User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Argh!! Axle Alignment, Worn Tires.

I discovered the other day that the inside tread of both front axel tires is worn down to the 'time to replace' wear marker. Probably less than 14,000 miles. Not sure if these will have to be replaced. Just made an appointment with an alignment shop for next week.

My relationship with tires is not the best. Truck is going need new ones too before I leave in March for the 2021 trek. At least I got 50,00 miles out of those.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    I discovered the other day that the inside tread of both front axel tires is worn down to the 'time to replace' wear marker. Probably less than 14,000 miles. Not sure if these will have to be replaced. Just made an appointment with an alignment shop for next week.

My relationship with tires is not the best. Truck is going need new ones too before I leave in March for the 2021 trek. At least I got 50,00 miles out of those.
    Weigh it. There are two common reasons for this.
    1. It is over loaded
    2. It's axles are undersized.

GD seems to be pretty good about putting properly sized axles on.... Compared to other brands anyway.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The weight on the axels is just over 12,000 lbs. So weight should not be an issue. As soon as I explained what was happening to the alignment tech he immediately said the axels are not aligned. I suppose one could be bent, maybe it is just alignment. The alignment shop is well know and well respected. They'll figure this out.

I think before I bother GD for new axels if they are needed I'd just put on a MorRyde IS and be done with this.
    Larry KE4DMG

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The weight on the axels is just over 12,000 lbs. So weight should not be an issue. As soon as I explained what was happening to the alignment tech he immediately said the axels are not aligned. I suppose one could be bent, maybe it is just alignment. The alignment shop is well know and well respected. They'll figure this out.

I think before I bother GD for new axels if they are needed I'd just put on a MorRyde IS and be done with this.
    Unlike an automobile, there is really no such thing as aligning trailer axles. If the spring hangers are welded on in the proper locations, and the axles are not bent (damaged) then it is aligned. If the alignment issue is due to damage, then why/how did it happen? If due to being undersized, then you need stronger axles. If due to the spring hangers being installed in the wrong locations, then fix that.
    A so called alignment consists of bending the axles. Though this can work, I am not a fan of this approach. An axle that has been bent to compensate for another issue can be weaker than it should be, and more importantly.. If a axle replacement is ever needed due to an impact, or a spun bearing, then the replacement would need to be "bent" to match the one that had been "aligned" earlier. If the root problem such as improper hanger install had been fixed, then a new axle could be bolted up, and you would be back on the road. I have had a couple of bearing issues that caused me to have replace an axle on the road. That was not too bad. finding an alignment shop to finish the job would have been a challenge.
    Last edited by huntindog; 12-29-2020 at 02:54 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    following.....
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Installing the I/S, along with disc brakes was one of the best improvements we have done on our unit, although expensive. If planning on doing much travelling, I would recommend it, and not even consider trying to fix the original factory suspension.
    Gordo Fuchs
    Northfield, Ohio 44067
    2015 305RE Moryde I/S, Electric/hydraulic disc brakes
    2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gordofuchs View Post
    Installing the I/S, along with disc brakes was one of the best improvements we have done on our unit, although expensive. If planning on doing much travelling, I would recommend it, and not even consider trying to fix the original factory suspension.
    I agree. I'll be calling MorRyde, but at this rate tires won't last from here to Indiana. And I am not able to get there until late summer or early fall anyway. Let's see what the alignment shop says. I have all the confidence that they will adjust them. They have for countless folks here in our resort.
    Larry KE4DMG

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    Unlike an automobile, there is really no such thing as aligning trailer axles. If the spring hangers are welded on in the proper locations, and the axles are not bent (damaged) then it is aligned. If the alignment issue is due to damage, then why/how did it happen? If due to being undersized, then you need stronger axles. If due to the spring hangers being installed in the wrong locations, then fix that.
    A so called alignment consists of bending the axles. Though this can work, I am not a fan of this approach. An axle that has been bent to compensate for another issue can be weaker than it should be, and more importantly.. If a axle replacement is ever needed due to an impact, or a spun bearing, then the replacement would need to be "bent" to match the one that had been "aligned" earlier. If the root problem such as improper hanger install had been fixed, then a new axle could be bolted up, and you would be back on the road. I have had a couple of bearing issues that caused me to have replace an axle on the road. That was not too bad. finding an alignment shop to finish the job would have been a challenge.
    I've had two different trailers needing axles bent for re-alignment. 1st one had Lippert 4400# axles. Tech guy said the axle material was soft so he added extra camber to both axles.
    2nd trailer had 5200# AL-CO axles. Tech didn't say anything about the axle material, however he did mention that even when they do new axle installs they always do a an alighnment since there's a good chance that the new axle is not perfectly straight.

I went to this place in Oregon as the 1st shop where i live no longer does RV axles alignments.
    https://kaiserbrakealignment.com/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    I've had two different trailers needing axles bent for re-alignment. 1st one had Lippert 4400# axles. Tech guy said the axle material was soft so he added extra camber to both axles.
    2nd trailer had 5200# AL-CO axles. Tech didn't say anything about the axle material, however he did mention that even when they do new axle installs they always do a an alighnment since there's a good chance that the new axle is not perfectly straight.

I went to this place in Oregon as the 1st shop where i live no longer does RV axles alignments.

If I may ask, what did your alignment cost? I know you are in Oregon, but just trying to get comparative info. Around here (North of Denver) all the shops and dealers recommend a heavy truck service center (Trans West). When I called in 2018 they wanted $560 for an alignment on a dual axle RV trailer. "More if they have to spend a lot of time on it.". Seams high and a little open ended to me, but maybe I am just out of touch.

Thank you

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post

Axles can be speced with different tube wall thicknesses.
    somtimes referred to as light, medium , or heavy walled tubes. There is a dramatic difference in the weight and strength of the 3 different class tubes.. I doubt that the steel in your axles was actually soft, more likely it was just a light tube. Regardless, overbending to "compensate" for a soft or weak (light) tube is not a proper fix. Getting a stronger axle is. Good thing you don't use that tech anymore
    Last edited by huntindog; 12-31-2020 at 05:44 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast