User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Storing the bunk ladder?

Anyone have any good places to store the bunk ladder? I don't want to chuck it out, but it takes a ton of room in my basement, gets hooked on everything and I very rarely need it (use the bunk for storage). Just wondered if anyone had come up with some bright ideas.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here ya go....4 Quick Fist clamps screwed to the ceiling...into the wooden studs.

2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And basically the same solution for the shorter one.....so take your choice, as I'm not sure which one you are referring to....

2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My hero! That's perfect, thank you!

What size Quickfist clamps did you use? Looks like about 1/2in would be right, just want to see if you happen to remember.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They hurt too much. Got rid of it. Bought one of those collapsing ladders. Serves multiple purposes. And easy to store.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    My hero! That's perfect, thank you!

What size Quickfist clamps did you use? Looks like about 1/2in would be right, just want to see if you happen to remember.
    I went back through my Amazon orders and it looks like the Mini Quick Fist clamps. They range from 5/8" to 1 3/8" fit diameter. Hope that helps.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    I went back through my Amazon orders and it looks like the Mini Quick Fist clamps. They range from 5/8" to 1 3/8" fit diameter. Hope that helps.
    It sure does, thank you again. Just ordered them, that's a huge improvement over what I've been doing (jamming it in the basement then fighting with it every time I go in there).

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    It sure does, thank you again. Just ordered them, that's a huge improvement over what I've been doing (jamming it in the basement then fighting with it every time I go in there).
    You're welcome. I love to be able to take credit for coming up with the idea, but all I can do is pass it along. I saw it on one of the Grand Design facebook pages quite a while back and I did mine last year....not long after I saw it.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just saw this post, thanks guys! Those ladders are so annoying! I’m definitely going to do this.
    @xrated did you just screw it to the flimsy side panels or what did use for screws? It’s obviously holding up since you’ve had this done for awhile now
    2021 Momentum 381M (Ordered 3/6/2020, Delivered 8/27/2020)
    -- Full Body Paint, MORryde IS 7k w/ disc brakes, Gen-Y Gooseneck conversion, 3 AC, Heat Pump, Dual Pane Windows, Slide Toppers, Residential Fridge

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstAscent View Post
    Just saw this post, thanks guys! Those ladders are so annoying! I’m definitely going to do this.
    @xrated did you just screw it to the flimsy side panels or what did use for screws? It’s obviously holding up since you’ve had this done for awhile now
    Well, no idea if mine will hold up yet, but..

I ordered 4 clamps last week and put them in this weekend.

Here's what I ordered:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I put them on the underside of the bunk in the garage (they are on the lower part of the ceiling). I was able to find some "studs", which are really just spacer boards between the bottom of the bunk and the ceiling. My stud finder would not find them, so I pulled out the lights and used a tape measure to find the studs; I could slide into the area. IIRC, the studs were 5 3/4" to the outside (towards the walls) of the lights. I suspect this will differ, so measure it yourself for sure.

For screws, I used a 1.5" construction screw with a washer on it to keep from pulling through. I just did one screw in each clamp (in the middle). Not too hard. I was thinking of backing it up with some Gorilla glue, but after pulling on it after installing all 4, I don't think it's necessary, they are up there pretty good. Each of those clamps is rated for 25 lbs, I have 4 of them holding up something that maybe weighs 10lbs, so I think I've got enough margin. Will report back should anything go wrong, but I doubt it will.

Once again, big thank you to xrated, so happy to have that thing out of the basement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast