User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wjpatter View Post
    The route from Missoula to Caldwell looks interesting. Do you know anything about ID55 from New Meadows South? It is either that or cross into Oregon and head for Copperfield. I'm going to have to find an overnight for a couple of days to checkout the area. Thanks.
    Bill
    ID55 is a main highway. I'm betting; lots of log trucks at one time. It's a wide road with mostly sweeping corners. The scenery will be lots of trees and lakes etc.
    ID95 is also a main highway. Easier corners and vast open country with less trees. ie less scenic for me.

I have not been to Copperfield, Oregon. I have been on ID71 (right next to the Snake River) and OR86 ( once 71 crosses the OR / ID border ) on motorcycle. It's great on a motorcycle, but ID71 is very tight corners (20 mph) and the road goes UP once it crosses the river. Eastern Oregon has a shortage of north / south roads. OR395 is not a very RV friendly road. Steep ups and downs, plus corners. It's doable, but will make your truck do a bit of grunting.

We have camped with the pickup camper at Orofino, Wa at Clearwater Crossing RV Park. A big rig would fit in some spots.

I found this one using RV Trip wizard. Powell Campground on US12 is a USFS campground located 12 miles west of Lolo Pass.

KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm laying in the big bones of our travel this summer and need some help getting from St Mary, MT to Arches National Park next August. I'll be stopping in Caldwell, ID if they ever set the date for their rodeo. I know nothing about what is along the Snake River. I'm leaving Florida in June and will be in Albuquerque in October for Balloon fest. Getting to Glacier is easy. Idaho and Utah are mysteries. Any places to stay, things to do, events happening that you know of will be greatly appreciated.
    Hi Bill and Marsha,

If you are adventurous, Idaho has some great whitewater rafting. Worth spending an extra day or two. This is a great trip you are planning. Take your time and enjoy it. Lots to see and do.

Have fun!

Mark
    Mark & Megan & Levi (our floppy eared four legged furry friend)
    2019 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax
    B & W Companion

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    Bill
    ID55 is a main highway. I'm betting; lots of log trucks at one time. It's a wide road with mostly sweeping corners. The scenery will be lots of trees and lakes etc.
    ID95 is also a main highway. Easier corners and vast open country with less trees. ie less scenic for me.

I have not been to Copperfield, Oregon. I have been on ID71 (right next to the Snake River) and OR86 ( once 71 crosses the OR / ID border ) on motorcycle. It's great on a motorcycle, but ID71 is very tight corners (20 mph) and the road goes UP once it crosses the river. Eastern Oregon has a shortage of north / south roads. OR395 is not a very RV friendly road. Steep ups and downs, plus corners. It's doable, but will make your truck do a bit of grunting.

We have camped with the pickup camper at Orofino, Wa at Clearwater Crossing RV Park. A big rig would fit in some spots.

I found this one using RV Trip wizard. Powell Campground on US12 is a USFS campground located 12 miles west of Lolo Pass.

KEN
    The more I look at this area, the more intrigued I become. I'm re-planning the trip to spend some serious time in this area if I can figure out how to get to the Snake River. Swiftwater RV looks interesting. Their website talks about outfitters in the area where I can trail ride. I see a number of BLM Camps in that area. How safe is it to park the 5th wheel while I'm out touring?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ID95.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	31492
    Bill & Marsha
    2020 Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 2500HD Silverado 4x4
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MN-Mark View Post
    Hi Bill and Marsha,

If you are adventurous, Idaho has some great whitewater rafting. Worth spending an extra day or two. This is a great trip you are planning. Take your time and enjoy it. Lots to see and do.

Have fun!

Mark
    What time for year, where did you go in, and what class of rapids were you in.
    Bill & Marsha
    2020 Reflection 320 MKS

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The more I look at this area, the more intrigued I become. I'm re-planning the trip to spend some serious time in this area if I can figure out how to get to the Snake River. Swiftwater RV looks interesting. Their website talks about outfitters in the area where I can trail ride. I see a number of BLM Camps in that area. How safe is it to park the 5th wheel while I'm out touring?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ID95.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	31492
    Swiftwater RV Park looks like a great find. Small and remote. I would think your rig would be safe at the rv park. Only you would know once you got there and got a feel for the place. I would think most things in Idaho would be fairly safe from thieves. Most good people from ID carry a gun or 3 to help keep people honest.
    Why do you want to go to the Snake River. To me; it's just the border river between ID and Oregon.

Looking at the location of the Swiftwater RV park; just up the road is Hells Canyon Jet Boat excurision. That would be the best way to see the Snake River. Oh YA. KEN
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What time for year, where did you go in, and what class of rapids were you in.
    We were there several years ago, early summer. I don’t remember what class the rapids were but they were challenging. I do remember the water was really running. I’ll do some digging and see if I can find the river and area.

Saw a mountain lion on that trip standing on the bank. Really cool.

Mark
    Mark & Megan & Levi (our floppy eared four legged furry friend)
    2019 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax
    B & W Companion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought the maps National Geographic puts out (buy at Amazon) for the National Parks in Utah. I also use the various apps available for locating campgrounds (Parky, KOA, etc.). Also each state has a visitor's bureau that will load you with information including coupons, photos, maps, etc., etc.

I just finished laying out our seven week run through Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Arches and the other four in Utah, as well as other interesting places/sites in Wyoming, Utah, Arizona, and New Mexico. We do this every year and have a great time. We'll be gone from early May into July.

It takes me about a month to speck it all out. When I have questions, I call the state and/or attraction's visitor's center w/ questions.

Good luck. Have a great time.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arches, Bryce and Zion

I'm laying in the big bones of our travel this summer and need some help getting from St Mary, MT to Arches National Park next August. I'll be stopping in Caldwell, ID if they ever set the date for their rodeo. I know nothing about what is along the Snake River. I'm leaving Florida in June and will be in Albuquerque in October for Balloon fest. Getting to Glacier is easy. Idaho and Utah are mysteries. Any places to stay, things to do, events happening that you know of will be greatly appreciated.
    If you're doing the Arches then Canyon Lands, Bryce Canyon and Zion have to be on your list. Arches and Canyon Lands are so close together it's a one stop shop. Then head south to Bryce and there are usually places to camp in the park or near by. We actually stayed at a KOA in Cannonville which is a short drive but well worth the effort. After Bryce go straight to Zion and enter from the top of the canyon. It'll cost you an additional $15.00 to come down that way but it is a spectacular view. The $15.00 is for the tunnel. They stop traffic to let oversize vehicles go through because you'll need to center of the road for the entire tunnel. There's plenty of room as long as you're using the center of the road for the entire mile. It's so cool we're doing it again in March. Make your reservations now!

Good Luck and enjoy your trip.

Ron

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brach311 View Post
    I bought the maps National Geographic puts out (buy at Amazon) for the National Parks in Utah. I also use the various apps available for locating campgrounds (Parky, KOA, etc.). Also each state has a visitor's bureau that will load you with information including coupons, photos, maps, etc., etc.

I just finished laying out our seven week run through Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Arches and the other four in Utah, as well as other interesting places/sites in Wyoming, Utah, Arizona, and New Mexico. We do this every year and have a great time. We'll be gone from early May into July.

It takes me about a month to speck it all out. When I have questions, I call the state and/or attraction's visitor's center w/ questions.

Thanks for the tips. Our trips are event driven. Frontier days in Cheyenne, rodeo in Caldwell and balloon fest in Albuquerque are set in stone and the route getting there is the planning. I've gotten some great tip and now I'm running out of time. It is a good problem to have. You have a lot of fill between Jamestown and all points west! If you are taking the northern route to Yellowstone, checkout Custer State Park in South Dakota. It is a great park to drink your coffee at sunrise and watch the buffalo and wild donkeys come out of the hills. Crazy Horse Memorial is also close by.
    Bill & Marsha
    2020 Reflection 320 MKS

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brach311 View Post

That's a good idea calling the visitor info center.
    Building the route is part of the fun. I did 2 or 3 week trip on my Harley for over 20 years. Coast to Coast to Coast. Alaska, UT, CO and many more. I would build the route and plug in each day's route into the GPS that is mounted on the handlebars. If I wondered off route, the gps would help me get back on track.

FUN FUN

KEN
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast