GY tread depth 8/32
    S637T tread depth 10/32 for the 80, 12/32 for the 85

Kind of a no brainer.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again all. I have historically just gone with the recommendations of our local tire dealer. They are family owned by a religious family, have done some simple mechanic work for me at no charge, as well as made recommendations for how we could save money on parts and repairs on an older vehicle that may not last a whole lot longer. As such, I trust them. I am now just learning the finer details about tires, so I'm going to throw a curve ball at you. I was heavily leaning towards the Sailun S637T and going with another dealer than my normal shop. However, I spoke to the local dealer this morning in detail about Load and Speed Ratings. My perception is that these 2 measures may not be mutually inclusive in trailer tires. For example, the Goodyear Endurance has a lower E load rating, but a higher N speed rating. In contract, the Sailun S637T have a higher G load rating but a lower L speed rating. He relayed that he believes the GY Endurance are a good tire, but he understands the desire to go with a higher load rating for a bigger camper. He went on to share that he was concerned about the speed rating on the Sailun if we were likely to take longer, freeway/open highway trips. He admitted that he doesn't have access to Sailun, so I'd have to take is opinion "with a grain of salt from a dealer that doesn't carry them or know much about them." Ultimately, he shared the advice that I shouldn't dismiss the speed rating. In turn, he noted they did carry one tire that would meet both of my stated requirements, with a G load rating and an N speed rating. This is seemingly offering the best of both worlds. I haven't yet done much research on them as far as warranty or reviews. They are Advanta AV3200 for $722.80 installed. By considering these am I ignoring your sage advice? Over or under thinking things?
    Last edited by Timmer; 01-04-2021 at 03:19 PM.
    Timmer
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 312BHTS
    2015 Ford F350, 6.2L Gas, Crew Cab

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    China made:
    The tire, he said, was manufactured by Qingdao Yellow Sea Rubber Co., part of China National Tire & Rubber Co., which is a subsidiary of ChemChina. American Pacific Industries of Scottsdale, Ariz., is the importer and trademark owner of Pegasus Advanta SUV tires,
    Personally I will never own another China made tire. China's quality control is terrible.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckskin View Post
    China made:
    The tire, he said, was manufactured by Qingdao Yellow Sea Rubber Co., part of China National Tire & Rubber Co., which is a subsidiary of ChemChina. American Pacific Industries of Scottsdale, Ariz., is the importer and trademark owner of Pegasus Advanta SUV tires,
    Personally I will never own another China made tire. China's quality control is terrible.
    I get that sentiment, but then again the Sailun are also from China, and they are highly regarded. My head is going to explode!
    Last edited by Timmer; 01-04-2021 at 04:05 PM.
    Timmer
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 312BHTS
    2015 Ford F350, 6.2L Gas, Crew Cab

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Sailun's shouldn't be much more than you've been quoted and, having seen them once and done a lot of reading, they are a great tire. IMHO, this is a nobrainer, get the 637's. If you could get the other tires for 1/2 the cost, then I'd think there's something to talk about, but at maybe 100-200 different? Get the best.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I would go with the American made Goodyear 'E' tire. 'G' tires are not really required for your trailer. Won't hurt, but not really necessary. A lot of my purchasing preference goes to where the product is made. Canada and USA at the top. China is not very high on my list and I try to avoid buying their products when a North American or European alternative is available.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
    I get that sentiment, but then again the Sailun are also from China, and they are highly regarded. My head is going to explode!
    Carlisles are also from China and work very well.
    Ayran and Paul McIntosh
    Box Elder, SD
    2020 Solitude 310GK "LaMancha"
    2017 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
    Thanks again all. I have historically just gone with the recommendations of our local tire dealer. They are family owned by a religious family, have done some simple mechanic work for me at no charge, as well as made recommendations for how we could save money on parts and repairs on an older vehicle that may not last a whole lot longer. As such, I trust them. I am now just learning the finer details about tires, so I'm going to throw a curve ball at you. I was heavily leaning towards the Sailun S637T and going with another dealer than my normal shop. However, I spoke to the local dealer this morning in detail about Load and Speed Ratings. My perception is that these 2 measures may not be mutually inclusive in trailer tires. For example, the Goodyear Endurance has a lower E load rating, but a higher N speed rating. In contract, the Sailun S637T have a higher G load rating but a lower L speed rating. He relayed that he believes the GY Endurance are a good tire, but he understands the desire to go with a higher load rating for a bigger camper. He went on to share that he was concerned about the speed rating on the Sailun if we were likely to take longer, freeway/open highway trips. He admitted that he doesn't have access to Sailun, so I'd have to take is opinion "with a grain of salt from a dealer that doesn't carry them or know much about them." Ultimately, he shared the advice that I shouldn't dismiss the speed rating. In turn, he noted they did carry one tire that would meet both of my stated requirements, with a G load rating and an N speed rating. This is seemingly offering the best of both worlds. I haven't yet done much research on them as far as warranty or reviews. They are Advanta AV3200 for $722.80 installed. By considering these am I ignoring your sage advice? Over or under thinking things?
    I have done 700 mile days with my Sailuns in a 20k trailer, going about 65mph. Didn't even get warm. They are awesome tires. Going faster than that just does not make sense on a large rig.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in the group of folks that never goes above 65 mph when towing. I abide by the cold inflation pressure requirements for the load on the tires, so I am very comfortable with a tire that is speed rated for 75 mph (L). With a larger rig, a higher load rating is much more important to me.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    G Rated Sailuns for sure. I run G Rated Goodyear G614s which are more expensive. I needed them quickly for a trip or I would have purchased the Sailuns if I had time.

I run my G-Rated tires at 100 psi on my Reflection 337RLS. 3 years now and not any issues.
    Are you running the original rims? If so, did you verify in anyway that they can handle 100 psi? I have a 2018 337RLS but haven't tried to find the max. pressure stamped somewhere on the rim. I think I'll either go with G rated Sailuns or E-rated Maxxis M8008 or Goodyear Endurance. Mostly based on price including installation.
    Greg
    2018 Reflection 337RLS, 2017 F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD short bed, Anderson Ultimate hitch

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast