User Tag List

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We went from a Mini Copper to a DRW truck as our daily driver 4 years ago. No problems and we love the truck. Even my wife drives it on errands. I did have a F150 as a work truck but the change was minimal for me. We just don't park as close to stores anymore.
    Pam & Ed
    "Just Kruse'n"

Momentum 376TH (New 11/04/2016)
    Full Timing since 11/04/2016
    2017 Ram 3500 DRW Aisin 3.73

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had never owned or driven a pickup truck before I got the F450. I certainly took a dive into the deep end! I find the truck extremely comfortable on good roads. On bad roads it's a bucking bronco unladen. With the fifth wheel in tow it's much better. As for parking in city garages, you won't be able to do that with many of today's full sized trucks due to their height. Of course I have no hope at all of parking the DRW in a garage. Even in outside lots, I have to make sure there's enough to maneuver.

One saving grace with the F450 is it turns 6' sharper than a F350 DRW. I can make U-turns without having to make it into a 3 point turn. And the sharper turning radius means I can get into some spaces whereas the other long bed pickups might not make it. I find backing into 90° spaces to be easier than pulling nose in. The 360° camera system really helps in those situations.

I don't worry about making it through fast food lanes because we don't eat fast food. The biggest issue for me is the truck just doesn't fit in any of the automated car washes. That means it's a laborious task to hand wash the truck each and every time.

But at the end of the day, when I'm hauling our fifth wheel, I'm really glad to have a DRW and especially the F450 because of how capable it is.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say the only thing I miss is drive through car washes. The rest is perfectly doable. Some drive through lanes for fast food are tight and you may clip a curb - just go slow and nothing gets hurt. The long bed is what hurts the turn radius, as the wheel base is just hugely long - but that would be the same with a DRW or SRW.

I back into 95% of parking spaces and usually towards the back.

Other car is a Mazda CX-9 which is extremely fun to drive but honestly I quickly forget I am driving a 22' long 9k pound truck when in it. It does utterly dominate my garage though haha
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having driven both single and dually HD's, my personal opinion is that DRWs ride better than singles. The DRW ride can be improved even more by dropping the air pressure in the rear tires when not towing. I run 35 psi when not towing follow the tire pressure charts when towing.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having had a 2019 250 and 450, they ride really similar. My wife swears the 450 is more comfortable, I can't really feel it either way. I am sure I couldn't blind tell you the difference between the ride in my 250 vs 450. They were/are both trucks, and, as others have said, they don't ride like a town car! I put Sulastic springs on my 450 and that was a noticeable upgrade, the 450, IMHO, rides better than the 250 did now (with the Sulastics on it), but I'm sure the 250 would have been just as good if I'd done it on that truck.

For towing, the 450 is more comfortable, especially after I added Airbags. It's stiffer and doesn't get into the overloads as much as the 250 did.

Also, the 450 turns faster than the 250 did and is a bit more maneuverable. Even though it's a little longer, the wide track front end makes it turn really sharp. I'm used to it now, but when I first drove it, I could not believe it, felt like driving a forklift! Very nice for navigating tighter areas (or backing in a trailer!).

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both a 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins short bed crew cab SRW and a 2020 Ford F-450 long bed DRW.

There is no question that the Dodge rides smoother and is easier to maneuver & park. In the F-450, I need to turn wider and park farther out at the grocery store both because of its wider & longer rear end.

But I have no problems with the F-450 as a daily driver. I just have to drive & park a little differently.
    Last edited by jjbbrewer; 01-05-2021 at 08:47 PM.
    signature

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never owned a super duty or dually before my 450. It rides like a truck when empty but not bad at all compared to the Ram 3500 SRW short bed I traded for the 450. They seemed similar. If you don't haul stuff all the time, throw in a 100-200lbs of something in the bed and it smooths out. Driving in downtown fort worth is fun but parking in a downtown area is difficult. I've actually parallel parked the 450! 360 camera is very helpful. Turning in the 450 is great!
    2019 Momentum 351M, Disc Brakes, Roadmaster Slipper Springs/shocks
    2018 F-450 Ruby Red
    B&W 25K Hitch
    2015 H-D Road Glide CVO / B&W Biker Bar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is key to getting the best ride. Match psi to load. When I have the truck serviced at the dealer they delight in filling all the tires too maximum, probably liability concerns, and you can really tell the difference. Once the psi is set to the empty load for daily driving, the ride improves quite a bit. Plus my Ram has the factory air suspension, and I think that helps too. All in all not to bad for a truck with a GVWR of 14,000 lbs.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Chad1383, all I can add is these modern trucks don’t ride like “trucks!” They are more comfortable to drive than any truck I’ve ever owned. You will not be dissatisfied driving it as a “daily driver.” The only thing you will need to get accustomed to is the huge fuel tank at “fillups” & the lower fuel economy as compared to a “commuter.” I think you’re smart to consider a 1-ton for towing. I’d rather err on the side of overkill, than the other way around. Depending on the size of trailer you’re looking at, it may not be overkill at all! Good luck! -Diego

2017 Ford F350 DRW 6.7L Custom Ordered
    2018 GD Solitude 310GK
    40,900+Miles
    "Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself." -Potter Stewart

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gran Casita View Post
    @Chad1383, all I can add is these modern trucks don’t ride like “trucks!” They are more comfortable to drive than any truck I’ve ever owned. You will not be dissatisfied driving it as a “daily driver.” The only thing you will need to get accustomed to is the huge fuel tank at “fillups” & the lower fuel economy as compared to a “commuter.” I think you’re smart to consider a 1-ton for towing. I’d rather err on the side of overkill, than the other way around. Depending on the size of trailer you’re looking at, it may not be overkill at all! Good luck! -Diego
    I get 18-21 mpg unloaded and can go nearly 700 miles on a tank of diesel. That is cheaper to operate than my Mazda CX-9 haha
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast