User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usually no faster than 65 mph on the interstates - slower depending on conditions and traffic. I really enjoy sitting in the right lane and letting all the other folks in a hurry go on by. A lot less stress and its easier on the equipment. On two lane highways, try to do the speed limit and maintain a safe stopping distance. Reliable tires, a TPMS, correct pressures, and knowing your weights are also important parts of the mix.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LV Naturist View Post
    If you follow Dr Emmett L. Brown's advice, if you go just one more mile per hour faster, you can get there before you left...

John
    But the 303RLS isn't quite as aerodynamic as a DeLorean.....Might need two or three flux capacitors...
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tgunter5 View Post
    These are examples I'm looking for. Is it unwise/unsafe to go the speed limit to keep up with traffic? What if the speed limit is 75MPH??? What if it is a 2 lane highway (one lane each direction) with a speed limit of 70/75MPH? With my trailer, it has the factory 15" westlake tires that have a "L" speed rating which is 75MPH. In my eyes, even if I'm impeding traffic, I do not want to max out the speed rating of the tire. The truck and trailer can travel 75+ without issue and without the feeling of being "unsafe". BUT if tire failure occurs..... that's what scares me...... sidenote: if I upgrade to a tire with a speed rating of 87 MPH does that change anything/everything??? Please give me your thoughts and thanks for all the input and personal experiences thus far. These forums are a HUGE wealth of knowledge for someone like me!!!!!!
    The key thing is if you are on a 75 MPH 2 road and your only doing 65-70 - keep an eye on how many are behind you. If more than 3 find a place to let them pass. The other thing if there is a good long passing zone you can slow down to making passing easier. Bottom line - stay in your comfort zone.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tgunter5 View Post
    These are examples I'm looking for. Is it unwise/unsafe to go the speed limit to keep up with traffic? What if the speed limit is 75MPH??? What if it is a 2 lane highway (one lane each direction) with a speed limit of 70/75MPH? With my trailer, it has the factory 15" westlake tires that have a "L" speed rating which is 75MPH. In my eyes, even if I'm impeding traffic, I do not want to max out the speed rating of the tire. The truck and trailer can travel 75+ without issue and without the feeling of being "unsafe". BUT if tire failure occurs..... that's what scares me...... sidenote: if I upgrade to a tire with a speed rating of 87 MPH does that change anything/everything??? Please give me your thoughts and thanks for all the input and personal experiences thus far. These forums are a HUGE wealth of knowledge for someone like me!!!!!!
    If speed limits are 70mph, I sit in the right lane at 65mph with the trucks and other slow movers. I personally would never tow anything at 75mph - there's alot that can go wrong at any speed and towing something at those speeds just isn't a good idea IMO. Also, there are so many variables to consider: day/night, weather, traffic, elevations, etc. It's much more than tires. Others may feel differently. Dunno.

I may be wrong on this, but I thought throughout the U.S. that two lane highways were limited to 55mph. Most two lane roads we travel on have a limited on non-existent shoulder which ramps up the alertness factor. Also, I've never seen a two lane highway with a 70-75mph speed limit.

I'd also suggest some research on this forum and other sites regarding the reliability of Westlake tires. I'll leave it at that.

Safe travels and continue to ask your questions. There are some extremely knowledgeable people on this forum.
    Tim & Lisa
    2012 Silverado SRW LB 3500 Duramax
    2018 Reflection 337RLS, IS, Kodiak Discs

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timlisajax View Post
    I may be wrong on this, but I thought throughout the U.S. that two lane highways were limited to 55mph.
    I can't speak for other states but Hwy 97 in northern CA and southern OR is 2 lanes and 65mph. Of course, trucks with trailers are limited to 55mph in CA regardless of how many lanes the freeway has.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We travel on the freeway at 62 MPH. Trucks do too in Oregon. I don't mind watching all the people in a hurry go by. If we are traveling with the Solitude behind us, we are on vacation and stay in the relax mode is way easier at 62. We will get to where we are going in time. On 2 lane smooth roads we will stick close to 58 MPH and most of the time, not hold up much traffic. I'll use the pull off if necessary and slow down in the passing lane to let the people in a hurry go by.

Oregon has a few places that we travel that the roads a bumpy. Instead of fixing the bumps, ODOT will post a sign saying " caution. Bumpy Road ". I will slow down in those areas to 40 or 45 till it smooths out. If the people behind me don't like it "TOO BAD". I'll let them pass sooner or later.

I have travels all over this USA on a motorcycle and 95% of the 400,000 miles have been on 2 lane roads. The "real America" is on those roads.
    Once we retire (365 days give or take) the Solitude will be taking us to see the real America more as full time travelers. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always towed 60 mph max in all my rigs these past 30 years. Except ND, 65 mph. Its so flat.

That said, I always tow 5 mph below the posted speed in controlled intersections.

Last July we had an 83 year old gentleman pull out directly in front of us (2 seconds to brake) while towing our 5th wheel in a 55 mph zone. He was pulling out of a gas station and didn't look both ways, right next to a flashing yellow light. We almost hit him t-bone but ending up nailing him in the rear quarter panel instead. It saved his life, that extra second....

I was doing 50 mph and the impact was estimated to be around 35 mph by the time I braked. He was insured and at fault and his insurance company paid $6,000 in repairs and $2500 in a rental truck for us. They also paid for an inspection of our 5th wheel and offered to pay for any damage, inside or out. No damage to the 5th wheel though. Thankfully no airbags deployed because we had a Ranch Hand Grill Guard that prevented anything coming back into the radiator, intercooler and transmission cooler so we were able to limp home right after the accident.

I always wondered what it would be like braking hard with that much weight behind me....now I know! I am just thankful that we were traveling slower than the posted speed limit, that I had both hands on the wheel, and defensive driving class I took 40 years ago paid off. (This was the 3rd accident I've had in 46 years of driving, none were my fault and one of them was when I was riding a motorcycle)

skid marks and damage. You can see the tire marks of my trailer brakes locked up (they are set higher for mountain roads) and the 2nd set of skid marks is the 97 Chev blazer we hit, he got slammed off the road into the ditch and almost rolled but a ditch prevented him from rolling all the way over, he was up on two wheels though for a brief second.
    I had hit my brakes hard, but not so hard that I had no control over my direction, I sure as hell wasn't going to hit the ditch!

I took photos of the skid marks for insurance reasons (police do not respond to accidents in rural MT unless there are injuries)

Here is a photo of after the repairs. His insurance company thankfully did not total our 2000 F350 XLT HD 2WD Manual trans with 104,000 miles on a 7.3L diesel. This was Dad's truck when I bought it from him in 2018, the year I retired. Always garaged and has never seen a winter. It had 63,000 miles on it when I bought it from Dad.

Last edited by Sportsdad60; 01-01-2021 at 06:29 AM.
    2021 310GK-R - MorRyde suspension and pin box. Sumo Springs. Solar, 7k axles.
    2019 Lance 1062 Truck Camper, 2 slides.
    2021 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 6.7 diesel, 10 speed auto, 3.55 diff-48 gallon fuel capacity
    2000 F350 XLT HD SRW 2WD 7.3L diesel, 6-speed manual trans, 3.73 diff - Firestone Airbags-Bilstein Shocks. 82 gallon fuel capacity

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timlisajax View Post

I may be wrong on this, but I thought throughout the U.S. that two lane highways were limited to 55mph.
    You need to get out more (jk)! Montana is 75 mph. I’ll also second the comment about pulling over to let others pass, there’s nothing more frustrating than being stuck behind an entitled slow poke holding up dozens of others. Happy new year!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportsdad60 View Post
    Last July we had an 83 year old gentleman pull out directly in front of us (2 seconds to brake) while towing our 5th wheel in a 55 mph zone. He was pulling out of a gas station and didn't look both ways, right next to a flashing yellow light. We almost hit him t-bone but ending up nailing him in the rear quarter panel instead. It saved his life, that extra second....

That was scary. I had a similar event in Canada. We had just upgraded the trailer brakes to electric/hydraulic disk brakes a few months before. Fellow making a left turn out of a gas station across two lanes on a 4 lane road, no median (aka suicide lane). We were in the left lane and slightly behind a tanker truck, the tanker truck was pulling into the gas station and had slowed to a stop with his blinker on. The guy was thoughtful and wanted to clear the entry for the tanker, but didn't see us behind the tanker. I had already started to slow, not sure if the tanker was going to swing wide or not when this Ford Taurus pops out from in the front of the tanker. Emergency stop; I think there may be a hole under the brake pedal were I pushed it through the floor board. I got stopped 6 inches from the driver side door, he could easily see the bugs on my radiator grill. No external damage but I had some stuff come loose in the Momentum. I pulled a motorcycle tie down out of the floor. It's since been reinforced.

9 years, round and round the US several time, thousands of towing miles. Slower is faster.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thankfully no airbags deployed because we had a Ranch Hand Grill Guard that prevented anything coming back into the radiator, intercooler and transmission cooler so we were able to limp home right after the accident.

I've often wondered how the grill guards affect airbag deployment. Personally, I'd rather have the airbag go off than risk injury because I was trying to protect the truck.
    ~Dean

2019 Ford F250 Supercab, 6.2L
    2023 GD Imagine AIM 18BH
    2012 Harley FLHRC, Deep Purple,; 2012 Honda PCX150
    "Auctioneer, specializing in FL onsite auctions"

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast