Likes Likes:  0
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RV Tech Certifications - which is best?

Hi all -
    My wife and I are now full-time in a GD Solitude and we want to become proficient in every system so we're looking at getting RV Tech Certified. Based on research thus far it appears there a couple of options:

1) NRVTA: which provides many certifications, including for Service Tech, Master Tech, Park Owner, as well as a basic certification for RV Owners. https://nrvta.com/nrvta-training-pro...ated-rv-owner/

2) RVIA: which provides a similar curriculum roadmap. https://www.rvia.org/rv-technical-in...and-curriculum

Does anyone have any experience with these programs and which one is most valuable to get a legitimate RV training cert?

Thanks in advance!
    Jeff
    Jeff & Ally
    Started in Colorado Springs, Nov 2020 - full-timers
    Navy CPO ISC (SW/AW)
    RVIA Certified Tech (L1)
    2019 Grand Design - Solitude 377MBS
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax/Allison Standard Bed SRW

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptPicardo View Post
    Hi all -
    My wife and I are now full-time in a GD Solitude and we want to become proficient in every system so we're looking at getting RV Tech Certified. Based on research thus far it appears there a couple of options:

1) NRVTA: which provides many certifications, including for Service Tech, Master Tech, Park Owner, as well as a basic certification for RV Owners. https://nrvta.com/nrvta-training-pro...ated-rv-owner/

2) RVIA: which provides a similar curriculum roadmap. https://www.rvia.org/rv-technical-in...and-curriculum

Does anyone have any experience with these programs and which one is most valuable to get a legitimate RV training cert?

Thanks in advance!
    Jeff
    I thought about doing the inspector thing for a minute.

I'm an appliance technician now. An RV is just a bunch of appliances all grouped together.

Both places want a lot of money. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Andi337RLS - Andi and Mike, can you share anything about these options or others posted by Jeff & Aly ? I recall this fall when we were camping together that you all were talking about Mike possibly going to a RV Tech training this winter somewhere.....maybe in FL where you now are for the winter. Jealous by the way !

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a neighbor here at the park last year that went to the school in Palmetto, FL https://www.rvsa.net/ He seemed satisfied with his time there and earned his cert. As usual in RV life they moved on, so have no idea a year later if he felt it was worth 6 grand
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RVTI training costs $600, NRVTA around $6000.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me it depends on what your trying to accomplish. Do you want to be able to work on other owners RVs for profit, or are you just trying to become educated and proficient on operating, repairing and maintaining the specific systems of your RV. If the later, there is a lot of information out there on how to use, replace or repair the RV systems and components in them that is free. However some owners are just not capable of turning a wrench or understanding basic theory of operation, no matter how much education, and that's Ok too.

There are only three systems I can think of at the moment that will require some structured training / education for owners to work on or around them. The first two AC Power, DC Power. Some basic training, precaution, and knowledge of these power systems usually is enough for most owners, and again there is a lot of free education out there. A basic multimeter is enough for most people.

LP Propane - may require in-depth training depending on what your trying to do, requires excellent safety and special tools to trouble shoot issues. For this RV system - when in doubt -don't mess with it get a professional.

$600 or $6000 is a lot to pay for just being able to work on your own RV.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You-tube is your friend. You can find out how to fix just about anything on an RV there.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC