Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Diesel Eater

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ Olin View Post
    Around a year ago or so on this site I was talking about the new Ford Godzilla V8. And how a super charged version could out perform any diesel out there on the market. A lot of people said I was full of it. Well, this news just in from Willis Perfromance. 1450 horse power, 1030 lbs torque. Now who is full of it? 12.51 compression pistons, block head castings & crank shaft all stock. Unbelievable the strength of this great Ford engine. Team up this engine with a set of 430 gears & a new 10 speed & wave bye-bye to the diesels on the hills. Which would be loads of fun. :>) By the way the article also stated that there is a version of the V8 called megazilla. I'm guessing either turbo'd or blown coming from the factory. Wow, its getting better & better.
    Have a nice day,
    Russ

Well, just ask an RV owner with a Ford V-10 how they like the mileage. Most are lucky to see 8, with a toad, 6 and those are generous estimates. Your 1400HP gas engine will get truly horrific mileage. Now install a powertrain and cooling system in it that will handle that power and you’ll lose a boat load of your towing capacity and reliability. Diesels are simply more fuel efficient for a couple of significant reasons. Economic sense is for each to decide, but in my mind a diesel is a must if towing anything north of 8,000 lbs and the only realistic option is a factory diesel with the millions of R&D that goes with it and a warranty and dont forget the resale value that will be there at the end of road.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hamer View Post
    There's a saying in racing that "You can go as fast as you can afford!" I think it fits here also.
    As they say, “How do you make a small fortune in racing?”

“Start out with a large fortune.”

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bertschb,
    Man you are so right about hot rodding & getting crazy #'s. The modern day diesel pickup is a testament to that.
    They just keep hot rodding them up at the factory & getting bigger #'s & more torque. So they can have the biggest dinger at the top of the hill.
    Didn't the gotta mechanic cumming's just change back to a old pump & crank out a little more torque to beat the Ford?
    Instead of maybe trying to bullet proof their engines a little more...... And bring relilability back to the diesel engines like it was years back. Nope, its just hot rod it a little bit more & sell it to the public.
    As far as the after market they can out built anything the factory puts out. Including diesel engines ect..... The 6 litre bullet proof binder engines is a example of this. Best diesel in a truck when the after market pro's got done with it. Untill the diesel engines solve their problems baby you are just playing Russian Roulette.
    In my opinion, I believe with the mandatory def system and the ridiculous MPG requirements put in place buy the California air quality management control, yes California set's the smog standard for all automobiles in America (how stupid is that). These people are environmentalist, not engineers, they have brought down the reliability and the economy of the diesel engine. My old slightly modified 7.3 has more horsepower and torque, no smog and burns alot less fuel then my 2016 6.7 Ford.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Around a year ago or so on this site I was talking about the new Ford Godzilla V8. And how a super charged version could out perform any diesel out there on the market. A lot of people said I was full of it. Well, this news just in from Willis Perfromance. 1450 horse power, 1030 lbs torque. Now who is full of it? 12.51 compression pistons, block head castings & crank shaft all stock. Unbelievable the strength of this great Ford engine. Team up this engine with a set of 430 gears & a new 10 speed & wave bye-bye to the diesels on the hills. Which would be loads of fun. :>) By the way the article also stated that there is a version of the V8 called megazilla. I'm guessing either turbo'd or blown coming from the factory. Wow, its getting better & better.
    Have a nice day,
    Russ
    At about 4 MPG i'm sure.
    The one thing about diesel, other than the torque is they still can average 10 mpg even towing a huge fiver.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a nice day,
    Russ
    I will wave bye-bye as I pass him while he is at the gas station.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    In my opinion, I believe with the mandatory def system and the ridiculous MPG requirements put in place buy the California air quality management control, yes California set's the smog standard for all automobiles in America (how stupid is that). These people are environmentalist, not engineers, they have brought down the reliability and the economy of the diesel engine. My old slightly modified 7.3 has more horsepower and torque, no smog and burns alot less fuel then my 2016 6.7 Ford.
    California sets California standards, the OEMs just design to that as they wish to sell vehicles there and are not going to design 2 different versions (CA and the rest of the country).

And CA only sets the standards, engineers then design it all and make it happen - there is a reason that despite all these terrible air quality standards trying to keep our air breathable, the trucks still perform and are reliable.

I frankly cannot understand buying an expensive truck, to then turn around and dump a bunch of cash into it both voiding the warranty, and introducing a ton of failure risk into the engine. But to each their own I guess....

Diesel is for work, gas is for play.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NASCAR9 View Post
    The 7.3 being built in the first post is for a purpose built drag race car, Brian Wolfe who used to be in charge for Ford Racing is spear heading the project and will use the motor in one of his cars. He has been doing very informative YouTube videos detailing the 7.3 gas.
    Both ProCharger and Whipple are building superchargers for the 7.3 with boost in the 5 - 8lbs range and producing pretty impressive results. I'm thinking about a Whipple for my 7.3, I don't need it but kind of want one. The Whipple is supposed to be emissions legal.

The stock 7.3 with 4.30 gears a pretty stout piece. I've had mine for over a year and the only thing I've done is have the oil changed, it's been rock solid.
    I’ve installed quite a few superchargers over the years both for customers and myself. I haven’t got my hands on a gas 7.3 yet but If I were you, I’d go with the Whipple SC over procharger. I’ve owned both and the reliability and drivability of the Whipple was much better than the procharger. You have to wind the procharger up to get boost and get in the power band but boost is right off idle with the Whipple. You have potential for more issues than stock with both systems but I’m guessing that 7.3 would be an animal with that Whipple. Unloaded mpg would probably be the same, if not better by a few mpg. Depending on the terrain and how heavy your right foot is, towing mpg would possibly be the same but probably a little worse however, you would have a big grin on your face going up hills and passing slower traffic.

I’ve been tossing around the idea of supercharging my tundra but I don’t want to accidentally make it unreliable. I’ve been there, done that.
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Double cab

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by That 1 Ron View Post
    I’ve installed quite a few superchargers over the years both for customers and myself. I haven’t got my hands on a gas 7.3 yet but If I were you, I’d go with the Whipple SC over procharger. I’ve owned both and the reliability and drivability of the Whipple was much better than the procharger. You have to wind the procharger up to get boost and get in the power band but boost is right off idle with the Whipple. You have potential for more issues than stock with both systems but I’m guessing that 7.3 would be an animal with that Whipple. Unloaded mpg would probably be the same, if not better by a few mpg. Depending on the terrain and how heavy your right foot is, towing mpg would possibly be the same but probably a little worse however, you would have a big grin on your face going up hills and passing slower traffic.

I’ve been tossing around the idea of supercharging my tundra but I don’t want to accidentally make it unreliable. I’ve been there, done that.
    Toyota use to have a factory warrantied supercharger for the Tundra that many put on the 5.7. Was a dealer installed option if memory is correct. Not sure if they still do for the newest models but the 5.7 has not changed at all so I would expect that you can still get these.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malco1 View Post
    I will wave bye-bye as I pass him while he is at the gas station.
    Not to mention:

"It should be noted, though, that these numbers were achieved by juicing the Godzilla up on VP Racing's C16 race gas, which at over $20 a gallon"
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    Toyota use to have a factory warrantied supercharger for the Tundra that many put on the 5.7. Was a dealer installed option if memory is correct. Not sure if they still do for the newest models but the 5.7 has not changed at all so I would expect that you can still get these.

Rob
    Toyota discontinued the TRD SC for the 5.7 (as well as the Tacoma/FJ 4.0) but you can still get it through Magnuson, which built them for the TRD Toyota brand, they just say Magnuson instead of TRD. They’re a good, dependable blower and kit with consistent, reliable results. We now have Harrop and Whipple offering kits for the Toyota 5.7 with bigger displacement blowers, bigger intercoolers, injectors and fuel pumps that will add more power with the right tuning. If my lottery numbers line up tonight or tomorrow, I’d probably go with the Harrop, with a strong look at the Whipple kit. I’ve driven a few SC’d Tundras and they are a completely different animal than the NA version.
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Double cab

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast