User Tag List

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that helpful information, all that helps in making the decision to go F-350 or F-450!
    Maybe I’ll get a chance soon to drive a 450, the only thing close was a 2018 F-450 and it was good but still seemed a little heavy and stiff but not bad. I’ve heard the 2021 version is even better with electric power assist on the steering.
    Thanks again for the good reply!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly View Post
    I just ordered a 2021 F-450 King Ranch but have not been able to find new one to test drive. I’m curious about whether you are recommending the 450 or the 350, or perhaps you have both? I’ve driven a 2021 F-350 DRW King Ranch and loved the ride, but definitely experienced a longer turning radius as of course I would going from an 2013 F-350 SRW(too light for my 2019 385 GK, with 3760 lbs pin weight and 12950 lbs. Truck GVW).

I’ve heard that F-450 ride can soften some by not ordering the Fx package and going with standard 4x4 shocks?
    I love the looks of the F-450 and the heavy duty brakes, 6’ better turning radius and other features, but at the end of the day, how close can you get to the ride quality of a new F-350?
    Thanks!
    @dragonfly, you can certainly fork out an extra $10K on the modifications described by TheLexx, but I will offer you our experience with our 2017 Ford F-350 4x4 Crew Cab DRW Long Bed 6.7L Turbo Diesel. I ordered our truck from Ford to “my specs” (Lariat Ultimate Package, Tow Technology Package, 5th Wheel Prep-Reese 27.5K, BLIS System, Adaptive Cruise/Collision Warning, 4.10 Gears, & FX4 Offroad Package).

Since receiving our truck in July 2017, we have towed our 2018 GD Solitude 310GK (15,000 GVWR) over 33,000 miles all over the USA. I also use our truck to tow a loaded flatbed utility trailer from California to Colorado roundtrip for my annual hunting trip. My hunting trips add approx. 2,200 towing miles annually, for a current total of 8,800 miles. We currently have nearly 95,000 miles on our truck, where 41,800 miles have been towing (44% of our truck’s mileage). During this time, we have followed a strict maintenance regimen every 7,500 miles. (Severe Duty Schedule recommends a 5,000-mile service interval so I’ve assumed a little “risk management” here!) After all this and “Knock-on-wood” we have had no major repairs and/or failures/breakdowns.

My personal conclusion thus far is......I’ve been damn happy with our truck so far! I don’t tweak the air pressure as others have mentioned when not towing, but can still say that our F-350 has been pretty darn comfortable as a “daily driver.” Finally, based on my experience, if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn’t change or add anything significant to the truck I ordered back in 2017. I know others will have a wide range of experiences, but my experience so far has been a positive one. Hope this helps & safe travels. -Diego

2017 Ford F350 DRW 6.7L Custom Ordered
    2018 GD Solitude 310GK
    40,900+Miles
    "Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself." -Potter Stewart

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gran Casita View Post
    @dragonfly, you can certainly fork out an extra $10K on the modifications described by TheLexx, but I will offer you our experience with our 2017 Ford F-350 4x4 Crew Cab DRW Long Bed 6.7L Turbo Diesel. I ordered our truck from Ford to “my specs” (Lariat Ultimate Package, Tow Technology Package, 5th Wheel Prep-Reese 27.5K, BLIS System, Adaptive Cruise/Collision Warning, 4.10 Gears, & FX4 Offroad Package).

Since receiving our truck in July 2017, we have towed our 2018 GD Solitude 310GK (15,000 GVWR) over 33,000 miles all over the USA. I also use our truck to tow a loaded flatbed utility trailer from California to Colorado roundtrip for my annual hunting trip. My hunting trips add approx. 2,200 towing miles annually, for a current total of 8,800 miles. We currently have nearly 95,000 miles on our truck, where 41,800 miles have been towing (44% of our truck’s mileage). During this time, we have followed a strict maintenance regimen every 7,500 miles. (Severe Duty Schedule recommends a 5,000-mile service interval so I’ve assumed a little “risk management” here!) After all this and “Knock-on-wood” we have had no major repairs and/or failures/breakdowns.

My personal conclusion thus far is......I’ve been damn happy with our truck so far! I don’t tweak the air pressure as others have mentioned when not towing, but can still say that our F-350 has been pretty darn comfortable as a “daily driver.” Finally, based on my experience, if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn’t change or add anything significant to the truck I ordered back in 2017. I know others will have a wide range of experiences, but my experience so far has been a positive one. Hope this helps & safe travels. -Diego
    This is very similar to what I do as well. Do not touch air in tires, 5k maint schedule (I am more conservative I guess), no additives or BS, nothing done to the suspension other than replace bump stops with Timbrens in the rear. I honestly do not know what more I could want for a daily driver (accepting the large footprint of course). After a short period, you honestly forget it is a huge truck and just drive it without thinking much about it. I keep telling my wife, it is just like driving a car, you do not fret about the size.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly, I don't really touch my tire pressures much. I tow at about 80psi front and 75 psi rear because my load frankly isn't that heavy and the truck is far more capable. So when I'm driving around unladen, I just leave the tire pressures as they are. I don't feel that the truck is unnecessarily harsh riding. To me the ride is plush with some impact harshness over the really rough stuff.

The reason I brought up all the mods is I'm considering modifying the truck and trailer so that I can have more compliance when I take the trailer down fire trails. I haven't done the mods yet. I'm more inclined to just modify the trailer's suspension since the buggy leaf springs are crap.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only reason I drop the rear tire pressure when not towing is more for tire wear than ride. When the rears are at 80 psi and not towing the outer row of tread doesn't even touch the ground, it stays clean on a dusty section of road! The better ride is just a side benefit.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just talked to a gentleman today who has a new F-450 and he said his ride was very similar to his F-350 he also owned and he didn’t think is was a bad ride at all. He added that he has been in the mountains with unexpected wind gust and said the truck (F-450)was really stable. He said he loved his truck and never would get rid of it.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the same position of needing to upgrade. What is the thought on 4 WD vs duely with SRwd

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kschwartz3204 View Post
    In the same position of needing to upgrade. What is the thought on 4 WD vs duely with SRwd
    4WD will actually reduce your CCC over a comparable truck that’s only 2WD.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kschwartz3204 View Post
    Working from memory here, but I think the 4wd option on my dually only cost 2-300lbs. In the big picture it was not a factor. And 4wd solves various other problems not necessarily related to towing. Living in WI 4wd is pretty common because of winter road conditions. When I want to use my truck to pull out bushes or small trees, the 4wd is needed to get traction on the front wheels with that heavy diesel up there. If I camped in places that might get wet/muddy, I think 4wd might come in handy to at least get back on the road.
    Last edited by John303; 01-17-2021 at 02:03 PM.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My husband drives a 2001 Ford 350 drw as his daily commuter. He loves his truck. Parking is the biggest problem around here, my suv barely fits in the local parking areas.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast