User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
    Many dealers can provide 10-20% off of the listed online retail pricing as well if you work with them. This is what I have done with Continuous Resources for all of my components. My batteries for example retail at $4400 each, but I got them for $3500 each (which makes them price competitive with discounted BattleBorns - for anyone concerned that Victron was overpriced ).
    So I need a complete system. 800 watts on the roof, Victron Multi Plus 3000, Victron Charge controller 150/70, 4 Battel Born lithium, DC to DC charger. The thing I'm not sure of yet is the battery monitor. Maybe just the BMV 712. Is it best to get it all from the same place? Would you get the panels from one place and the rest elsewhere?
    John & Beata, Waterford, WI
    2021 Reflection 337 RLS, 2017 Ford F350 Lariat, Diesel, Crew Cab, Demco 21K Recon 5th Wheel Hitch

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I need a complete system. 800 watts on the roof, Victron Multi Plus 3000, Victron Charge controller 150/70, 4 Battel Born lithium, DC to DC charger. The thing I'm not sure of yet is the battery monitor. Maybe just the BMV 712. Is it best to get it all from the same place? Would you get the panels from one place and the rest elsewhere?

Yes, you should get everything from one Brand, however, since the panels are not "smart" you can choose your panels from any vendor you choose.

One additional suggestion; look into getting Solar panels with higher wattage. If the panels you have chosen are the only ones that will fit on your roof, search for panels with higher wattage that are the same size as the ones you have already chosen. I suggest this because, even with 1200 watts on my roof, I was running short on winter days camping in AZ last year. Now I had enough battery storage to not run out of power, but every day my max battery voltage would get lower and lower, fortunately, we never ran out of battery capacity because we were plugged into shore power every few days and the batteries would get fully charged. Just something to keep in mind when designing your system, not every day is Sunny and Bright and the low Winter angle of the Sun can easily halve your Solar output.

Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post

Having worked in the computer industry, I learned early on the advantage of having a single vendor and equipment that talked to each other with a common language.

I once experienced an entire Main-Frame Computer System down for a week because each vendor was pointing a finger at the other vendor stating that the problem was the "other guy's" problem. Well, the whole system went down and every vendor was called into that computer room to find out what the problem was, turned out that one computer was issuing commands faster than the other computer could respond and every once-in-awhile, the signal would bump into another signal and crash the entire operation. The fix was to slow down the signals from the faster computer.

This was a lesson learned early on in my computing career that stayed with me throughout my career in Computer Systems Management, I always picked one vendor and stayed with it. This saved me a whole lot of downtime and trouble shooting during the Computer Age Growth period in the 80's and 90's.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Many dealers can provide 10-20% off of the listed online retail pricing as well if you work with them. This is what I have done with Continuous Resources for all of my components. My batteries for example retail at $4400 each, but I got them for $3500 each (which makes them price competitive with discounted BattleBorns - for anyone concerned that Victron was overpriced ).
    How has https://www.continuousresources.com/ been to work with? Can they help program the Multiplus 3000 and help you set up and debug the operation. Prices are OK - a bit higher than invertersrus, but they appear to have a price match note on their site. I wonder if they charge out of state sale tax? Ill haft to call them tomorrow.

Thanks
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely talk to someone there. They can help you spec out a system and provide overall system wide discounts vs onesy twosy stuff. I bought literally everything in my system besides wire and some busbars and switches from them. Got small stuff as needed off Amazon since it was quicker and 15% off of a small amount is a small amount, not worth the extra time.

I designed my system myself and then went to them for validation and bulk discount since I had my full list of needed parts together. But the more complete picture you can describe of what you will need, with all parts included, the better discount they can put together for you. They then allowed me to buy my parts in phases over a year but preserved the total discount.

Admittedly their responsiveness has slipped considerably over the last year, but they still provide the discounts I wanted and got my orders taken care of, so not complaining!

I programmed my stuff myself, since I am a nerd and enjoy such things, but I believe they can help with that as well.

Attached is an example of the discount they put together for me on an early version of my build (changed a lot since then but this shows how much you can save by working with them vs just ordering parts online). For reference, this was a full suite of Victron parts, nothing was high margin cheap stuff.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CR Discount.jpg  
    Last edited by cookinwitdiesel; 01-13-2021 at 05:56 PM.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Definitely talk to someone there. They can help you spec out a system and provide overall system wide discounts vs onesy twosy stuff. I bought literally everything in my system besides wire and some busbars and switches from them. Got small stuff as needed off Amazon since it was quicker and 15% off of a small amount is a small amount, not worth the extra time.

I designed my system myself and then went to them for validation and bulk discount since I had my full list of needed parts together. But the more complete picture you can describe of what you will need, with all parts included, the better discount they can put together for you. They then allowed me to buy my parts in phases over a year but preserved the total discount.

Admittedly their responsiveness has slipped considerably over the last year, but they still provide the discounts I wanted and got my orders taken care of, so not complaining!

I programmed my stuff myself, since I am a nerd and enjoy such things, but I believe they can help with that as well.

Attached is an example of the discount they put together for me on an early version of my build (changed a lot since then but this shows how much you can save by working with them vs just ordering parts online). For reference, this was a full suite of Victron parts, nothing was high margin cheap stuff.
    So you saved roughly 35%?????
    Ill see what they say tomorrow - have a lot of questions for them.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ultimately ended up with a lower % but a larger overall system. I would have to go back and tally it all up

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So is all of this solar charging and inverting better than an onboard generator?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wjpatter View Post
    @powersol, these numbers may be useful in sizing your inverter. My numbers are all amps delivered by the battery will individual loads activated. The microwave at 155 amps is a the the upper limit of my 2000w inverter. The biggest mistake I made when my first inverter failed out of the box was to select a replacement that did not have a remote on/off switch. The parasitic load of inverter only is 1.3 amp, totally unloaded. That translates to 1860 AH daily if not turned off.

Attachment 31474
    I think your math is off on that inverter only load. 1.3 x 24 is 31.2 amp hours. Where is your 1860 coming from? That would be a HUGE battery bank needed to only keep the inverter on standby? That’s not correct.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got the victron from amsolar last month and installed it over new years to due half of my breaker. They programmed it for me before it shipped based on my batteries. I also got the monitor and had to add a box to split the 50 amps coming in.

I would imagine other manufacturers and inverters can come pre programmed as well.
    Imagine 2020 2670MK,
    2021 RAM 2500

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ra&Ta350 View Post
    So is all of this solar charging and inverting better than an onboard generator?
    That is like asking the question "So, what is the right RV for me?". There are so many ways to answer the question. Of course the best answer is "It depends...".

In many ways Solar is much better than using a Generator, the biggest advantage is that Solar is SILENT !!!! Running a Generator is a noisy proposition and it will make your camping neighbors upset if you run it for long periods, unless, of course, they have an even noisier generator than you and you will be the one upset.

Another advantage is that Solar uses no fuel and you do not need to carry extra fuel just for the generator, this is especially important if you drive a Diesel and you have to purchase and carry Gasoline only for the Generator (if your Generator runs on Propane, you will be buying Propane more often).

Wheither you need Solar or a Generator really depends on how often you Boondock and for how long you stay in each Boondock site. If you only boondock occasionally, like overnight on long trips, then you might be better served by investing in a large Lithium Battery Bank and forego both Solar and the Generator (this will save you money $$$). However if you are planning on doing a lot of Boondocking, then the choice becomes "Do I want to listen to my Generator a lot of the time?, or do I want to add Solar to my roof and enjoy nature?.

At the end of the day, both Solar and a Generator simply provide a method to recharge the batteries in the coach and provide 120 volt power to some (or all) of your appliances/outlets.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123