Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Diesel vs Gas Tow vehicle

Hi folks.

I’m currently towing a 2015RB (7,000 pounds) with a 2005 Dodge Ram 3500 with 5.9 diesel.

I bought the truck lightly used and it now has 220,000 miles on it. It has been wonderful but is showing it’s age in terms of headlights, backup camera and amenities.

I have just retired at 59 YO and am thinking of upgrading to a DRW for stability of towing and possible trailer upgrades.

I tend to keep my trucks into 200k mile range so the new truck could be with me until I’m in my mid 70’s. (I’m only on my third truck since graduating from college almost 40 years ago!)

I know diesel is the best for power and exhaust brake but am slightly concerned with DEF systems and reliability.

With the Ford 7.3 gasser now coming out would that be a reasonable selection if it is available DRW?

How about engines from Dodge and Chevrolet?

I would love to hear your experiences, recommendations and comments.

Thanks!

Joe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Joe and Sheryl Fabrygel

2018 Imagine 2015RB - "Let the good times roll"

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhhh the 'ol gas vs diesel thread.... version 1,823...

First, you will never regret having "too much" truck for towing so you are wise to consider the DRW. The DRW will give you the payload to choose any towable RV you want - both now and in the future.

As for the DEF systems in diesel trucks, they were problematic when they first came out but the manufacturers have worked out the bugs and they are reliable now.

The Ford 7.3 gas engine has a great reputation so far but it's no match as far as towing power goes as compared to a diesel. All of the manufacturers make great diesel engines now. Drive them all and see which one you prefer.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, the diesel engine is more expensive up front but you get some back at resale. Gas is a lot lighter so you gain more PL. Small details that might or might not be a deciding factor.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gas vs. diesel can and will be debated until the cows come home. I can only add that I've owned both GM Duramax and Ford PowerStroke 6.7 diesels and have had zero issues with the DEF and emission systems on either truck. We are full-timers and put about 10,000 miles a year on the truck, so DEF ends up running me less than $50/year. However, your trailer is much lighter than ours and you may not need the torque and engine braking.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The diesels are insanely powerful now, and I don’t know anyone who has gotten one that has gone back to gas.

That said, repairs can be expensive, even if they don’t involve DEF, and they’ve gotten nothing but more complicated. I would personally have no issues owning one with a similar mindset of keeping them forever though.

BUT, the new 7.3 offers even better performance than you already have, unless you have modified that 5.9. Competing with it is the new GM 6.6 and the Hemi 6.4 from Ram. The 7.3 is the most powerful of those three. Hemi has been around awhile, GM’s motor is technically new but in line with all their V8s.

Really I think some test drives in store because all of your options are excellent.
    Last edited by Stealth13777; 01-05-2021 at 04:56 PM.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it still true that the same size fuel tank with diesel has more range than gas. My number one is how many miles per tank. Well, #1 is braking, but that is the same for gas or diesel. Don't get a 1/2 ton.
    Highdesert
    Reflection 297RSTS 2021 - Chevrolet K2500 Duramax LBZ 2007
    https://www.epgsoft.com/visited-stat...100&format=png

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by highdesert View Post
    Is it still true that the same size fuel tank with diesel has more range than gas. My number one is how many miles per tank. Well, #1 is braking, but that is the same for gas or diesel. Don't get a 1/2 ton.
    We get 11-11.5 mpg with our 350 6.7 diesel. That’s towing. We see just over 20 without the trailer. Before we got it, I was talking to another fellow with a similar trailer, and he was complaining that he was getting about 7-8 mpg with his gasser. Similar set up, same truck, similar trailer. If you are looking for range, go with a long-bed and larger tank. I think the Ford has one that is just over 40 gallons.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Richter View Post
    If you are looking for range, go with a long-bed and larger tank. I think the Ford has one that is just over 40 gallons.
    Ford has a 48g tank on their long bed Superduty.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by highdesert View Post
    Actually, diesels usually have engine brakes.. And that's a big part of my braking when pulling a trailer, the engine brake has a lot of umph to it on the Ford 6.7, at highway speeds, I very rarely need to use my brakes (unless someone does something stupid). And if I do need the brakes, they are cool and ready to go and, plus the engine brake, it'll haul a load down quick!

The best towing experience you can get, no matter what you're towing is a dually/diesel pickup truck. Tons of power, engine brake, great stability. I generally start there, instead of "can I make this work", "what's the best and can I afford it and/or live with it". And the answer to "the best" is easy, diesel, dual rear wheels.

Beyond that, it really all depends. I love diesel engines, and the new ones have so much power it really makes a very good towing experience. But I towed a lot with gas in my past too, it works fine. Diesel is better, no question, and dually is better, also, no question.

Maybe that helps a little?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    Actually, diesels usually have engine brakes.. And that's a big part of my braking when pulling a trailer, the engine brake has a lot of umph to it on the Ford 6.7, at highway speeds, I very rarely need to use my brakes (unless someone does something stupid). And if I do need the brakes, they are cool and ready to go and, plus the engine brake, it'll haul a load down quick!

The best towing experience you can get, no matter what you're towing is a dually/diesel pickup truck. Tons of power, engine brake, great stability. I generally start there, instead of "can I make this work", "what's the best and can I afford it and/or live with it". And the answer to "the best" is easy, diesel, dual rear wheels.
    I will second many of the comments here about diesel/dually being the best towing experience. My old Ram 6.4 hemi struggled a bit on hills, overpasses, and the like. I know they are designed to rev up for power, and mine did, often with a hard shift on the hill, but I did not care for the constant shifting between 6th,5th, and oftentimes 4th.

The thing I like as much as anything is being able to use truck stops for refueling. Trying to fill up with gas and ~50ft of truck and trailer is no fun at a lot of gas stations. Couple that with the TSD card and you do not even have to go into the truck stop if you do not want to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast