User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Transcend and freezing nights

We live in Tennessee and was wondering about taking our Transcend out for camping in the northern part of state when the weather might be daytime in the 30's and drop to below freezing at night. We didn't take it today due to the dropping temperatures and really would have liked a few days in the mountains.

My concern is with the black water valve and the 2 grey water valves and pipes that hang below the coroplast. How should I protect them from freezing and would it hurt them to freeze based on the camper is suppose to have a heat duct above the coroplast. Lastly should I concern myself with the fresh water dump valve and the hot and cold drain valves that also hang below the coroplast?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I plan to wrap with some sort of insulation when I run into this situation. if the furnace is running should be ok.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plastic pipes and stuff can usually stretch enough to accommodate some freezing. Dump valves can get frozen shut, so plan some time to let them thaw.
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RickLight View Post
    Plastic pipes and stuff can usually stretch enough to accommodate some freezing. Dump valves can get frozen shut, so plan some time to let them thaw.
    Thanks, that's exactly what I was worried about, is the valves freezing. If that's the only problem and it won't damage them, that would be great. But just to be safe, I might pick up some heat tape and insulation. Wish they had tucked the valves in the underbelly like the Imagine line did.

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The PVC that the drain pipes are made of is more brittle and will break if water freezes inside them. They are not the "plastic pipes" referred to by @RickLight (Pex or flexible water lines). Being below the Coroplast underbelly, the exposed valves and drain pipe(s) above them are at risk for cracking at temps below freezing if there is fluid behind the valves. In addition, simply adding insulation without a heat source won't be of much help, either. The only truly safe way to approach this would be with a short length of heat tape on the pipes (from where they exit the Coroplast) wrapped with insulation. The Transcend trailers are not designed nor constructed to handle freezing temperatures well. People who are stationary in RVs built this way usually skirt the trailer and put a heat source underneath - not practical for weekend camping.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pour a jug of antifreeze in the tanks? It would need to be cold for an extended time for the pipes to freeze.

DAN
    2016 Reflection 323BHS
    2006 5.9L Ram Megacab

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoElkhounds View Post
    Pour a jug of antifreeze in the tanks? It would need to be cold for an extended time for the pipes to freeze.

DAN
    RV antifreeze is designed to be used - and only provides protection - full strength. Adding any water to the tanks along with the antifreeze will defeat its purpose. Even automotive antifreeze (which should not be used in RV applications) is formulated for use at only 50% dilution.

My brother-in-law uses his fifth wheel (a Reflection) for hunting in Colorado and New Mexico in the winter. He just winterizes the rig and uses jugs of water for drinking and cooking... and does the rest of it in the woods.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was suggesting RV antifreeze, certainly not ethylene glycol!! But your point is valid.

In any event, I camp a lot in cold up here in New York and my experience is that it takes some time for anything to freeze when temps are only down in the upper 20's and lower 30's. The ambient heat from the trailer and the adding of warm water to the tank under daily use keeps things thawed out. The sun and higher temps in the day also help.

DAN
    2016 Reflection 323BHS
    2006 5.9L Ram Megacab

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I've been given a good plan and know I should be concerned about the waste water pipes. Heat tape and insulation will be kept in the storage locker.
    This came up a few weeks ago, when we were in Cumberland Gap National park near where my girl is in school. The weather was mostly in the 40's at night, and we needed to leave to camper for a couple of days and as we were driving out of the park, looked at the weather and found it had changed to being in the 20's at night. So with that we went back to the camper and I emptied the 2 grey water tanks and black water tank and even left the valves open (into my portable tank). I also drained down all the water lines and hot water heater (I know it's the least of the problem, but might as well). All of this took me maybe 30 minutes but gave me 2 days of piece of mind. Most likely with only the short freeze all would have been fine, but I really didn't know and didn't want to damage anything on my new camper.
    I was more determining if I over reacting, but from you guys discussing this feel I most likely did the right thing. Mountain weather is a bit unpredictable. Thanks again.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All. We occasionally camp when temps are at or just below freezing at night. I appreciate the enclosed underbelly of the Transcend and how it can keep the plumbing and tanks from freezing. Having the heating vents in the walls also means you can put down throw rugs which helps it feel a bit more cozy on a chilly night. The insulation and colder weather camping features were part of why we went with a Grand Design camper.

Here are a few additional tips I have learned. Insulate your water hose or buy a heated hose. The transcend has an outlet in the universal docking station which would be handy to plug it in. Having the hose connection inside storage also helps keep it warm. You can buy an insulated bag that fits over the water spigot. In a pinch, use a large bucket and plastic bag to provide some insultation. However, if it is going to get really cold, remove your hose for the night. Some people fill their freshwater tank so they have water and then put their hose in the shower.

We normally use ceramic heaters to stay warm in the camper. However, when it gets below freezing, run your furnace on a low setting. Grand Design directs some warm air to the underbelly to keep it warm. Camper heaters burn through propane so be sure you have full tanks. If you aren't on an electric hookup, ensure a fully charged battery before night.

If there is a big difference in temps outside vs in, expect condensation. You may want to have damp rid or another type of dehumidifier.

I wrote up our lessons learned at: https://traveltrailsail.com/cold-wea...-camping-tips/ Hope that helps.
    2018 Grand Design Transcend 28MKS
    2010 Ram 2500
    Blog About Travel Planning, RV Camping, Outdoor Living

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast