User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JT Strong-arm front needs reinforcement, thoughts

On my rig I was getting something out of my front storage bay and noticed a gap from frame and steel bay box. I used 2 of the thick aluminum spacers that came with the kit. One underneath and one above the storage box very front edge. I immediately released the pressure.....not sure if rig settled.

My thought was to reinforce across the front from ibeam to ibeam with C channel aluminum for weight savings? Steel better? Don't know why this trip was different, been using for 6 months....

Can do pics if needed.

Thought I read somewhere on here doing that.....

Jim
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)
    720w solar, 100/50 Victron scc

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jims94vmx View Post
    On my rig I was getting something out of my front storage bay and noticed a gap from frame and steel bay box. I used 2 of the thick aluminum spacers that came with the kit. One underneath and one above the storage box very front edge. I immediately released the pressure.....not sure if rig settled.

My thought was to reinforce across the front from ibeam to ibeam with C channel aluminum for weight savings? Steel better? Don't know why this trip was different, been using for 6 months....

Can do pics if needed.

Thought I read somewhere on here doing that.....

Jim

We had the same problem with our 303. The floor was glued to the upper section. Took some really good contact cement as that would not only help hold it together but also seal it up. Then put sheet metal screws all along the front of it. We did this 3 years ago and has held up well. We have the strong arms. We have 2 6 volt batteries and a 12 volt battery along with a lot of storage items up there.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had the same issue on my 323. The front pan is basically just sheet metal held in by sheet metal screws and glue. I also have the JT Strong arms, but I was also carrying four golf cart batteries in the compartment. So my problem was the weight of the batteries, the pan was bending down. I emptied the pan out and bent it back into place from under the trailer by using a floor jack and 2X4's. I then used L angle iron across the frame I beams on the inside of the compartment and bolted the tray to the angle iron. The JT Strong arm bolts were then bolted through the angle iron. No issues since. You definitely want to use steel, not aluminum. Get the largest dimensional L angle you can and still fit in the lip of the enclosure. I think I used 1-1/2 inch.

While you are at it, I would also run the same across the back of the tray. However, you can do this from under the trailer, spanning the frame with the angle iron and then bolting the back of the pan to it.

DAN
    2016 Reflection 323BHS
    2006 5.9L Ram Megacab

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. Will look at reinforcement and some screws to reinforcement and front frame....not sure how I could cement, but can fill with clear silicone. The space is now very small.
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoElkhounds View Post
    Had the same issue on my 323. The front pan is basically just sheet metal held in by sheet metal screws and glue. I also have the JT Strong arms, but I was also carrying four golf cart batteries in the compartment. So my problem was the weight of the batteries, the pan was bending down. I emptied the pan out and bent it back into place from under the trailer by using a floor jack and 2X4's. I then used L angle iron across the frame I beams on the inside of the compartment and bolted the tray to the angle iron. The JT Strong arm bolts were then bolted through the angle iron. No issues since. You definitely want to use steel, not aluminum. Get the largest dimensional L angle you can and still fit in the lip of the enclosure. I think I used 1-1/2 inch.

While you are at it, I would also run the same across the back of the tray. However, you can do this from under the trailer, spanning the frame with the angle iron and then bolting the back of the pan to it.

DAN
    Did you run your front brace under the tray, between the landing gear? Thanks.
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no weight in front since going lithium. Just light stuff. Bet I have maybe 20lbs now.....
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Relooked underneath and went through the back bottom area. It is tack welded and is part of a vertical metal plate.
    Still sandwiched 2 plates.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210106_115157.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	31456

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210106_115217.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	31457

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210106_115227.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	31458

I will also tighten these last. Instructions says to level then tighten bars and lift front to increase
    Pressure. I will do that but not the very front....do last.

Hope that makes sense.
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jims94vmx View Post
    Did you run your front brace under the tray, between the landing gear? Thanks.
    I put mine inside the compartment on top of the tray, up against the front wall of the compartment. The JT Strongarms are bolted up through the tray and the angle iron. You could probably do it outside on the bottom of the compartment as well, might actually be easier.

DAN
    2016 Reflection 323BHS
    2006 5.9L Ram Megacab