User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I run the speed limit or with traffic - whichever is safer. By safety if I am impeding and folks are passing dangerously I will speed up. There is nothing more frustrating to run into an RV doing 60 on a 70 mph road holding back a dozen vehicles. That makes folks take chances. If I'm pulling a grade or slower in the mountains I will pull over to let folks by. I also try and keep my distance from folks in front of me. Unfortunately in ABQ New Mexico that invites folks to cut in front and cross lanes. Same for the Dallas area.

My scariest experience was 20 years ago in California. I had camped in the Napa Valley and came out on to a 6 lane road (Very heavy traffic) I was in the right lane and then two new right lanes opened up. I went 20 miles trying to move over to get off (signal on). A person might back off to make room, but then someone cut in. I gut lucky that two semis saw my problem and got me over. Good thing I had the CB. Traffic was running no slower than 75 too. I found a country road to get to the coast. I gave up of even thinking of seeing San Francisco. The kids were scared too.

So in a nut shell I try and travel at speeds I feel safe, and try not to impede others. The other thing is to try and go through major city's outside of rush hour.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never go over 65

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually travel between 65 & 67 on the interstate. There are two lanes for a reason and I don't care if people pass me.
    2019 Reflection 315RLTS
    2019 Ford F250 Lariat SuperCab PSD SRW

Former set up:
    2013 Kodiak 291RESL
    2017 Ford F150 Platinum

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    I run the speed limit or with traffic - whichever is safer. By safety if I am impeding and folks are passing dangerously I will speed up. There is nothing more frustrating to run into an RV doing 60 on a 70 mph road holding back a dozen vehicles. That makes folks take chances. If I'm pulling a grade or slower in the mountains I will pull over to let folks by. I also try and keep my distance from folks in front of me. Unfortunately in ABQ New Mexico that invites folks to cut in front and cross lanes. Same for the Dallas area.

My scariest experience was 20 years ago in California. I had camped in the Napa Valley and came out on to a 6 lane road (Very heavy traffic) I was in the right lane and then two new right lanes opened up. I went 20 miles trying to move over to get off (signal on). A person might back off to make room, but then someone cut in. I gut lucky that two semis saw my problem and got me over. Good thing I had the CB. Traffic was running no slower than 75 too. I found a country road to get to the coast. I gave up of even thinking of seeing San Francisco. The kids were scared too.

So in a nut shell I try and travel at speeds I feel safe, and try not to impede others. The other thing is to try and go through major city's outside of rush hour.
    These are examples I'm looking for. Is it unwise/unsafe to go the speed limit to keep up with traffic? What if the speed limit is 75MPH??? What if it is a 2 lane highway (one lane each direction) with a speed limit of 70/75MPH? With my trailer, it has the factory 15" westlake tires that have a "L" speed rating which is 75MPH. In my eyes, even if I'm impeding traffic, I do not want to max out the speed rating of the tire. The truck and trailer can travel 75+ without issue and without the feeling of being "unsafe". BUT if tire failure occurs..... that's what scares me...... sidenote: if I upgrade to a tire with a speed rating of 87 MPH does that change anything/everything??? Please give me your thoughts and thanks for all the input and personal experiences thus far. These forums are a HUGE wealth of knowledge for someone like me!!!!!!
    Last edited by Tgunter5; 12-31-2020 at 09:16 AM.
    2020 GMC Sierra 2500 AT4 6.6L Gasser
    2020 Imagine 2400BH

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tgunter5 View Post
    These are examples I'm looking for. Is it unwise/unsafe to go the speed limit to keep up with traffic? What if the speed limit is 75MPH??? What if it is a 2 lane highway (one lane each direction) with a speed limit of 70/75MPH? With my trailer, it has the factory 15" westlake tires that have a "L" speed rating which is 75MPH. In my eyes, even if I'm impeding traffic, I do not want to max out the speed rating of the tire. The truck and trailer can travel 75+ without issue and without and feeling of being "unsafe". BUT if tire failure occurs..... that's what scares me...... sidenote: if I upgrade to a tire with a speed rating of 87 MPH does that change anything/everything??? Please give me your thoughts and thanks for all the input and personal experiences thus far. These forums are a HUGE wealth of knowledge for someone like me!!!!!!
    You ask some very good questions. Many of the answers would be based on conditions at that time to determine if it is safe.

If it is one lane each direction (not a divided road) rule of thumb is go only as fast as is safe for YOU. As people collect behind you and as available move over in a turn-out to allow cars to pass, as well as use of passing lanes. On divided roads stay in the right lane unless passing someone slower than you, and only do so when safe fir you and them. NEVER go faster than is safe for you and your rig. Basic guidelines exist, but only you can make those decisions.

Upgrade in tire speed rating on your tires will not necessarily make your rig safer at speed if it was never meant to go that fast to begin with. It will minimize potential blowout under load.

Good Luck in your travels!
    Last edited by Redapple63; 12-30-2020 at 09:03 PM.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only go as fast as I am comfortable with and feel safe with. Just because tires have a speed rating doesn't mean that is the speed you need to go. It is merely a not to exceed rating.

I will travel on the interstates but if traffic is getting crazy or busy I'll get off onto a back road. For example, I never go on I75 through Ocala and Gainesville Florida. Drivers are too dangerous along that stretch and there are too many accidents. Something I don't want to get caught up in.

Bottom line, there is no one answer that fits all. It depends on a number of factors, primarily your trailer and TV setup and what YOU are comfortable with. I am perfectly fine with hanging out in the right lane at 68 mph a d let everyone pass me. It's a lot less work if I don't have to pass others.

Happy travels and whatever you decide, be safe!
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    It's the main reason I bought endurance tires...the speed rating of 87mph.
    If you follow Dr Emmett L. Brown's advice, if you go just one more mile per hour faster, you can get there before you left...

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Between 60 and 65 for us, 70 for a short distance if i have to.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I drive per road conditions and not just speed limit signs. In summer heat I'll keep speed down to avoid tire problems just as if I hit some thunderstorms..side winds or even traffic slowing down for bad weather. Night time and fog are good examples of slowing down for conditions and you could also throw in bumpy roads in there too! Guys up North in the winter can vouch for slowing down in snow or worse icy roads even if posted limits may say 70 mph limits. Most campers come with drum brakes..marginal suspensions and iffy tires to be running long distances on. I find that running 65 mph in a 70 mph posted limit with almost ideal conditions will get you and your family to your destination safely...and that's what it's all about. I drove over a million miles in tanker trucks that were limited to 55 mph in the 70's and 80's so 65 mph to me is nice!!
    2018 Grand Design Solitude 377MBS

2017 Ford F-350 Lariat DRW...FX4...4.10's...White Gold/Caribou with Black interior. Curt Q20 hitch. BakFlip MX4

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    Hmmmm. I usually go 10kmh or so over the speed limit or max at 125kmh (6mph over or max of 80mph). It's the main reason I bought endurance tires...the speed rating of 87mph.
    I keep it at about 70mph max when I'm hauling the boat behind the 5th.
    I'll be retired next year though. I may become more of a "it's the journey" more than "I gotta get there" kind of person. If that becomes the case I'll get one of those bumper stickers that says 'I'm Retired....go around me"..lol
    This is pretty much what we do as well but I generally don't go over 120kmh or 75mph unless I am passing someone.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast