User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just going by your statement that anytime you exceed the tv weight you are going to have a battle for control

So he is exceeding his TV weight by possibly 3500lbs but many trucks like yours are towing trailers that weigh in excess of 6000-10000 pounds over the weight of truck

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew 1840 payload
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    I was just going by your statement that anytime you exceed the tv weight you are going to have a battle for control

So he is exceeding his TV weight by possibly 3500lbs but many trucks like yours are towing trailers that weigh in excess of 6000-10000 pounds over the weight of truck

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    6000+ lbs over the weight of my truck would be 14,000 lbs. Thats 5th wheel weight. 5th wheels handle much better as far as sway but still can jerk around the truck. Thats why so many who tow 5th wheels complain of chucking but rarely ever complain about sway.
    I was mainly talking about travel trailers.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    6000+ lbs over the weight of my truck would be 14,000 lbs. Thats 5th wheel weight. 5th wheels handle much better as far as sway but still can jerk around the truck. Thats why so many who tow 5th wheels complain of chucking but rarely ever complain about sway.
    I was mainly talking about travel trailers.
    The op doesn’t have any issue with sway. Their issue was chucking or porpoising

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A change in weight distribution can help, as can air bags, or equivalent. But nothing will eliminate it, always. A stretch of road near my house used to induce proposing very badly in my 4Runner towing my 3,000 lb boat. Nothing now that I use my F-150....but now there is another section of highway that does it, that never did with the old tow vehicle. With the Imagine, increasing the weight on the steer wheels helped a lot, but there were still a few times where we bounced over the waves on the Interstate in Indiana.....so play with the "tuning" of your hitch, first....
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m seeing a couple things here.

First, that’s not the long Expedition, it’s the short one, so like a 124” WB. That’s very short for towing a 30ft or longer camper. You can google search lots of camper crashes with the shorter Expedition and Tahoe’s. There’s a real nasty trailer sway one on YouTube with a 2006ish expedition.

Your ride is probably bad because there’s too much weight on the tow vehicle, you are most likely exceeding your payload. I can tell you have a loaded version by the wheels, that’s makes it an even lower payload. If you bolt 900lbs to the hitch, add a family of four and a dog and a cooler you end up hundreds of pounds overweight.

Do the right thing, go to a scale, weigh it and read your yellow door jam sticker. You can post them here and we can help if you like. Once you’ve weighed it verified you aren’t over the payload and axle numbers, you can look at the rear suspension. If you are with in a 1/2”-1” of the bump stops you will get that rough ride you are experiencing. I think the expedition uses a shock through the middle of the spring so you can’t use airbags. I believe they do make a sumo spring.

I can’t say it enough though, know your weights, make sure you keep 12-13% of the weight on the tongue, keep your speed in check. It’s a long trailer for a short WB. Just adding sumo springs to fix the ride doesn’t make it safe.

2018 F-250 6.7L Leveled, 35’s.
    2019 Imagine 2500RL, 640w Solar, Lion UT1300s, 3000w Inverter
    CRE3000, Sumosprings

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Ram 3500 CTD has a base weight of a little over 8,000 lbs.
    Certainly over most TT's on the road.

FYI the max tongue weight for the Expedition Max is 900 lbs. Way to low for the 24mpr
    Yes an EX weighs more than a comparable F150 Super Crew 145" WB by about 750 lbs. Which doesn't prove anything.
    Thing is you're missing my point. Regardless of the tow vehicle, hitching up something that weighs several 1000 lbs more behind it is going to cause the tow vehicle to have less control.
    Thats why you never see a tow vehicle get out of control towing a utility trailer vs towing a trailer thats much longer and 1000's of pounds heavier.
    Every tow vehicle has a certain point where it starts to lose it's battle.
    Hmmmm. My f350 DRW weighs about 9000 lbs. My 5th wheel is 16000+. I'm in total control at all times.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiejack75 View Post
    Hmmmm. My f350 DRW weighs about 9000 lbs. My 5th wheel is 16000+. I'm in total control at all times.
    I think this thread was pertaining to travel trailers not 5th wheels. I think everyone knows a 5er doesn't need sway control.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this thread was pertaining to travel trailers not 5th wheels. I think everyone knows a 5er doesn't need sway control.
    The statement was (paraphrasing) that towing something heavier than your tow vehicle is going to reduce control. This can be true, but is not a universally correct statement. Many other things factor in, such a chassis design, suspension, wheelbase, etc. Just sayin'.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goducks is correct. We are talking about a trailer trailer in a travel trailer thread. Towing a trailer trailer that weighs several thousand pounds more than the tow vehicle will create an unstable setup. WDH are a nice tool but they don’t correct the imbalance or fully fix that there’s a 900-1000 load applied to the very end of the TV. Please stay on topic.

2018 F-250 6.7L Leveled, 35’s.
    2019 Imagine 2500RL, 640w Solar, Lion UT1300s, 3000w Inverter
    CRE3000, Sumosprings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check if your tow vehicles' electronic sway control is on. We have an Andersen hitch but the install manual says to turn this off on your tow vehicle because it fights with the WD hitch. (forward and backward fight, not side to side) We had a similar issue with our F-350 until we turned off the sway control.
    Last edited by Joyous; 01-18-2021 at 07:13 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast