Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will Dexter E-Z Flex work?

We have a 2015 Momentum 350M with Lippert equa-flex equalizers between the axles. The equa-flex came standard from Grand Design and we found out the hard way last week, at 60 mph on the highway, that the shackle straps are not very heavy duty. Has anyone replaced the Lippert equa-flex with the Dexter EZ-flex on a Momentum 350M? My concern is change in height. The trailer already sits at an angle and I am concerned about loss of clearance at the back of the trailer and also clearance between the top of the tire and floor of the trailer.
    Tim & Connie
    Biscuit the Dachshund, Chester the Chesapeake
    Momentum 350M
    Ram 3500 limited SB, 6.7 Cummins
    Superglide 18k

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be more inclined to go with the Roadmaster Comfort ride slipper springs and shocks: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lea...2470-2580.html

Quote Originally Posted by Tim & Connie View Post
    We have a 2015 Momentum 350M with Lippert equa-flex equalizers between the axles. The equa-flex came standard from Grand Design and we found out the hard way last week, at 60 mph on the highway, that the shackle straps are not very heavy duty. Has anyone replaced the Lippert equa-flex with the Dexter EZ-flex on a Momentum 350M? My concern is change in height. The trailer already sits at an angle and I am concerned about loss of clearance at the back of the trailer and also clearance between the top of the tire and floor of the trailer.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also had a strap break on my 323 and replaced it with Dexter EZ Flex. The Dexter shackles are better built and the straps are much thicker. I did not notice any difference in the ride height in my case. One thing to be aware of is that you will not be able to use the wet bolts that come with the Dexter system on the front and rear springs as the hangers are modified for the Lippert system and the Dexter bolts are not long enough.

Also, I would upgrade the springs at the same time. I had a leaf break on my Reflection as well in the same time frame. You have to tear it all down to replace the shackles, so just a little bit more work and you can replace the springs. If you get higher rated leafs, it may add a little bit of clearance height.

DAN
    2016 Reflection 323BHS
    2006 5.9L Ram Megacab

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    I'd be more inclined to go with the Roadmaster Comfort ride slipper springs and shocks: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lea...2470-2580.html
    Thanks for the suggestion. While doing some research on this system, there are some concerns brought up about potentially overloading an axle on bumps as the two axles no longer "share" loads. I also noticed some issues with fitment due to wider springs and the length of the existing equalizer hanger. I will do some measurements on the fitment, but any thoughts on the potential axle overloading? Has anyone installed this system on a Momentum 350M?
    Tim & Connie
    Momentum 350M
    Superglide 18k

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoElkhounds View Post
    I also had a strap break on my 323 and replaced it with Dexter EZ Flex. The Dexter shackles are better built and the straps are much thicker. I did not notice any difference in the ride height in my case. One thing to be aware of is that you will not be able to use the wet bolts that come with the Dexter system on the front and rear springs as the hangers are modified for the Lippert system and the Dexter bolts are not long enough.

Also, I would upgrade the springs at the same time. I had a leaf break on my Reflection as well in the same time frame. You have to tear it all down to replace the shackles, so just a little bit more work and you can replace the springs. If you get higher rated leafs, it may add a little bit of clearance height.

DAN
    I always wondered why there were no wet bolts on the spring hangers with the existing Equa-Flex system, when the rest of the bolts were wet. Thanks for pointing out the reason. Still researching options, but if I end up going with the EX Flex, makes sense to replace the springs at the same time.

Tim
    Tim & Connie
    Momentum 350M
    Superglide 18k

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim & Connie View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. While doing some research on this system, there are some concerns brought up about potentially overloading an axle on bumps as the two axles no longer "share" loads. I also noticed some issues with fitment due to wider springs and the length of the existing equalizer hanger. I will do some measurements on the fitment, but any thoughts on the potential axle overloading? Has anyone installed this system on a Momentum 350M?
    I'm not sure. But I look at it this way. MorRyde is considered one of the best independent suspension systems out there for a towable RV. And it's a true independent system. I've not read about any issues with their system or any other one as far as overloading an axle due to it being independent. Don't forget that despite the axles being independent, they are still both carrying the load, even over a bump. One axle and tire rides up over the bump as the other axle and tire retain contact with the level surface. Thus they are both still sharing the entire weight of the trailer. I suppose there could be situations where you're riding only on one axle, but that's not a constant long term thing.

As for fitment, the oem hangers are known to be weak. There have been a number of folks reporting that the hanger welds are separating. Lippert has started to recommend boxing the hanger with angle iron to reinforce it. If it were me, I would speak to a competent suspension shop about installing the Roadmaster system (or any system) and also about them box welding the spring hangers. If you go with MorRyde, Dexter, or Timbrens independent systems, they remove the spring hangers and bolt and weld on the new axles AFAIK.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh