User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Driving route help-RI to Disney

Hello all . Planning to drive from Rhode Island to Disney in February this year. Any advice on a good route avoiding big cities. Also campgrounds along the East cost route that might be open year round. I can’t really drive much at night because of my vision so I think I’ll need to break the trip up into 3 days.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCRICHRI View Post
    Hello all . Planning to drive from Rhode Island to Disney in February this year. Any advice on a good route avoiding big cities. Also campgrounds along the East cost route that might be open year round. I can’t really drive much at night because of my vision so I think I’ll need to break the trip up into 3 days.
    "Disney" as in Walt Disney World? Or Disneyland?

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably Disney World, Disneyland is still closed.

I imagine you'd be taking 95 all the way down for the most part until you get to I-4.

There are a number of campgrounds along 95 once you get to the South Carolina area. Stay AWAY from South of the Border, very shady place. Santee state park is right of 95, it's in South Carolina and a very nice place, not full hookups, but has a dump station.

We've stopped at truck stops along the way in the past when we lived in VA, they work great for overnight stops as long as you dont need to put the slides out.

Cracker Barrels are all over 95 and are friendly for RV overnight stops and provide a good option for breakfast.

I've been to Ft Wilderness a handful of times and Disney a bunch of times. If you have any specific questions related to those feel free to ask.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Probably Disney World, Disneyland is still closed.

I figured. But it sorta bugs me when people just say "Disney" when talking about WDW. Remember WDW wouldn't be possible if not for Disneyland.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    I figured. But it sorta bugs me when people just say "Disney" when talking about WDW. Remember WDW wouldn't be possible if not for Disneyland.
    Good point, although I think taking a camper to Disneyland would be an awful idea for trying to find a place to park it. On the other hand, it would be great for the cross country trip if you could find a campground within a reasonable distance from Disneyland.

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Good point, although I think taking a camper to Disneyland would be an awful idea for trying to find a place to park it. On the other hand, it would be great for the cross country trip if you could find a campground within a reasonable distance from Disneyland.

Oh, there are RV parks not far (maybe 3 miles) from the park. I've not stayed at them, but they're there.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't help with some other more north eastern states, but once you get to South Carolina / Georgia I would tell you that Coastal RV in Brunswick, GA is a nice place. A Bit further north is a place called New Green Acres RV Park near Walterboro, SC is a good stop.

If you come into FL on I-95 and then take I-4 through Orlando on your way to WDW pack your patience. I-4 is undergoing major work before, thru, and after Orlando. An alternative is I-95, FL407, FL 528, FL417 to I-4 but that has a number of tolls.

If you come into FL via I-75 & the FL Turnpike then maybe consider getting on US27 somewhere around Leesburg. The turnpike has tolls too.

People with strong constitutions and lots of nerve probably just take I-95 all the way south. I prefer to go west to I84 then take I-81 avoiding a lot of big cities.

Drive safe, watch the weather and safe travels....
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCRICHRI View Post
    I'm NW of Philadelphia and I can make Narragansett in 6 hours. That's about as long as I want to spend on a highway or behind the wheel. Finding campgrounds open above Maryland this time of year is tough although I would check the Maryland and Delaware state parks. Deaware parks are open year round on a limited basis and several are not far off Rt95.Take a look at this thread and my directions in post #6 , just follow them in reverse and it will get you below Wilmington Delaware. https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...-I-95-thru-NYC
    From here my first stop on Rt95 is Pocahontas State park in Chesterfield Va.
    I stayed once at Santee State park in South Carolina and the news reports I saw on TV the next morning gave me the hebee jebees. Also the bath houses are in horrible disrepair.
    If you want to take the scenic route along the Eastern Shore and North Carolina coast PM me and I'll fill you in. I'm leaving for Georgia late February myself
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 01-08-2021 at 02:47 PM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just drove up from the Orlando Area, as stated I-4 is under major construction, so take it slow. I -95N was fine with a few construction slow downs in SC and NC. We stayed 3 days at Creek Fire RV Resort ( Savannah), it was a great stay really loved it. We also did an over night stop at Raleigh Oaks RV Resort in Four Oaks NC. It was an OK over night stop nothing special about it. I did take 95N to 495 around Washington DC and took Rt 50 to 301 over the Bay Bridge to avoid the Baltimore tunnel. You can pick up 95 again
    at after following Rt 301 to Rt 13 in Wilmington at the Del. Mem. Bridge.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt & Shari View Post
    We just drove up from the Orlando Area, as stated I-4 is under major construction, so take it slow. I -95N was fine with a few construction slow downs in SC and NC. We stayed 3 days at Creek Fire RV Resort ( Savannah), it was a great stay really loved it. We also did an over night stop at Raleigh Oaks RV Resort in Four Oaks NC. It was an OK over night stop nothing special about it. I did take 95N to 495 around Washington DC and took Rt 50 to 301 over the Bay Bridge to avoid the Baltimore tunnel. You can pick up 95 again
    at after following Rt 301 to Rt 13 in Wilmington at the Del. Mem. Bridge.
    Thanks for the heads up! I'm leaving Saturday for Brunswick, Ga to spend the month. I'm pushing through doing it in two days this time. I have found Pocahontas State Park south of Richmond, Va. to be a nice stopping point and a nice park after the first day. The rest I'll wing until I get there.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.