1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210113_151506.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	31553
    See the plate with the hole in it on the left side of the hitch socket? Meant for attaching TT chains I think.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's scenario... The trailer just broke away from the the hitch. The tailgate is already gone (and the kingpin probably opened the floor of the bed like a can opener). The only thing to hope for at this point is to try not to kill somebody with the 15k plus pound unmanned vehicle on the road. The reason that you are now in this predicament is because some part of the hitch failed. Now you have to wonder what part of the hitch failed and is the breakaway cable with the truck or the part that stayed with the trailer.

I connect mine to a cargo cleat in the bed.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone ever personally known of a 5er hitch to come out of the bed of a truck. Not a " I know a guy who knew a guy who heard that it happened to his second cousins nephew" kind of thing. I have never even heard of it happening. I have a B&W companion hitch that is basically hooked like a gooseneck. Even if I hooked the breakway to the bed hooks, if the hitch came out it would have to take that part of the bed with it and the breakaway would still be attached to the chain hook.
    2019 29rs
    2007 Ram diesel, 4x4 long bed
    CDL with tanker, hazmat, emergency vehicle, and bus endorsements

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lorend View Post
    Has anyone ever personally known of a 5er hitch to come out of the bed of a truck. Not a " I know a guy who knew a guy who heard that it happened to his second cousins nephew" kind of thing. I have never even heard of it happening. I have a B&W companion hitch that is basically hooked like a gooseneck. Even if I hooked the breakway to the bed hooks, if the hitch came out it would have to take that part of the bed with it and the breakaway would still be attached to the chain hook.
    I don't personally know many people anyway, but this came up on YouTube immediately after my last post here. I don't know how to post a link, but search YouTube for:

"2020, 9-05 5th wheel hitch failure"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On youtube search “2020, 09-05 5th wheel hitch failure”. Pretty disturbing video. I also saw an Anderson ultimate hitch failure video some time back, but I’ve since cleared my history..

Quote Originally Posted by lorend View Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Subject says it all.

I connect mine to the lock I put on the hitch that keeps folks from "accidentally" pulling the pin that lets you disengage the king pin latch.

Where do you folks with 5th wheel RVs connect yours?
    I put a caribener(sp) on the bed rail then fasten the brake pin to it. Easy to get to and less likely to have a catastrophic failure and the rail come out of the bed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kevin & Deb. 2021 Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 Ford F-350 Diesel SRW Platinum
    Kevin and Deb. 50ST8R
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 Ford F-350 SRW 4x4 Diesel Platinum Edition

[/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Reese Goosebox pulling a 29RS FW. Original equipment breakaway wire was uncoiled straight wire version. I attach it to the left rear cleat on the bed. It got tangled up in the safety chains during a low speed right turn and pulled out of the switch locking the bakes. Dealer said they would not change anything for me (legal issue), but I might change to a coiled version, which I did. This keeps it off the bed floor. I really like the idea of running it to the front of the bed as shown in the first photo above as opposed to clipping it to the rear cleat.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really looking to stir up an old post, but I did find this one informative - and I've got my own thoughts to add.

I searched this topic out because I've recently had one too many situations where my brake cable, connected to a cargo tie-down point in the bed, got stretched and pulled out during the middle of a tight maneuver. Backing into a tight spot can be stressful enough, at times, even without having the brakes lock up in the middle of it all. I'm using a Demco autoslide hitch, which is awesome for letting me cut hard into tight spots, sometimes to nearly 90-deg. However, if the cut is going the wrong way, the brake switch on the hitch swings away from the tie down point, stretching the cable and pulling the pin.

I'd prefer not to lengthen the cable, as I figure you want the brakes to actuate as quickly as possible. Instead, I'm thinking of moving the attachment closer to the pin and vehicle centerline, maybe on the lower frame of the hitch. There are lots of ways a hitch could potentially fail - and I know that some of those could affect the brakes tripping in certain scenarios, depending on where I attach - but I think it seems a reasonable compromise.

Anybody else have this problem? Any thoughts on this approach?
    2018 GD Reflection 337RLS
    2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.6L Duramax - aka "Doug"
    Full-timing since Nov 2018
    https://thegreatmoldescape.com/

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are there any documented cases of 5th wheel hitch failure?
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by unclejoey_vt View Post
    Not really looking to stir up an old post, but I did find this one informative - and I've got my own thoughts to add.

I searched this topic out because I've recently had one too many situations where my brake cable, connected to a cargo tie-down point in the bed, got stretched and pulled out during the middle of a tight maneuver. Backing into a tight spot can be stressful enough, at times, even without having the brakes lock up in the middle of it all. I'm using a Demco autoslide hitch, which is awesome for letting me cut hard into tight spots, sometimes to nearly 90-deg. However, if the cut is going the wrong way, the brake switch on the hitch swings away from the tie down point, stretching the cable and pulling the pin.

I'd prefer not to lengthen the cable, as I figure you want the brakes to actuate as quickly as possible. Instead, I'm thinking of moving the attachment closer to the pin and vehicle centerline, maybe on the lower frame of the hitch. There are lots of ways a hitch could potentially fail - and I know that some of those could affect the brakes tripping in certain scenarios, depending on where I attach - but I think it seems a reasonable compromise.

Anybody else have this problem? Any thoughts on this approach?
    Some people attach the breakaway cable to the hitch. On a bumper pull, I do this, on the 5er, I purchased a tiedown point that clips to the underside of the bed rail since I have a Retrax bed cover. Works beautifully!

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0002MBB...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast