User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: De-Winterize?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

De-Winterize?

How do I do this? I had it winterized and they left the plug out of the water heater. Do I put it back and just run water? Or do I leave it out and let it drain through? We're going away Wednesday and I was going to fill the tank with water for the trip to use while traveling.

Thanks!

Nevermind, found the video on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtQa...ature=emb_logo
    Last edited by EddieK82; 01-03-2021 at 08:42 PM.
    Ed & Kaitlin
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    2018 F350 SD Platinum FX4 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 55 Gallon Titan Tank, Air Lift 5000.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you just had it winterized and you essentially want to use the plumbing for your trip back...which will dewinterize it, just so you will have to winterize it again when you get home? Do I have that right?
    Sounds a little crazy. If it is only for one overnighter why not just pack a few jugs of water for drinking and washing up, use rest stops, gas stations or the great outdoors, and keep it winterized till Spring?
    If you must use the plumbing just Google winterize and the GD unit you have and you will find directions and videos.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Tim & Sue..with pups Iris and Sam
    2019 Solitude 375RES; 2019 Ford F350 XLT Dually; B&W Companion 25K Hitch
    Previously camped with a 1993 26' Dutchman TT and 2007 Trailmanor 2720SL
    Retiring in 1.5+ years
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...pic22370_7.gif http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCVAsm.jpg

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ttooley View Post
    So you just had it winterized and you essentially want to use the plumbing for your trip back...which will dewinterize it, just so you will have to winterize it again when you get home? Do I have that right?
    Sounds a little crazy. If it is only for one overnighter why not just pack a few jugs of water for drinking and washing up, use rest stops, gas stations or the great outdoors, and keep it winterized till Spring?
    If you must use the plumbing just Google winterize and the GD unit you have and you will find directions and videos.

No, I had it winterized in November for the PA winter. We are going to Florida for 3 weeks and I want to de-winterize it for that trip. By the time we get home it shouldn't be freezing any longer here.
    Ed & Kaitlin
    2018 F350 SD Platinum FX4 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 55 Gallon Titan Tank, Air Lift 5000.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhh! Sorry...makes much more sense to me now!
    I am in Florida doing the same thing. My "plug" is also the anode rod. I reinstall it and set my Nautilus system for city water, and let the water run a bit from all faucets since there may be air along with rv antifreeze, especially the hot water to insure water is in the hot water tank before I turn that on. Re-winterize before you head north if there is any risk at all of freezing temps on return.

Tim & Sue..with pups Iris and Sam
    2019 Solitude 375RES; 2019 Ford F350 XLT Dually; B&W Companion 25K Hitch
    Previously camped with a 1993 26' Dutchman TT and 2007 Trailmanor 2720SL
    Retiring in 1.5+ years
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...pic22370_7.gif http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCVAsm.jpg

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you open up those 2 red and blue tubes, turn on the city water, run the faucets and toilet and let the pink stuff run out? My main question is, what do I do with the water heater? Do I just leave the plug out while I do this? Or do I put it back in and do I have to do something else with that?
    Ed & Kaitlin

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, I run the city water until the pink is gone with the water heater bypassed. I don't run any water into the water heater until all the antifreeze is gone. Then put the plug in and change the valves. Don't want any antifreeze in the water heater at any time. Just me.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In addition to do thing the flush as described above, shouldn't you also sanitize the unit before first use of the season/year? When I bought mine (just a couple of weeks ago) the dealer said it was winterized from the factory and also stated they do not and will not sanitize it. That I must do that myself. I did this using bleach as described in the owners manual. So flushed the system (of the antifreeze), sanitized, and then flushed again to get the bleach out.

Is this correct? How often should it be sanitized? The unit will sit for 3 weeks before we use it again. I did empty all the tanks including the fresh water.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sanitize once per year, just after de winterizing. After that, I will drain the fresh water system if the trailer will sit unused for a month or more. Rarely happens with us as we are on the go most of the spring, summer and fall. Just FYI, we do not drink from the fresh water system and use it only for washing dishes, showers, etc. If we need drinking water from the system, we put it though a good carbon filter system first. Don't trust the water you get on the road.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put a filter between the hose and the inlet on the Nautilus. Is this sufficient? Unfortunately even with the Zero-G hose I have that is "drinking water safe" it still tastes like plastic so we wind up using bottled water.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a filter at the inlet just to keep as much questionable stuff out of the system, but we don't trust water on the road. Also, new systems seem to have that plastic taste for a while. Bottled or high quality filtered water for drinking. Also if you have a dog, we find it best to only give them the same bottled or filtered water we drink. Had a bad experience with our dog drinking water from the hose and getting doggie two-step in the middle of the night. not fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast