User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Switching to LiFePO4 battery

I am planning on upgrading the factory battery on my ‘22 247BH to LiFePO4 batteries. I know I need to change out stock charge controller to one designed for lithium. I am trying to keep the setup as simple as possible. I know the control panel button inside the trailer that shows how “charged” the battery is not the best, but will it still give me a general idea of what the battery has left, or will I HAVE to install something different. It’s mostly for my wife. She wants to be able to check as easily as possible, so she wants to avoid the Bluetooth to the phone stuff as well. Thanks

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshish View Post
    I am planning on upgrading the factory battery on my ‘22 247BH to LiFePO4 batteries. I know I need to change out stock charge controller to one designed for lithium. I am trying to keep the setup as simple as possible. I know the control panel button inside the trailer that shows how “charged” the battery is not the best, but will it still give me a general idea of what the battery has left, or will I HAVE to install something different. It’s mostly for my wife. She wants to be able to check as easily as possible, so she wants to avoid the Bluetooth to the phone stuff as well. Thanks
    First off, it looks like you're new here, welcome to the forum. First, while your stock converter/charge would most likely not fully charge the LiFePo4 batteries, it will still work fine. If you have solar, the solar controller may have a LiFePo4 setting which will finish the charging for you. Second, the battery indicator on the control panel is virtually useless. You'll want a battery monitor with a shunt. Renogy has one with a wired monitor (most want the Bluetooth, but as you say not your DW). Let us know how you make out.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe consider putting in a small voltage display that is accurate. You will need to run a "phone" type cable from battery area up to where you choose to put display. Have a look but be warned; the rabbit hole you are stepping into is VERY deep !
    2024 Brinkley z2900
    2019 F350 Platinum, Shorter bed, Diesel, SRW, 3.55 rear, 55gal tank!
    2016 F150 Platinum (traded in for F350 fall 2019)
    2022 GD 2970RL (Sold, 2023-Oct)
    2016 GD 2600rb (Sold. 2022-May)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot depends on how you plan on using your trailer and how paranoid you are!

For instance:

We don’t camp or glamp.

We haul our motel room around.

If we spend a night without hook-ups, it is while in transit.

So, we only need the refrigerator to keep things cold and lights.

200Ah worth of batteries and a solar charger are all we need.

It will be blasphemy to some, but the only thing for which I need that stock voltage meter is to see if the panels are charging, or not.

I am not worried about drawing down the batteries or how long I can stay unhooked before losing juice.

So, for me, a good converter/charger, a low-voltage detection circuit and a couple of Lithium batteries and I am good to go.

I would have kept the stock setup, if it could have kept the refrigerator running overnight.

But, it couldn’t, so it had to go.

I could have just added another battery, but the lower weight and higher usable capacity, along with a good deal on a pair of Battle Born batteries sealed the deal.

Never let “the best” be the enemy of “good enough”.

An accurate assessment of your needs is the place to start.
    Last edited by Najataagihe; 07-10-2023 at 06:17 PM.
    2023 Reflection 315RLTS
    2017 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 6.7L Diesel
    Hensley Swift Arrow

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wudwork View Post
    Maybe consider putting in a small voltage display that is accurate. You will need to run a "phone" type cable from battery area up to where you choose to put display. Have a look but be warned; the rabbit hole you are stepping into is VERY deep !
    No matter how accurate a voltmeter you use, it's still not a very good way to know what a LFP battery has left. A good example: The difference between a battery voltage of 13.00 and 13.25 is the difference between a battery being at 30% SOC and 80% SOC. The best way to monitor a LFP battery's state of charge is to monitor the the remaining Amp Hours, and that is done with a battery shunt, something like a Victron 712 or others.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    new here , first post . bought a new 391DL today. My first mod will lifepo4 as well. contact eco batteries, dakota lithium or bolt lithium. easy to find on the web or FB, tell them what you want to do and they will figure out the rest for you. i have been using ECO battery for my golf cart builds and they are awesome to deal with. Their BMS has built a built in shunt and the SOC gauge they supply is extremely accurate.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ls1chris View Post
    new here , first post . bought a new 391DL today. My first mod will lifepo4 as well. contact eco batteries, dakota lithium or bolt lithium. easy to find on the web or FB, tell them what you want to do and they will figure out the rest for you. i have been using ECO battery for my golf cart builds and they are awesome to deal with. Their BMS has built a built in shunt and the SOC gauge they supply is extremely accurate.
    Welcome to the forum, glad to have you. Sounds like you have a bit of experience, let us know if you run into any snags.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S