User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting. So this confirms that when CHP actually looks at your rig, they're looking at tire ratings vs the gross rear axle rating or actual rear axle load. Did they look at the GVWR sticker on the trailer and that of the truck? It sounds like they at least looked at the GVWR of the trailer, because that's how they must have determined the driver has a DL that was out of class. But they actually used the actual load on the rear axle and the load rating of the rear tires to determine if you were over load.

Everyone always posts about being overweight according to your yellow payload sticker, but folks who've actually been inspected usually state that the inspector looks at the rear axle load compared to the rear tire load ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by RSteele View Post
    I saw theCHP inspecting rv’ s on the way to Glamis in California last year. They were stopping all rv’s on the highway. This is a large sand dune area popular for off-roading. Many people have toyhauler’s that are waaay overweight for the trucks they are attached to and you have to haul water with you to this area, it is primitive pick a patch of sand camping. My inspection consisted of the CHP Officer having me pull my drive axel onto the scales and then he looked at the tires. I assume he was looking at weight ratings. He then checked my license and let me continue on my way. I saw at least 5 truck trailer combinations pulled over receiving citations. I later talked to one of the drivers camped near us and he received an overweight ticket and another for no non-commercial or commercial class a license. The licensing for weight in California isn’t what the trailer weighs on the scale its is what it is capable of weighing at max or gvwr.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ra&Ta350 View Post
    Hard to get tires that exceed the axles in most HD trucks. Ram sez my rear axle is only capable of carrying 6.5k lbs. AAM who makes the axle sez 11k lbs. I can’t find tires that carry 11k (5.5k per tire) for my truck. A little over 4K lbs is the best I can find.
    It's a lot easier if you have a Dually.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Very interesting. So this confirms that when CHP actually looks at your rig, they're looking at tire ratings vs the gross rear axle rating or actual rear axle load. Did they look at the GVWR sticker on the trailer and that of the truck? It sounds like they at least looked at the GVWR of the trailer, because that's how they must have determined the driver has a DL that was out of class. But they actually used the actual load on the rear axle and the load rating of the rear tires to determine if you were over load.

Everyone always posts about being overweight according to your yellow payload sticker, but folks who've actually been inspected usually state that the inspector looks at the rear axle load compared to the rear tire load ratings.
    The Officernever had me open the door to look at the sticker. When they run your plate they can get the vin. Not sure if they are getting information this way. He definitely went right to the ratings sticker on the trailer. I have never seen this go on anywhere else but this area is known for high volumes of people with toys. I have seen quite a few over 40’ toyhaulers being hauled with 3/4 ton srw pick ups.
    2019 Momentum 351m. 1200 watts solar, Victron Inverter/charger, Battery monitor, 150/100 solar charge controller, 3 170 ah Renogy LIPO batteries. 2017 Ram 3500 SRW SB wireless 1 airbags. Reese Gooseball, B&W turnover ball.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There you have it. It's the GVWR of the trailer that determines your DL class in California. Over 15k lbs you need a non-commercial class A. 10-15k lbs, you need a trailer endorsement on your DL known as "Restriction 41".

And to determine whether you're overweight on the truck, law enforcement looks at the rear tire load ratings, not the yellow payload sticker.

Quote Originally Posted by RSteele View Post
    The Officernever had me open the door to look at the sticker. When they run your plate they can get the vin. Not sure if they are getting information this way. He definitely went right to the ratings sticker on the trailer. I have never seen this go on anywhere else but this area is known for high volumes of people with toys. I have seen quite a few over 40’ toyhaulers being hauled with 3/4 ton srw pick ups.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    There you have it. It's the GVWR of the trailer that determines your DL class in California. Over 15k lbs you need a non-commercial class A. 10-15k lbs, you need a trailer endorsement on your DL known as "Restriction 41".

And to determine whether you're overweight on the truck, law enforcement looks at the rear tire load ratings, not the yellow payload sticker.
    I believe 15k for 5er, 10k for bumper pull.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So so glad I left California. My ADOT registration fees for both RV and Truck were what I paid for truck only in California. That plus the California regulations are over the top.
    2020 Solitude 372WB
    2017 F350 Superduty 4x4, Heavy Duty Tow Package
    2900 Superglide Hitch, MORryde Rubber Pinbox
    Zinny, Golden Retriever (rescue)
    Belle, Golden Retriever (rescue)

"Life With a Dog is a Gift"

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345