Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Floor water damage

Has anyone had their subfloor fail? We've had a soft spot near the dining room table on our 2018 310GK for a couple of years. Last fall our dealer initially thought the linoleum was delaminating. It has gotten much softer and larger extending from near the door to the chairs. Now we are working with the dealership and GD. It appears that somehow the door side tires have scuffed the covering material allowing water to get into the insulation. That then has caused the OSB flooring to begin failing. The dealer indicates the repairs would require removing the slide, island and couch leading to a major bill and dollars. My question is why would the tires have gotten close enough to scuff the side of the wheel well? I haven't run over anything nor had any tire issues. Of course the extended warranty doesn't cover water issues. GD is saying that it is past warranty. Really? Please explain to me how this is my problem. Any suggestions on how to have GD stand behind this?

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest you hire an good independent RV repair shop to look at the under side of your rig to really determine how the water barrier was compromised or where a water leak is. I don't buy the tire scuffing idea either. The dealer has no reason to really help you and then go to battle with GD to prove it resulted from a design or workmanship failure. It is possible something sharp kicked up from the road and broke through the barrier. Good also be a very slow leak in the plumbing somewhere. You will clearly need pics and statements from whoever you hire.
    This happened to me on a TT a very long time ago but it was my own fault. I ran some cables underneath the unit and apparently did not make things water tight when I was done. The floor became softer and I took good hit when I sold it to someone who was going to replace the floor himself
    Good luck...the key is to find the real source of water and document it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Tim & Sue..with pups Iris and Sam
    2019 Solitude 375RES; 2019 Ford F350 XLT Dually; B&W Companion 25K Hitch
    Previously camped with a 1993 26' Dutchman TT and 2007 Trailmanor 2720SL
    Retiring in 1.5+ years
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...pic22370_7.gif http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCVAsm.jpg

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The springs might be sagging (suspension issue) where the tires are hitting the area under the slide. This would allow the wheels to hit the material and rub through. I doubt that is you issue though because the floor of the slideout would be over most of your tires - that is waterproof by nature.

The door area is in front of the tires ... thus water would need to spray forward to penetrate the area. The only conditions where water could enter are driving in the rain - which is probably an occasional occurrence.

I am thinking the door is leaking somewhere every time it rains. There is no plumbing except the door side water hose connection (if equipped) that could be leaking.

This is easy to diagnose a leaking water outlet is by removing the wall panel in the basement area that is in front of the steps. The area under the steps and the basement would also have issues if that was the problem.

Check the lap sealant on the roof and the roof penetration areas such as the kitchen skylight, kitchen vent fan and check the awning brackets for signs of water leakage (might be a bad gasket or missing sealant). Also check the light above the door. That is a common area that can leak and run down the wall and rot out the floor.

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Natural disasters are very scary! This summer, my parents ' house was flooded. I was very worried about them

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your replies and ideas. As it worked out we went through our insurance company. GD thought that we had hit some road debris as an outrigger ahead of the wheels was bent. That’s the route we went with GEICO. They asked if we had hit something. With 23k miles I had no idea but they were great. All fixed and on the road again. The dealer service team in the Buffalo area, Colton was great. They checked all possible sources of water as y’all have recommended and found no issues. BTW I love having the forum as a way of interacting with others. Safe travels!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my own experience, preventing rust in the water tray is key to maintaining your cutting table. Using a rust inhibitor additive in the water can help, and cleaning out the tray regularly, maybe once a week, can prevent buildup.