User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Extreme View Post
    Good questions!
    On the TV signal if there is no signal we would be watching a DVD movie instead.
    Boondocking would be between driving sites while going to a full hookup site.
    3500 Predator looks like the hot tip for us too.
    I guess what it boils down to is this....while I'm working over the next few months its easier to make the upgrades to the trailer before retirement.
    The dollars it take to upgrade is much easier now than later.
    That's why I ask all these questions.
    Based on your questions and the newness of your RVing, I would suggest you forego any Solar Installation and/or Inverter upgrade being done by the Dealer, because, once you figure out how little Solar the Dealer can/will install versus what you may actually need in the future, you will be paying twice for the system. Consult with a good RV Solar Installer when you learn how you are going to be using your coach.

I would highly recommend installing at least 1 100 amp hour Lithium Battery (better if you install two).

If you are only going to be boondocking between campsites, you also won't need to buy a generator (especially if you have 2 Lithium Batteries).

PS: when it comes time to get a generator, I recommend the Dual Fuel Champion 3500 and only run it on Propane. This way you don't need to carry around any extra fuel, you already have Propane in your camper.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our 2017 Imagine didn't come with any 12V or USB outlets so I added a few. The 12V outlet powers the XM radio or a 180W PSW inverter. With the TV and a Blue Ray player the inverter draws 3.5A.
    I have 2 lead acid golf cart batteries and a stand-alone, deck mount converter to charge them with my 15 year old Honda 2000 generator. The factory WFCO is a lousy charger for getting a fast charge off a generator. And the generator will run everything I need (one at a time) except the A/C.
    I also have 200W of portable solar panels. Since many of our favorite sites are shaded a roof mounted system wouldn't work.
    To me, the cost of even one LiPO is hard to justify. I'd need to upgrade my converter and solar controller, and the trucks charging system voltage is too low for a full charge on a LiPo.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Generator advantage is you have power when you need it and can recharge whatever battery you need. Disadvantage is you need to run it to watch tv, make coffee, or use an outlets. I have the duel fuel 3500 mentioned. It has a 30 amp plug and can run the entire rig including ac which was a must when leaving dogs in the rig when at football games. I cost the same as a honda 2000 and not much louder. Some national park campgrounds only allow them to run 8-8 or for 4 hours a day.

First fall with it I bought a small inverter that I would hook to the battery and we would watch tv outside when tailgating in order to not run the generator but with the lead acid battery it would run out at night just from the furnace and i would have to go start the generator.

I just installed an inverter and two lithium lions energy batteries a few weeks ago. An expensive upgrade but will let us run half the rig off of battery, everything but ac, fireplace, and hot water heater. It will allow the fridge to run off of ac between stops. I do not like the idea of driving with the fridge running on gas. We will be trying this out over the next few months to see just how long the battery gives us based on what we do. I plan to test the power usage of each thing and just be able to make informed decisions and should be able to do trips with no generator depending on where we are going and what we are doing.

You may be able to invert just one set of outlets (gfci) and go with one lithium and a smaller inverter. Step one is see what things on the breaker control what. My tv was on the fireplace breaker and i had to swap it to the gfci line which was relatively simple. I thought of just doing the gfci but knew i wanted the fridge and microwave if I could get them.
    Imagine 2020 2670MK,
    2021 RAM 2500

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So i bought a Imagine XLS 22MLE and installed the factory Solitude Solar Package. I also upgraded to (3) Group 31 AGM deep cycle batteries. (3) 125 Ahr = 325 A-hrs. We function well without AC and Microwave for 5 days without sun. With sun, we are power independent. Limiting factor is Grey water tank and fresh water tank. Have not trained wife well enough to go beyond 5 days of water conservancy. She is better but not enough. If budget was not limiting I would pick LiPho batteries and 2 that do 225 A Hrs for my home. Much lighter but way more expensive. Love the Solitude Solar package. ~ $2000 but gives 2000 watt inverter and alot of power in the sun. good luck..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    The host will advertise if it allows or not gen and if there's a silent hire. They don't all do but most. Its common to see gen allowed till 10pm.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    There may be Harvest Hosts that allow it but in my two years of camping at Harvest Hosts I have never been there where another camper was running a generator. We get very sad when at a beautiful quiet location with room for one or two rigs and someone needs to run a generator. If you are boondocking on BLM land somewhere without neighbors its seems perfect. I have a generator and solar. I have not started the generator once. It's brand new but I'm not sure if it even works. Solar has met all our needs. I know that is not financially possible for everyone of course. We have 500 Watts of panels and 2 LiOn batteries. We watch TV at least 3 to 5 hours a day. About the only thing we need to be careful with is the Microwave. That thing will drain a battery fast. Also if we have a lot of cloudy days in a row we will get low but never had the batteries turn off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use a Jackery portable power station. https://www.jackery.com/

Easily get 2 to 3 hours of tv time. Recharge it when running the generator during the day or the dc outlet in the truck

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to rving!! My suggestion is to ease into this to make sure rving is what you want and is something you are going to do for a long time. Since you r getting a free battery with the trailer i would have them add another battery so you have two lead acid batteries. Since u r spending so much money for the rv they should be willing to give you another battery. Next i would get a small solar generator such as a rockpals 300 w generator to run your tv when boondocking. I have one and it works great and easy to charge with a 100 watt solar panel or you can use a gas generator. I have the 22 MLE and we boondock for a month in the summer in Montana and Idaho. I have two interstate lead acid batteries and keep them and the solar generator charged the whole time with 2 - Renogy 100W Eclipse Lightweight Solar Suitcase models. One for the trailer battery and one for the solar generator. When i need the microwave or the wife wants to use a hairdryer or curling iron, toaster or whatever, then i use a Honda eu 2000i gas generator. However, there r cheaper options for generators such as the harbor freight predator. Make sure they do pure sign wave for your electronics, tv etc. The solar panels are very light and easy to store. Price use to be under $200 each but i saw them on ebay for $269 each which you should be able to beat by searching around. Youll need a controller for the trailer about $30, some connectors for your solar port on the trailer and the panels plus wire which will all be around $60.

If you are fairly frugal and watch your power usage this set up will work. I keep the trailer batteries charged easily with the 100w solar panel and recharge the solar generator each day for tv viewing at night. We watch the tv for 3 hours at night with plenty of power left in the solar generator. So if you want to go cheap until you are sure this rving lifestyle is for you, this will work without spending thousands for a installed setup by the trailer dealer. If you want the best then get the battleborne lithium batteries, and at least 2000 w inverter, a good controller of about 30 amps and about 500 watts or more of solar panels. I would still have a gas generator for backup. Good luck!!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    12 volt TV. We replaced the TV with one we had. From our last camper. It is a Jensen marine TV. I’ve seen 12 volt TVs at Walmart even. We still use a generator when we use other 110 volt appliances, but I would hate to run a generator for hours just to watch TV. ,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we don't have 120AC and want to watch TV we use an iPad. Its pretty cool for us, TV becomes an event instead of just something on. You have to (or get to) snuggle to watch. We load movies/shows before we leave, so they are available. We have lots of nights with no OTA signal and a few now and then with no cell service either.

We converted to LiFePo last year and more solar this year. It is spendy, so figure out if its worth it first. You may realize you like having full electric. For example, we don't boondock in the south in the summer. I like it cool at night. We solve that by going north or up.

We could (usually) go 2 days off the 75 AH lead acid battery that came with the rig, and went a week with sunshine and a 100W briefcase solar. But I killed that battery more than once. The indicator on the control panel is not the best. I figured out the 12 volt lights would flicker first. That turned into the best indicator of imminent darkness for me.
    Steve & Sheryl
    Bucca and Nyx RIP-Tag and Gordon
    2019 Imagine 2250RK
    Ford F250

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Extreme View Post
    So I have 2 questions and would appreciate any help you can give me because I'm SOOOOO new it hurts.

FIRST QUESTION
    Which would be better for just starting out in the RV world of traveling.
    I'm getting a 2021 2600rb and the wife an I are really excited about hitting the open road.
    Now the trailer comes with ONE acid battery so what are your thoughts if I instead replace it with either:
    (1) Lithium 12v battery or (2) two deep cycle 6v batteries or (3) One AGM 12v battery?

SECOND QUESTION
    Since my wife and I enjoy watching TV 3-5 hours at night.
    What would be the least expensive way to achieve that WHILE dry camping/boondocking.
    I don't want to buy an expensive solar system just to watch TV at night while camping.
    Inverter Generator? Personal Power Bank? 300 watt pure sine wade power inverter car adapter (plugs into your rigs).

Thanks again.
    I am in favor of two 6v golf cart batteries. Six volt batteries are usually more robust than 12v batteries and provide slightly more amp hours. I think that will be the cheapest alternative. I also boondock between camp grounds, but usually only one night. Nothing beats a generator especially if you need to run the air conditioner. We carry a Champion 3400W with a remote control. We boondock mostly at Walmart's or truck stops so running the generator is no problem.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast