Reflection 297RSTS 2021 - Chevrolet K2500 Duramax LBZ 2007
    https://www.epgsoft.com/visited-stat...100&format=png

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by highdesert View Post
    What is a TSD card?
    It is a fuel cost savings card where you get diesel for the same price (discount) as the big rigs do. The company that supplies this card charges a certain per gallon fee for you to get the trucker discount. Many RVers use this card and see really good savings on diesel. I have one but have not been able to use it with COVID going since shortly after we got it.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by highdesert View Post
    What is a TSD card?
    Start by searching this website for TSD. Lots of info already. Here is the website: https://www.tsdlogistics.com/services/fuel-program/ . In addition to the fuel savings, being able to fuel up at truck stops without having to go inside, tell them you want fuel on pump #xx , try to estimate how much you are going to spend for the credit card, go back outside to pump fuel, go back inside to get the receipt, etc, is worth a lot to me. It is like paying at the pump in a gas station; fuel and go if you want to. Mind the etiquette of the truck stop which is just common sense; i.e. after fueling clear the pump, by pulling forward to the line, so the next truck can start fueling while you go back inside if you do that. Lots of info on this site about that too.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My comments will be to the 7.3. If you research the info from Ford, the 7.3 was built to last and be the main workhorse for fleet use. The 7.3 is the base engine for trucks up to F-750. According to Ford, Fleet managers were needing to lower maintenance costs and increase reliability. The 7.3 has large beefy internals that should last and it will get the job done. Comparing power for modern gas and diesel engines is a no brainer; diesel wins. Seeing you list Texas as your location, gas would be perfect unless you plan to do a lot of mountain traveling, then the diesel would be better for all its power. Also, the money saved from not selecting a diesel engine can be invested into a disc brake system for your trailer. Happy Trails!
    2019 Momentum 351M, Disc Brakes, Roadmaster Slipper Springs/shocks
    2018 F-450 Ruby Red
    B&W 25K Hitch
    2015 H-D Road Glide CVO / B&W Biker Bar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My previous truck was a 2005 Super Duty with the 6.8L V10. I ran 35" tires and 4.88 gears. The 7.3 was designed to replace that motor and the performance specs are similar. I used the V10 to tow a 35', 10,000 pound travel trailer. To be honest, I was not blown away when I upgraded to this 6.7 pulling a 12,000 pound fifth wheel. The 6.7 is amazingly powerful and quiet while towing. Just put it in drive and set the cruise control. It rarely downshifts. The V10 was a much more interactive experience. I learned to get it into the RPM sweet spot before the hills. Sometimes I would manually shift into 3rd on a long grade to avoid sudden, jarring downshifts. I loved that truck and enjoyed towing with it. I love my diesel, too. It is a much more relaxed experience...I'm just along for the ride. The 7.3 + 10 speed transmission is probably less interactive than my 6.8 + 5 speed. The point is, in most applications, gas and diesel trucks can do the same things, just differently.
    2022 F450 Platinum
    B & W Companion
    2024 Brinkley Model Z 3610

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive towed with gas and diesle and will now only tow with diesel. Ride stability and stopping power win the day.
    2013 Chevy 2500 Silverado Diesel
    2020 3000QB
    Glen,Barbara and
    Dottie O'Doran the Wonder Dog

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    It is a fuel cost savings card where you get diesel for the same price (discount) as the big rigs do. The company that supplies this card charges a certain per gallon fee for you to get the trucker discount. Many RVers use this card and see really good savings on diesel. I have one but have not been able to use it with COVID going since shortly after we got it.

Rob

Thanks for the clue. Just applied, will have mine soon.
    Highdesert
    Reflection 297RSTS 2021 - Chevrolet K2500 Duramax LBZ 2007
    https://www.epgsoft.com/visited-stat...100&format=png

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We tow a 303RLS (weighed it and was in the 11,500lb range) with a gasser...a 2019 F350 6.2L. I ordered it with 4.30 gears and feel it does just as good, if not better, of a job of as the '02 F350 7.3L that I used to tow it with. Now I know my old 7.3L is no comparison to today's 6.7's put out by Ford and Cummins (in fact I work at the Cummins plant where the 6.7 is made for the Ram). Everybody has their own preference. I wanted a gasser for the simplicity of the engine full well knowing I won't be first to the top of the hill and have to stop every 200 miles or so and fill 'er up. We did a big trip last summer from Indiana to the Grand Tetons, then on to Yellowstone and back home; around 4K miles total. Averaged right at 7.5mpg. I thought the truck did a good job on the climb coming into the Grand Tetons' with something like a 7% grade that topped out around 9600 ft. Was doing around 40 mph in 2nd gear and felt like there was more to give it, but it was raining so hard I just didn't wanna go any faster.

I do kinda wish I'd waited for the 7.3 gasser but depending who you ask and what you read there may or may not be that noticeable of a difference (on paper there is). I do think though we'll probably upgrade to the 7.3 in a few years once we know the kinks are worked out and they probably have a little more hp and torque after some recals.

Again, I make no illusions to what I have and how it compares to the diesels. It's just that for us it is the right truck for what we have. Any bigger of a trailer and diesel would be in the mix.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe the new 7.3 gas would surprise a lot of people. I pull a 303RLS with a 7.3, 4.30, and 35" tall tires and it tows GREAT! Drive or better yet tow with a 7.3 with 4.30 gears before you cast it to the side.
    If I was towing 15k+ I would most likely have a diesel.
    2024 Ford F350 CCSB Lariat 7.3 4.30
    Sold- 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4
    Sold - 2020 Ford F350 Tremor 7.3 4.30
    Sold - 2020 GD Reflection 303RLS, 2019 GD Imagine 2250 RK

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that getting a gas or a diesel is a preference, I had both and I love having my diesel, their are pro and con on both, if you want whatever get it.
    2022 GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    2023 North Point 310RLTS
    MSG Retired Army

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12