User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2018 vs 2019+ Imagine 2800BH

New member here. We're looking into purchasing an Imagine 2800BH for our first travel trailer. I have found a used 2018 that seems to be in good shape (though we're planning to get it inspected before making an offer).

When researching the unit, I found that the 2018 has a lighter UVW and GVWR than 2019 and later (5785/7495 lb vs. 6195/7995 lb). The additional 400 lb added in 2019 is making me nervous; I haven't been able to find what changed other than stronger axles. Did Grand Design add the weight to fix some fundamental structural deficiency? Is there any reason to avoid the 2018 in favor of something newer?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They did do axle upgrade and I think some of the weight was a correction to make the real numbers closer to label numbers I have the 2018 and have had very little problems you will like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 GD 2800BH
    2005 Tundra, 2010 sequoia
    Wife & 2 kids

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Callahan4 View Post
    They did do axle upgrade and I think some of the weight was a correction to make the real numbers closer to label numbers I have the 2018 and have had very little problems you will like it.

Thanks! Which of the vehicles in your signature do you tow with? We have a 2017 Expedition with the heavy duty trailer tow package. We're rated for 9300 lb towing and 1750 payload, and I've seen a lot of pushback on other forums for towing something as big as the 2800BH with that. Do you use a ProPride hitch, or does something less eye-wateringly expensive work?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just traded our 2018 2800BH for a 2021 Reflection 295RL. Only issue was a slide motor failure which I swapped myself with my sons help. The thing to look out for is flatting springs with the 2018. We never filled the fresh water tank and if we didn't upgrade, I was going to talk to the dealer/GD (we had the extended warranty). The springs were boarder line (almost flat). We had the Reese Trunnion Straight Line weight distort hitch.

Ordered a new 2021 F250 so we haven't brought the new one home yet. It's coming in late Feb (hopefully earlier not later but it's winter ).
    Mike
    2021 Reflection 295RL
    2021 Ford F-250 7.3L 4.30 rear
    B&W Companion hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have towed it with a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500, a 2006 Toyota Tundra 4.7, 2015 Toyota Sequoia 5.7, and my 2015 Chevy 3500 Srw. With the 1500 truck and the suv I always packed the camper to be level as I can. But no problems towing it. I used a cheaper weight distribution with sway bar that I got at the camper store. The cheap ones work as long as you size it right they are just loud as all get out.

2018 GD 2800BH
    2005 Tundra, 2010 sequoia
    Wife & 2 kids

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by malbert721 View Post
    Just traded our 2018 2800BH for a 2021 Reflection 295RL. Only issue was a slide motor failure which I swapped myself with my sons help. The thing to look out for is flatting springs with the 2018. We never filled the fresh water tank and if we didn't upgrade, I was going to talk to the dealer/GD (we had the extended warranty). The springs were boarder line (almost flat). We had the Reese Trunnion Straight Line weight distort hitch.

Ordered a new 2021 F250 so we haven't brought the new one home yet. It's coming in late Feb (hopefully earlier not later but it's winter ).

Sorry to thread jack but I have a 2016 3.5 Eco and looking to get a 2800BH. How did it tow? Been a concern of mine. I know its well within specs but still nervous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Short answer fine but not great. Longer answer - Zero issues pulling the trailer. My truck is rated for 10,600 towing and a payload of just over 1,550lbs. The one feeling I was getting when towing was what I will describe as a squishy feeling/being pushed around at times so I bought a tongue scale. My loaded trailer was right at 800lbs (left me about 700lbs for me, wife and dog). Searching around the forum I saw the recommendation to switch to load range E (10 ply) tires. I did that (stay with the stock size) and that cleared up that. You will lose a couple of miles a gallon since most LT 10ply tires are at least 12lbs heavier each on avaerage (14lbs in my case. Did a lot of searching). There are times when you might/could get pushed around. In the end, an F150 is roughlt 5200lbs and the 2800BH is 7500lbs and 32ft long. If you do consider load range E tires, be careful on the air pressure. My sweet spot was 40psi. My initial tow with the new tires was set to 55psi and was the scariest tow of my life at times. I reduced air pressure for the trip home but in the end I called Cooper Tires once I returned home and now leave it at 40psi.
    Mike
    2021 Reflection 295RL
    2021 Ford F-250 7.3L 4.30 rear
    B&W Companion hitch