Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Change side running light to running light/flasher

Our trailer has an amber running light on each side near the bottom of the trailer. I'd like to have it flash with the turn signal. Ought to be a pretty easy mod, right? Any guesses on how much of the trailer I'm going to have to disassemble?

Without opening anything up, my initial thinking is to simply find the turn signal wire at the front of the trailer and add another wire to it in parallel, then run that wire back to the existing running light. The new light has three wires: running light, turn signal, and ground, so I ought to be able to use the two existing wires and add the third one. I'm guessing it won't take more than a few days per side.

What do you think? Anyone actually do this before?
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd think you should be able to tap into the turn signals where the 7-pin connects to the trailer wiring. You will need to add a turn signal wire for each side and should be able to use the existing running light wiring. One thing I have run into trying replace my running lights with side view cameras is the wires of the new fixture do not line up with the existing wire hole and I can't reposition it due to the pass-through storage interference. I'm still mulling over the best way to handle it and more importantly how to best fill a 1/2" hole to prevent water damage. With this in mind before you start I would pull one of your running lights to see how things line up so you know how much extra work you might have to do.
    2023 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2023 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
    Our trailer has an amber running light on each side near the bottom of the trailer. I'd like to have it flash with the turn signal. Ought to be a pretty easy mod, right? Any guesses on how much of the trailer I'm going to have to disassemble?

Without opening anything up, my initial thinking is to simply find the turn signal wire at the front of the trailer and add another wire to it in parallel, then run that wire back to the existing running light. The new light has three wires: running light, turn signal, and ground, so I ought to be able to use the two existing wires and add the third one. I'm guessing it won't take more than a few days per side.

What do you think? Anyone actually do this before?
    Should be easy but you will need to replace the light with one set up for clearance and turn. Examples https://www.amazon.com/Partsam-Clear...zcF9hdGY&psc=1
    https://www.google.com/search?q=RV+c...t=gws-wiz-serp

At each rear corner (outside the frame) of the trailer you should find the turn signal wiring. It will be the same color as found at the pin box or 7 pin connection. You will need to properly tap and run a new wire forward to the clearance light or lights once you change them out.

Hope this helps
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just changed the 110 receptacles on each side of my couch and noticed the tail light wires back in the bases of the "end tables" looking through the hole when I removed the receptacle.. You may also be able to access the wiring to the clearance lights through the "end tables" by removing the floors of each one.
    2019 2970RL
    2020 F250

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, all. Yes, I know I'll need new lights. Mostly, I was wondering if there are any hidden gotchas. I replaced those lights on our previous rv and it was a pretty easy job.
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post

Without opening anything up, my initial thinking is to simply find the turn signal wire at the front of the trailer and add another wire to it in parallel, then run that wire back to the existing running light. The new light has three wires: running light, turn signal, and ground, so I ought to be able to use the two existing wires and add the third one. I'm guessing it won't take more than a few days per side
    Does it matter if these two clearance lights turn-on, along with the brake lights??
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 226RK
    2022 F350 CC SB SRW 7.3

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by retired_engineer View Post
    I'm still mulling over the best way to handle it and more importantly how to best fill a 1/2" hole to prevent water damage. With this in mind before you start I would pull one of your running lights to see how things line up so you know how much extra work you might have to do.
    I did this on our 22MLE as well. To cover the portion of the hole that was visible I purchased a sheet of black PVC. You can cut it with a razor blade (scoring it several times) and shape it with a file and/or sandpaper. I chose to make it the same shape as the camera/light base but 1/2" larger than the base so that it covered the portion of the hole that was visible, with enough extra that I could fill the hole with sealant and seal under the edges of the PVC piece and around it once installed. It blended in well enough that it looked factory when it was done. If you didn't look at two of them side by side I don't know that someone would know it wasn't factory. Just an idea...
    (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    I did this on our 22MLE as well. To cover the portion of the hole that was visible I purchased a sheet of black PVC. You can cut it with a razor blade (scoring it several times) and shape it with a file and/or sandpaper. I chose to make it the same shape as the camera/light base but 1/2" larger than the base so that it covered the portion of the hole that was visible, with enough extra that I could fill the hole with sealant and seal under the edges of the PVC piece and around it once installed. It blended in well enough that it looked factory when it was done. If you didn't look at two of them side by side I don't know that someone would know it wasn't factory. Just an idea...
    (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
    Thanks for posting this I like it. I've been kind of busy so haven't spent any time on the side view cameras. I take the trailer in Wednesday for some warranty work this should cut my time to get the cameras mounted once I get the trailer back.
    2023 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2023 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this could be a great idea, but you might want to check your state vehicle laws to see if side running lights are required on trailers. If that's the case, you would need to change the fixture to support two independently-wired lights.
    Roger & Leonard
    Imagine XLS 21BHE / RAM 1500 5.7L

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made it easy on myself and just added an extra light just above marker light. It comes on with turn signal and brake.