User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Serious Planning for Tire/Rim and Suspension Upgrades 2020 310GK-R

DW and I been FT 1 year now. My RV is a keeper (no serious issues) and I'm seriously considering suspension and tire/rim upgrades.
    On this forum, I've read many excellent posts on this topic. My purpose is to pull all this into one post (this one) because I may be pulling the trigger
    very soon during my downtime here in Florida. Here are my questions, thank you in advance for your valuable time and wisdom.

- Looking at MORryde Ind. Suspension (8K load tandem axle) - Cost estimate total labor and parts?
    - Convert to Disc Brakes - Recommended brand? - Estimated cost?
    - Upgrade tires from Stock Westlakes ST235/80R16s 14 Ply G load range to a larger robust tire H load rated? Is this a 17.5?
    - Your Recommended tire Sailun fans (Cost for 5 mounted and balanced):
    - Your Recommended tire Goodyear fans (Cost for 5 mounted and balanced):
    - Larger tires, now I need a larger rims than my stock rims. What size and type of rims do you recommend? Cost?
    - Brake controller? Do I need to upgrade if I make the upgrades above?

Did I miss something?
    RV: 2020 Solitude 310GK - FB Paint, 300W Solar, Onan 5500 Gen, DP Windows, Samsung R-Frig, Splendide Stacked W/D.
    Tow Vehicle: 2020 3500 Silverado, DRW, HC Pkg., D-Max 6.6L Diesel, 10 Spd. Allison Trans.
    Hitch: Andersen 3220 Ult 2 With Safety Chain Package.
    Satellite: Winegard Pathway X2/Wally Rec. RV Tow Camera Rear: Furrion Sharkfin 7" Monitor.
    Autoformer/Surge Protect: Hughes 50 AMP

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bhop56 View Post
    DW and I been FT 1 year now. My RV is a keeper (no serious issues) and I'm seriously considering suspension and tire/rim upgrades.
    On this forum, I've read many excellent posts on this topic. My purpose is to pull all this into one post (this one) because I may be pulling the trigger
    very soon during my downtime here in Florida. Here are my questions, thank you in advance for your valuable time and wisdom.

- Looking at MORryde Ind. Suspension (8K load tandem axle) - Cost estimate total labor and parts?
    - Upgrade tires from Stock Westlakes ST235/80R16s 14 Ply G load range to a larger robust tire H load rated? Is this a 17.5?
    - Larger tires, now I need a larger rims than my stock rims. What size and type of rims do you recommend? Cost?

Did I miss something?
    With regard to the Disc Brakes: The disk brakes are hydraulically operated, consequently, you will need an Electric Hydraulic Pump to actuate the Disc Brakes. However, your Tow Vehicle is only able to engage the brakes via an "Electric Circuit", this is known as "Electric Over Hydraulic" braking system. Your Braking Controller needs to have a setting to accommodate this "Electric/Hydraulic" braking system. Most newer brake controllers do have this setting including some OEM controllers (my 2019 F350 does). If your brake controller has this setting you won't have to change it, otherwise you will need an upgraded brake controller.

If you decide to upgrade to Disc Brakes (I highly recommend them) be sure that you have made the decision to not install the Mor Ride Independent suspension, it would be very expensive to install Disc Brakes and then turn around and have to pay for them again when you upgrade to the Mor Ride suspension.

I am not sure why you want a larger tire? The 310 GK already sits very high off the ground, so why raise it? Another consideration is that you will be raising an already tall coach (13'5"), you would not want to raise your coach too high, such that, you shear off the Front Air Conditioner under a 13'6" overpass.

The "G" rated tire on the 310 GK is already over rated. The tires can carry 17,600 lbs at 75 mph, your axles are only rated to 14,000 lbs and you probably have 3,000 pounds on the pinbox, by rough calculations, you have 6,500 pounds extra capacity in your tires, that's ~ 50% excess weight capacity on your 15,000 pound coach. For OEM tires that is pretty darn good !!!

As far as Westlakes vs Goodyear/Saluin tires go, my research has determined that the Westlakes ("G" Rated) are pretty darn good tires and people have not reported any more failures in the Westlakes then they have in the other two brands. Personally, I have decided to keep my Westlakes until they need to be replaced, at that time, I would consider the other two brands, but I could also be talked into going with the Westlakes again. I have traveled over 6,000 on my Westlakes and at sustained speeds of 75mph, I wouldn't do that if I did not trust the tires.
    Last edited by SolarPoweredRV; 01-07-2021 at 03:05 PM.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did I miss something?
    MORryde: MORryde IS (Independent) Suspension System with Disc Brakes (August 2020) done at the factory in Indiana. There is a guy in Grants Pass, OR that installs these also, but it is more expensive due to the fact that they have the ship the parts to him.
    2 axle; 7k rating $6,899 + 5% tax
    2 axle; 8k rating* $7,299 + 5% tax

Tires: there is a recent discussion on pricing for these.
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...406#post339406
    (Ordered 7/13/20) 2021 Solitude 310GK, FBP, DP, HP, Toppers, Solar, MORryde 7K IS w/Disc Brakes
    Built 9/9/20; To Paint 9/11/20 (5-6 weeks); Done Paint 10/1/20; MORryde axle upgrade 10/5/20; Done at MORryde and paid for 10/8/20; Arrived at Dealer 10/20/20; picked up 11/7/20

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    With regard to the Disc Brakes: The disk brakes are hydraulically operated, consequently, you will need an Electric Hydraulic Pump to actuate the Disc Brakes. However, your Tow Vehicle is only able to engage the brakes via an "Electric Circuit", this is known as "Electric Over Hydraulic" braking system. Your Braking Controller needs to have a setting to accommodate this "Electric/Hydraulic" braking system. Most newer brake controllers do have this setting including some OEM controllers (my 219 F350 does). If your brake controller has this setting you won't have to change it, otherwise you will need an upgraded brake controller.

If you decide to upgrade to Disc Brakes (I highly recommend them) be sure that you have made the decision to not install the Mor Ride Independent suspension, it would be very expensive to install Disc Brakes and then turn around and have to pay for them again when you upgrade to the Mor Ride suspension.

I am not sure why you want a larger tire? The 310 GK already sits very high off the ground, so why raise it? Another consideration is that you will be raising an already tall coach (13'5"), you would not want to raise your coach too high, such that, you shear off the Front Air Conditioner under a 13'6" overpass.

The "G" rated tire on the 310 GK is already over rated. The tires can carry 17,600 lbs at 75 mph, your axles are only rated to 14,000 lbs and you probably have 3,000 pounds on the pinbox, by rough calculations, you have 6,500 pounds extra capacity in your tires, that's ~ 50% excess weight capacity on your 15,000 pound coach. For OEM tires that is pretty darn good !!!

As far as Westlakes vs Goodyear/Saluin tires go, my research has determined that the Westlakes ("G" Rated) are pretty darn good tires and people have not reported any more failures in the Westlakes then they have in the other two brands. Personally, I have decided to keep my Westlakes until they need to be replaced, at that time, I would consider the other two brands, but I could also be talked into going with the Westlakes again. I have traveled over 6,000 on my Westlakes and at sustained speeds of 75mph, I wouldn't do that if I did not trust the tires.
    Great input David, much appreciated. You're saving me big bucks here. I especially appreciate the comment on the timing of the IS install and Disc Brakes. The local RV Repair guy here at the RV Park said he would do the Disc Brakes but not the IS conversion. Without your input I might have taken him up on it.
    RV: 2020 Solitude 310GK - FB Paint, 300W Solar, Onan 5500 Gen, DP Windows, Samsung R-Frig, Splendide Stacked W/D.
    Tow Vehicle: 2020 3500 Silverado, DRW, HC Pkg., D-Max 6.6L Diesel, 10 Spd. Allison Trans.
    Satellite: Winegard Pathway X2/Wally Rec. RV Tow Camera Rear: Furrion Sharkfin 7" Monitor.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great input David, much appreciated. You're saving me big bucks here. I especially appreciate the comment on the timing of the IS install and Disc Brakes. The local RV Repair guy here at the RV Park said he would do the Disc Brakes but not the IS conversion. Without your input I might have taken him up on it.
    I just read this posting where the poster had the opportunity to Tow a coach with "Stock" suspension and a coach with the MorRide suspension on back-to-back trips, his thoughts might save you even more money...

Post: https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ension-upgrade

If this sways you against the Mor Ride system, I would go ahead with the Disc Brake install where you are. I would also recommend getting the 8k Disc Brakes vs the 7k brakes, for a few dollars more, you get bigger Discs and more stopping power.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Serious Planning on Tire/Rim and Suspension Upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    I just read this posting where the poster had the opportunity to Tow a coach with "Stock" suspension and a coach with the MorRide suspension on back-to-back trips, his thoughts might save you even more money...

Post: https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ension-upgrade

If this sways you against the Mor Ride system, I would go ahead with the Disc Brake install where you are. I would also recommend getting the 8k Disc Brakes vs the 7k brakes, for a few dollars more, you get bigger Discs and more stopping power.
    Got it. I've studied the thread you sent me. Excellent info. Right now I'm going to go IS and Disc Brakes 8K. Thank you sir!

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just for completeness of information and options, for those who are interested - in addition to MorRyde IS, there are other IS systems out there in the marketplace.

The Dexter Torflex and Timbrens Axleless suspension systems are trailing axle independent suspension systems similar to the MorRyde. They are also quite a bit less costly. There are other IS systems out there as well.

Timbrens (and MorRyde itself eventually) also has air bag suspension systems, which are probably the ultimate in ride comfort and adjustability.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're happy with your ride then maybe pass on the IS - for now at least.
    Absolutly convert to disc brakes. You won't regret it. I think Kodiak is a favorite brand, I like the Hydrastar over the Titan controller.
    I wish I had put ST235/85R16s on my rig when I threw out the Westlake when brand new. The 85's sit a bit higher and carry a bit more of load (not that I need the load carrying capacity)
    I got the Sailuns. Like I said, just wish I had gotten the 85's. You'll have to sort out pricing/mounting based on where you are shopping and getting this done. Prices stay pretty much the same all over the internet.
    I can't imagine why you'd need larger rims and tires.
    Can't tell what controller (or truck) you have, but my stock Ford is fine and I know a few GM folks who kept their stock controllers.

Did I miss something?
    All my comments are in red......
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Planning For Suspension and Brake Upgrade

Communicated with MORryde today via e-mail. They do have some Jan and Feb spots to do the IS and Disc Brake upgrade. After that it will be September.
    There is the Oregon company but you'll pay CA labor costs and extra shipping for all the parts. For some reason traveling from Florida to Elkhart in Jan and Feb is not very appealing plus the road salt damage to my RV frame and chassis. I may go ahead with the Disc brakes locally.
    You know, If I had customers backed up to September with cash in hand I think I would create more capacity UNLESS I really didn't care about making money.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you looked at commercial trucking trailer suspension shops? I don't see why they could not install the independent suspension of your choice.

Communicated with MORryde today via e-mail. They do have some Jan and Feb spots to do the IS and Disc Brake upgrade. After that it will be September.
    There is the Oregon company but you'll pay CA labor costs and extra shipping for all the parts. For some reason traveling from Florida to Elkhart in Jan and Feb is not very appealing plus the road salt damage to my RV frame and chassis. I may go ahead with the Disc brakes locally.
    You know, If I had customers backed up to September with cash in hand I think I would create more capacity UNLESS I really didn't care about making money.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast