User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    svanarts

Prospective owner

Hello all,
    I don't own a rig yet. This will be my first. I'm still in the research phase of all this. Trying to find the most dependable 5th wheel that requires the least amount of maintenance. Yeah, I know I'm looking for a unicorn. But there has to be one manufacturer that takes the least amount of work to maintain. So here I am nosing around this fine forum looking for tales of woe and tales of success!

My wife Cristy and are looking to downsize, sell everything, and live/work/travel in a 5th wheel. The GD Solitude line seems eminently livable but how roadworthy are they? GD touts that their models are "ESV" approved. But what about extended travel? How do they stand up?

Also, can someone explain to me the main differences in the "X" models versus the others?

Thanks and I hope I don't become a pest!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum and good luck with your search!

The way that I've heard the 320X and 325X models explained is that they have most of the same features as the non X Solitude models. The main differences are lower GVWR at 15000# and thereby only 6000# axles, no Roto-Flex pin box and optional 4 point auto leveling instead of 6 point...there's probably some other minor differences too. I understand that they're priced to compete against specific models from other manufacturers...SOBs (some other brands).

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

svanarts
    Ah, gotcha. How is your rig standing up to towing, may I ask?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have 7500 miles towing it now and have experienced few problems...we've very happy with our unit.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum.

Re: "" The GD Solitude line seems eminently livable but how roadworthy are they? GD touts that their models are "ESV" approved. But what about extended travel? How do they stand up? ""

I'll offer an opinion on your question, but clarify that I have a Reflection - not a Solitude.

My impression is that 95% of the problems/issues owners talk about are related to components/appliances/systems on their units.
    Extended travel, towability, etc? -- there don't seem to be many problems. I haven't had any with mine.
    There is the odd brake system or leaking seal problem, and at least one owner with an axle issue, but these are not frequent 'complaints.'
    And I believe this to be true across the Reflection, Solitude, and Momentum product lines.

For what it's worth.......Your mileage may vary.....yadda yadda yadda.

K
    Ken & Wilma
    Central Maryland
    2014 Reflection 337RLS #439
    2011 F250 CC 4x4

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum! This is a great place for research and ask any questions, very helpful people here. We have had our GD Reflection for 11 months, towed almost 4,000 miles. Only problems we've had have been items not built by GD. Microwave door, DVD player, and a cracked kitcvhen sink. All easily taken care of under warranty.
    I can tell you that stuff inside the trailer does not move around like it did in our last rig, I couldn't open an upper kitchen cabinet without trying to catch whatever was falling out once at camp. We have not had a single item fall or move in this unit. That tells me it rides a lot smoother on the road.
    There are others on forum with a lot more miles than us so far, I'm sure they'll be by to give their experience.
    I would suggest researching the dealer you will buy from, especially their service dept. no unit is perfect, you will probably need some warranty work, unfortunately not all dealers are good as they should be in taking care of customer after the sale.
    Again good luck with your search, hope to welcome you to the family soon
    Scott and Jan Platt Ocala, FL
    Cameron(Son) & Chica(chihuahua)
    2014 Reflection 337RLS
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 4X4, Crew Cab, Dually, Diesel
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

svanarts
    Thank you all that's all great to read. I'm fully expecting there to be some problems. I have been able to find few complaints about Grand Design in general and it was referred to me as a quality coach by folks on other non-brand specific forums. I'm just checking for things like "the trim fell off" or "leaks like a sieve". Doesn't seem like those kinds of problems are experienced. We're going to take a look at some this weekend.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum svanarts! You say this will be your first "rig", well, if you love to travel, sleep in your own bed, meet really friendly people, and enjoy life, then you are going to love this lifestyle. One thing you have to remember is this is a house/home on wheels and the roads in the U.S. are not well kept so no matter which brand you decide to go with, things happen. With that being said, we have close to 8000 miles on our Solitude and, knock on wood, no tire problems, no road damage, nothing falling off the exterior or interior, no leaks, and no cracks. We are happy campers and we love our Solitude!

Steve

svanarts
    Thanks Steve. That's great to read! I don't think we'll be doing too much "boondocking" out in the desert anyway. Due to my job I have to stay close to reliable cell phone and Internet reception. So we'll probably always be on paved roads anyway.

The 369RL is what I'm interested in. I see you have an F350 to pull it. So I'm guessing I'll need something of at least that horsepower and tow ratings?

svanarts
    I have another question. The fresh water capacity of the Solitude seems to only be 54 gallons. Other makes carry much more fresh water. Seems like this would be crucial for boondocking. Has anyone ever found the limited water capacity to be...um... limiting?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast