User Tag List

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went from daily driving a 2019 Toyota Tundra to a 2018 Ram 3500 Chassis Cab Truck with the Tradesman package. It has an aluminum flatbed. My commute is all highway 78 miles round trip. The fuel economy is actually better with the Ram. You just choose a parking space wisely and almost always back in. I don’t have a back up camera and honestly these mirrors are so good I don’t miss it whatsoever.

The flatbed is amazing for daily use. One might often over look them. I have the flexibility to mount anything. I also occasionally pull a cattle trailer but mostly camp and daily drive. The Chassis Cab is great because it comes with a 52 gallon fuel tank. You also don’t haVe to worry about someone dinging the side of your truck. However it is pretty stiff and 3500’s don’t turn well, but you get used to it. I work at a College and the parking spaces can be tight. I have heard some complaining if people park there drivers side front door near my bed that’s it’s too tight. I say they just need to give me 2 designated spots haha. Just make sure you’re in the lines and everything is fine.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My last three trucks have been DRW. 2006 Dodge 3500, 2015 F350 and now 2018 Ram 3500.
    My 06' was my daily driver for almost 8 years. You have to be okay with not parking in the front row at your local supermarket and have to remember some city streets were not made for DRW but once you own one you will never go back to a SRW. You will never have to worry about overloading and always have plenty of stability no matter what you want to tow. I had all SRW trucks prior to 06', including SRW F350 but it never handled my camper like the DRW. In my opinion it's the only choice when buying a new truck.
    I'm currently snow birding for the winter in Arizona and the RAM is my only vehicle down here so it's my daily driver and no regrets!
    Good luck with your choice.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

350 or 450?

Quote Originally Posted by BBrving View Post
    I transitioned from a '16 F150 to a '20 King Ranch F450. I have a '13 gmc 350 dually and this new F450 is MUCH easier to drive, park, pull, travel... everything. I don't thing you'll mind driving a Dually.
    My suggestion would be to get the F350 dually. Its rides (when not loaded) way nicer. I pull a Grand Design Solitude '43 ft. I park my pickup in the back 40. I don't mind the walk. Funny, how so many trucks are parked near me when I return. Its like cattle all mingling. Let me know what you get. I think you'd like an F350 dually ... maybe a King ranch or higher. You definitely won't be disappointed!
    I just ordered a 2021 F-450 King Ranch but have not been able to find new one to test drive. I’m curious about whether you are recommending the 450 or the 350, or perhaps you have both? I’ve driven a 2021 F-350 DRW King Ranch and loved the ride, but definitely experienced a longer turning radius as of course I would going from an 2013 F-350 SRW(too light for my 2019 385 GK, with 3760 lbs pin weight and 12950 lbs. Truck GVW).

I’ve heard that F-450 ride can soften some by not ordering the Fx package and going with standard 4x4 shocks?
    I love the looks of the F-450 and the heavy duty brakes, 6’ better turning radius and other features, but at the end of the day, how close can you get to the ride quality of a new F-350?
    Thanks!

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly View Post
    I just ordered a 2021 F-450 King Ranch but have not been able to find new one to test drive. I’m curious about whether you are recommending the 450 or the 350, or perhaps you have both? I’ve driven a 2021 F-350 DRW King Ranch and loved the ride, but definitely experienced a longer turning radius as of course I would going from an 2013 F-350 SRW(too light for my 2019 385 GK, with 3760 lbs pin weight and 12950 lbs. Truck GVW).

I’ve heard that F-450 ride can soften some by not ordering the Fx package and going with standard 4x4 shocks?
    I love the looks of the F-450 and the heavy duty brakes, 6’ better turning radius and other features, but at the end of the day, how close can you get to the ride quality of a new F-350?
    Thanks!
    Saulstic springs helped on mine. However, that said, I'm not sure I could blind tell you the difference between my 250 and 450. They both rode hard. Maybe the 450 is a little harder, but it's nothing like the change from a 150 to a 250 IMHO.

I have Saulstics and airbags, makes for a good ride unloaded and a very good ride loaded.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks!
    Due to an unfortunate accident which totaled my 2020 F350 Lariat SB SRW, I recently found myself in need of a new truck. Since I had to start over, I decided to go with a DRW replacement and had (have) many of the same concerns as the OP. That being said, I read (too) many articles and heard about the reported advantages of the F450. Having never owned a dually I found a local dealership to test drive both of them. While the salesman said the ride was the same, it's not. You can defiantly feel the road more in the F450 but it wasn't punishing or excessive. My sense was the DRW actually road better than the SRW but it's subjective with only a test drive. There are quite a few differences between the two trucks as previously mentioned but the deciding factor was the turn radius; game changer in my humble opinion. To be honest, the F450 is far more truck than I really need for my Solitude 310GK, but for the "relatively" (cough - cough) small price difference it is what I ended up ordering.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ItsAllGood you made the best choice. My 450 rides just about the same at the 350 dually did, just run the rear tires at about 60 PSI when empty instead of the recommended 80 PSI. I run 80 when towing. I leave the fronts at the recommended 90PSI, they are carrying a lot of weight lol.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    @ItsAllGood you made the best choice. My 450 rides just about the same at the 350 dually did, just run the rear tires at about 60 PSI when empty instead of the recommended 80 PSI. I run 80 when towing. I leave the fronts at the recommended 90PSI, they are carrying a lot of weight lol.
    Good to know Jeff and thanks for the tip!
    2021 Solitude 310GK - Onan 5500 Gen / 300W Solar / Dual pane Windows
    2021 Ford F450 Lariat
    Anderson Hitch
    Tom & Marsha

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks!
    The Fx package is of dubious value. The Rancho shocks are nothing more than junk rebranded oem Ford shocks with a Rancho label on them. The ride is greatly affected by the shocks and the 19.5" commercial rated tires. The spring pack is essentially the same except the F450 has an extra overload spring and heavier half shafts on the rear axle (which doesn't impact ride).

Folks have improved their ride by either replacing the oem "Ranchos" with King or Fox shocks, and/or replacing the 19.5" wheels/tires with 20" or 22" wheels/tires that are not commercial rated.

Unless you're hauling stuff in commercial load territory, the loss of load capacity is negligible. For example 35x12.5R20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers have a 3650 load rating vs. the OEM Continental HD3's have a load rating of 3950 lbs. I doubt anyone here has a rear axle load over 14k lbs. Every person who has done the conversion away from the 19.5" wheels/tires has reported positive results. However it's not an inexpensive project when you consider the need for 6 wheels/tires plus the spare.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    The Fx package is of dubious value. The Rancho shocks are nothing more than junk rebranded oem Ford shocks with a Rancho label on them. The ride is greatly affected by the shocks and the 19.5" commercial rated tires. The spring pack is essentially the same except the F450 has an extra overload spring and heavier half shafts on the rear axle (which doesn't impact ride).

Folks have improved their ride by either replacing the oem "Ranchos" with King or Fox shocks, and/or replacing the 19.5" wheels/tires with 20" or 22" wheels/tires that are not commercial rated.

Unless you're hauling stuff in commercial load territory, the loss of load capacity is negligible. For example 35x12.5R20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers have a 3650 load rating vs. the OEM Continental HD3's have a load rating of 3950 lbs. I doubt anyone here has a rear axle load over 14k lbs. Every person who has done the conversion away from the 19.5" wheels/tires has reported positive results. However it's not an inexpensive project when you consider the need for 6 wheels/tires plus the spare.
    That sounds like a great idea!
    Do you have a rough estimate on tires/wheels and then shocks?
    Thanks!

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds like a great idea!
    Do you have a rough estimate on tires/wheels and then shocks?
    Thanks!
    It's not cheap. Figure the shocks are at least $1100 plus install labor. Tires and wheels depend on who you go with, but we can use DDC wheels and Nitto Terra Grapplers as an example. The wheels are $3100 and the 6 tires are about $2800, so total would be about $6k for tires and wheels. Grand total would be $7k plus labor and tax. So not inexpensive, but you'll end up with a much better riding and driving truck.

But there's a catch. You'll have to install a levelling kit in the front so that the tires don't rub. That also means you probably will need Timbrens or some air bags in the rear so that it doesn't sag when you tow a trailer and end up with your headlights pointing upwards. So there's another expense. Figure out a total of $10k to do it all.
    http://www.cjcoffroad.com/Carli-Susp...ing-s/2506.htm

Don't forget that going with 35" tires will raise your bed height about 1.5". The tires are 3" taller so half of their diameter is 1.5". It depends on how level your trailer is now, and if you have room to change the mounting on the pinbox. If you can afford to lose 1.5-2" bedrail clearance between the underside of the fifth wheel (if that's what your towing) and the bedrails, then you could simply remount the pinbox higher to decrease the clearance. In my case I can not afford the loss of clearance so I'm going to have to have a subframe built for the trailer and raise it up 2". That's ok because it'll allow me to install an independent suspension system for the trailer as well as add shocks.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast