User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Furnace short cycling

Quote Originally Posted by fez111 View Post
    Just a thought... As far as ducts, have you checked the cold air return...as in kinks in the flexible pipes in the belly? Restricted airflow is not limited to the heat outlets. If there's not enough air coming in its the same scenario... 2c.

Hi just wanted to say if you are bench testing your old and the new furnace it needs to be sitting as it is in the unit and make sure all outlets are open for the supply air and the return. You also want to make sure the supply air is not short cycling into return air. The fan should run as soon as the unit starts because the same motor is used to run exhaust gas. Unit should start and it will do a pre purge of the combustion chamber before the gas is ignited. It should run normally the limit should not cycle unit unless there is a restriction where the air can not move past and it over heats the only other thing I would check is that the unit is not overfiring to much gas pressure.
    Also make sure there is some restriction on a few of the outlets when bench testing so you get air flow over the limit area.
    Good luck

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wanted to hop on here and add some data I acquired before making any modifications. I am certain the unit is short cycling. It runs for about 3 minutes and shuts off for about 1.5 minutes (blower still running but no flame). I measured the temperature at the closest vent and it gets to about 172-173F (wow that's hot!) before the unit cycles off. I looked up the part number of the limit switch and it should cut out at 160 degrees F. During this same amount of time the front bedroom vent (furthest from the furnace) gets around 92 degrees then promptly falls back down to around 70 when it cycles. I measured the return air size and it's above the minimum 56 sq in. I also removed the slotted return cover and opened a path for cool air from outside, that made no difference. That only leaves not enough air flow out of the furnace through the ducts. Also, reading the manual for the furnace the minimum duct requirement isn't met. The only solution is another duct or increase the size of the one in the bedroom to 4inch. that would probably do it. Not only is there not enough airflow, but the large 4 inch ducts are so close to the return it's pulling that hot air right back in.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by packerprogrammer View Post
    I wanted to hop on here and add some data I acquired before making any modifications. I am certain the unit is short cycling. It runs for about 3 minutes and shuts off for about 1.5 minutes (blower still running but no flame). I measured the temperature at the closest vent and it gets to about 172-173F (wow that's hot!) before the unit cycles off. I looked up the part number of the limit switch and it should cut out at 160 degrees F. During this same amount of time the front bedroom vent (furthest from the furnace) gets around 92 degrees then promptly falls back down to around 70 when it cycles. I measured the return air size and it's above the minimum 56 sq in. I also removed the slotted return cover and opened a path for cool air from outside, that made no difference. That only leaves not enough air flow out of the furnace through the ducts. Also, reading the manual for the furnace the minimum duct requirement isn't met. The only solution is another duct or increase the size of the one in the bedroom to 4inch. that would probably do it. Not only is there not enough airflow, but the large 4 inch ducts are so close to the return it's pulling that hot air right back in.
    I just saw another 23BHE owner do exactly that in. FACEBOOK group.
    Head to : Grand Design Imagine XLE 23BHE on FB.

He added and additional duct line from the furnace to under the dinette, it vents out under the dinette where you're feet are. He stated this helped immensely. Yes the minimum requirements are not being met. I have contacted my dealer with this information and asked to speak with a local rep to get this handled before I pick up my trailer on 2/18.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See attached information
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210127-171943_Chrome.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	118.1 KB 
ID:	31814Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210127-171956_Chrome.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	31815

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Suburban Furnace.

Name:	Screenshot_20210127-171807_Chrome.jpg 
Size:	106.8 KB 
ID:	31816

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brady23PNW View Post
    See attached information

Name:	Screenshot_20210127-171943_Chrome.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	118.1 KB 
ID:	31814Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210127-171956_Chrome.jpg 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	31815
    Hey Brady, I assume you are the same Brady from the 23BHE group on Facebook. I'm Garrett from that group. I shared some links to the Facebook posts earlier, but I didn't think about screenshots so you wouldn't have to be a member to see them.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Brady, I assume you are the same Brady from the 23BHE group on Facebook. I'm Garrett from that group. I shared some links to the Facebook posts earlier, but I didn't think about screenshots so you wouldn't have to be a member to see them.

Ha! Ya Hi!...I'm trying to build my case with my dealer to do this work before I pick up.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I certainly hope that works out for you. Personally, I don't care for the exact solution that the folks in our Facebook group have come up with. Granted if I was freezing my tail off in it I would be willing to do a lot, but I would like a cleaner solution from Grand Design. That is my ultimate goal. Other than this issue, I love the camper. I mean really love it. It's been a joy for us!

Garrett

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345