User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Question Inverter / Chargers - Brand Discussion Pro - Con

First - please no name/brand bashing or don't get this or that unless you have specific details. I am trying to learn and I hope a good discussion will help others. My searches have provided bits and pieces, but nothing to compare nits.

Comparison items;

Customer service
    Quality - breakdowns
    Specifications - what is critical for converting (charging) and Inverting
    Ease of setup
    Durability

Anything else?

In looking at my future set up I have run across several brands that all appear to work. However I am not knowledgeable enough to understand the differences in the brands and what they can actually do.

Following is a list of the 3000W range inverter chargers I have found. My ultimate goal is a bank of 4 100AH Battle Born battery's or similar. When I say similar they have matching cycle lengths/power output and have a costumer service center that can help.

First what appears to be the gold standard as it can be programed more than the others
    https://invertersrus.com/product/vic...-pmp123021102/ I already know I need extra stuff to program and monitor.

https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/pr...-msh-rv-series
    https://invertersrus.com/product/magnumenergy-me3112/
    Also has a remote monitor - extra

https://invertersrus.com/product/aim...lf30w12v120vr/
    https://www.aimscorp.net/3000-Watt-P...r-Charger.html
    https://www.aimscorp.net/3000-Watt-P...harger-UL.html
    Aims has the two 3000W models shown above, but I am not sure of the real differences. The ETL certified one has a much different charging profile for Lithium then the non ETL model. Also need an extra remote monitor to watch either.

There are other brands all costing about the same. Reviews vary widely as to the top 10 ratings

In various posts here and other places folks have changed between brands for various reasons - usually when they go to Lithium battery's.

So what are the real differences. What are key points to look for.

Thanks
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't want to spend a fortune on our solar system.
    I just went with an inexpensive inverter. Doing the elaborate system; a high end inverter is necessary. I see that the Victron you linked first has some great features.
    Read from "Multifunctional, with intelligent power management" down on the web page. These things are what will make your solar setup great.

KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @powersol, these numbers may be useful in sizing your inverter. My numbers are all amps delivered by the battery will individual loads activated. The microwave at 155 amps is a the the upper limit of my 2000w inverter. The biggest mistake I made when my first inverter failed out of the box was to select a replacement that did not have a remote on/off switch. The parasitic load of inverter only is 1.3 amp, totally unloaded. That translates to 1860 AH daily if not turned off.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Measured 320MKS Equipment Power utilization.pdf 
Views:	48 
Size:	189.8 KB 
ID:	31474
    Bill & Marsha
    2020 Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 2500HD Silverado 4x4
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've noticed in high end motorhomes they always use either Xantrex or Magnum. So, just from that, I'd say those are good brands.

I had a Xantrex in my motorhome; the features and remote abilities seemed endless. I put a Xantrex in the 5th wheel I have now; it's a Freedom XC 2000. I suppose if I got some solar panels I'd just stick with it.

But I've noticed on this site folks favor Victron and Go Power. I think cookinwithdiesel uses Go Power - not sure tho.

I suppose any one of those is OK. I'd guess in the end it would be based on the features you want versus the functionality and cost.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are going to use a computer with your inverter/charger, be sure to get one with a pure sine wave.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    First - please no name/brand bashing or don't get this or that unless you have specific details. I am trying to learn and I hope a good discussion will help others. My searches have provided bits and pieces, but nothing to compare nits.

Comparison items;

Customer service
    Quality - breakdowns
    Specifications - what is critical for converting (charging) and Inverting
    Ease of setup
    Durability

Anything else?

In looking at my future set up I have run across several brands that all appear to work. However I am not knowledgeable enough to understand the differences in the brands and what they can actually do.

Following is a list of the 3000W range inverter chargers I have found. My ultimate goal is a bank of 4 100AH Battle Born battery's or similar. When I say similar they have matching cycle lengths/power output and have a costumer service center that can help.

First what appears to be the gold standard as it can be programed more than the others
    https://invertersrus.com/product/vic...-pmp123021102/ I already know I need extra stuff to program and monitor.

https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/pr...-msh-rv-series
    https://invertersrus.com/product/magnumenergy-me3112/
    Also has a remote monitor - extra

https://invertersrus.com/product/aim...lf30w12v120vr/
    https://www.aimscorp.net/3000-Watt-P...r-Charger.html
    https://www.aimscorp.net/3000-Watt-P...harger-UL.html
    Aims has the two 3000W models shown above, but I am not sure of the real differences. The ETL certified one has a much different charging profile for Lithium then the non ETL model. Also need an extra remote monitor to watch either.

There are other brands all costing about the same. Reviews vary widely as to the top 10 ratings

In various posts here and other places folks have changed between brands for various reasons - usually when they go to Lithium battery's.

So what are the real differences. What are key points to look for.

Thanks
    We currently have the Victron 3000 with 300 ah of battleborn batteries. Had a 2000 watt AIM inverter but after warranty problems and terrible customer service we abandoned for Victron. Have used Battleborn and InvertersRUs customer service with great assistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kevin and Deb. 50ST8R
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 Ford F-350 SRW 4x4 Diesel Platinum Edition

[/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just purchase a second Victron. The first is on my 35 ft sailboat for the last three years. Victron has a number of high end u;it’s which can be added into the system, which talk with each other. Battery monitor, temp sensor and a home control unit. Our solar controller is also a Victron.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    I've noticed in high end motorhomes they always use either Xantrex or Magnum. So, just from that, I'd say those are good brands.

I had a Xantrex in my motorhome; the features and remote abilities seemed endless. I put a Xantrex in the 5th wheel I have now; it's a Freedom XC 2000. I suppose if I got some solar panels I'd just stick with it.

But I've noticed on this site folks favor Victron and Go Power. I think cookinwithdiesel uses Go Power - not sure tho.

I suppose any one of those is OK. I'd guess in the end it would be based on the features you want versus the functionality and cost.
    Pfft, GoPower...lol

GoPower, Victron, Magnum are all highly regarded brands. Overall, to me, Victron is hands down the winner. They are all similar cost but with Victron you get a rich ecosystem of pieces that communicate, provide web-based monitoring and management (including configuration if you enable it) and a good customer support experience (for me so far at least).

I literally have a full Victron suite, end-to-end, on my trailer. I cannot say enough good things about them.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gathering all necessary wire and fittings to install a new AIMS PICOGLF40W12V240VS 4000 W / 12000 W Peak Pure Sine Inverter Charger 12VDC 240VAC Input to 120/240 VAC Backup Power Feeds both legs on my RV
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 344GK
    B&W Companion 25,000
    Disc Brake conversion
    3 - X-Factor
    MORryde pinbox
    2007 GMC Topkick C5500 Duramax 6.6
    1 Wife 3 Scotties

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the victron multiplus 12/3000 in our rig paired with 280ah homebuilt battery. I m very happy with the setup. I don't have experience with the others you list but in my research it lead me to believe victron was probably the brand to beat I'm this market

Good luck...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast