User Tag List

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dually daily driving questions

Hey guys/gals, thinking of upgrading my 18' GMC 2500 HD with a dually, can anyone give me some feedback as to how these drive when not towing. Most of my driving will be without towing but Im wanting to get into a truck that I will hopefully not upgrade after this. I like my 2500HD but I wish the payload/tow cap of the GMC was higher.

Any DRW owners out there have any feedback or anyone jump from SRW to DRW and did you regret your decision when it comes to just regular driving. I don't think anyone would regret a DRW when towing but what about when not towing.

Thanks
    2021 GMC 3500HD
    2021 Montana High Country 385BR
    2018 GMC 2500 HD (Traded in)
    2019 GD312BHTS (written off by fallen tree RIP)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m an RV and large truck newbie (drove an F-150, then small sedans). I thought it would be a bigger transition and a pain in the rear to drive a dually all the time, but honestly it’s not. You learn quickly which parking spots work best for you, and you back in just about everywhere. With big mirrors and cameras it’s a non event to drive.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossfischer View Post
    I’m an RV and large truck newbie (drove an F-150, then small sedans). I thought it would be a bigger transition and a pain in the rear to drive a dually all the time, but honestly it’s not. You learn quickly which parking spots work best for you, and you back in just about everywhere. With big mirrors and cameras it’s a non event to drive.
    What about the comfort of the ride when not loaded?
    2021 GMC 3500HD
    2021 Montana High Country 385BR
    2018 GMC 2500 HD (Traded in)
    2019 GD312BHTS (written off by fallen tree RIP)

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad1383 View Post
    Our DRW F350 CC LB is a 2012, so it's a bit older (only 57K miles, though!). The ride(s) of the newer trucks may have been improved some, but if you have 1-ton payload capability, it's not going to ride like an Escalade or a Lincoln Towne Car. As full-timers, our dually is not a daily driver, but we have used it for some road trips without the fifth wheel. The ride only gets really noticeable on really bad roads (smoother with 3,400 lbs. on the hitch than when empty). We have the advantage of having a CR-V for everyday use, but I would not let the ride of a 1-ton DRW truck stop me from owning what I needed to carry the load. As mentioned by others, if I have to run errands in it (which I do when we're places like my home town and Laura takes the car to yoga, the aquatic center, etc.), I just park out a ways, take up two spaces (a CC LB is the length of a shorty school bus), and get some exercise.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ours is a 2020 F350. The ride is not luxurious, but smoother than I thought it would be on normal roads. We aren’t known for the best roads in Oklahoma, so when you get on a rough one, it’s a bit rougher than a 1/2 or 3/4 ton ride. I’d be curious to compare a 1 ton SRW vs DRW ride and see if there is much difference.

We find ourselves taking the truck out to dinner more than the minivan.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think a lot of is where your daily driving is done. I’ve had a dually for almost 4 years. I drove it into downtown Austin once. Where we live out in Dripping Springs it isn’t an issue , but I promise you do not want to try and find parking on S Congress or 99% of parking garages. When traveling we use it for sightseeing in small / compact towns quite a bit. Just entails searching for spots on the fringes. It is wide and long. For reference I have driven full sized trucks for most of my adult life. Mostly F350 CC long beds , so I’m not unaccustomed to big. The new cameras and collision sensors are definitely a boon. Ride quality I feel is very nice for what it is. Definitely better than my last ‘06 F-body.
    Good luck, Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys/gals, thinking of upgrading my 18' GMC 2500 HD with a dually, can anyone give me some feedback as to how these drive when not towing. Most of my driving will be without towing but Im wanting to get into a truck that I will hopefully not upgrade after this. I like my 2500HD but I wish the payload/tow cap of the GMC was higher.

Any DRW owners out there have any feedback or anyone jump from SRW to DRW and did you regret your decision when it comes to just regular driving. I don't think anyone would regret a DRW when towing but what about when not towing.

Thanks
    I too upgraded from my SRW 2500 HD to a DRW 3500 HD. The payload is a must for sure! I do use it as a daily driver. Parking and maneuvering can be a PIA . It is comfortable ( although not as nice as the 2500) and depending where you live - they suck in the snow.. The cameras do help but there is still some getting used to with the hips .. Hope that helps

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, I don't daily drive my 2016 F350 Dually, but to be completely honest, it rides better empty or not towing than my previous truck which was a 2011 F250 CrewCab diesel 4x4 with the 6 3/4' bed. As others have said, you quickly learn where and how to park the truck and where it will fit or not. I'm retired and I also have a Nissan 370Z and it rides rougher or maybe close to the same as my Dually.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is a bit older '15 f350. Short commutes will kill a diesel engine, & as said before, in the snow they are not so good, put weight in the back, hay bales, wood rounds, will help with the contact patch and ride. F450's turn tighter than a 350, but you will get used to that. I like the ride & comfort of our truck much more than our Subaru.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have to agree that our 2018 F-350 DRW has the best ride of any trucks we have owned (1996 F-250 7.5, 2001 F-250 7.3 manual 6 sp, 2015 F-350 6.7) All were longbeds and the
    f-250 were supercabs with the F-350 crewcabs. I need the exercise when going to the store and you can put a lot of stuff in the back seat or under the rollup cover. Still catch a curb with the outside tires but not too bad. Doing the "retire" is a bit of a sticker shock. But overall when the wife says it rides better and quite thats good enough for me
    Lyle & Judy and Annie the Westie
    Retired (Government employee/USMC/USAFR, Ret) & Retired (insurance industry)
    2018 F-350 CC LB DRW 4X4 6.7 (3.55)(Reese 18k "puck system")
    2018 Solitude 310GK (5500 Onan Genset)
    2020 F-150 SCSB XLT 2.7L 10 speed

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast