Thread: Imagine 2250RK

Seasoned Camper more tired since retired's Avatar
    southern Georgia, where gnats rule the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckskin View Post
    We own a 2018 2250RK and love it. The truck you are looking for should handle it just find; I even think the ecoboost 2.7 would work and your are looking for 3.5 which is even better. I would go with 3.5 and make sure it has tow package mainly to keep transmission from over heating. We have 2012 Tundra with 5.7 L engine and it is a pulling machine with the 4.30 rear end far better than most half ton trucks out there and a lot of 2500 gas burners; it has tow package.
    Had several issues but GD sent me parts and I repaired myself, camper has never been back to dealership since we owned it. I do all service work myself, main item is to inspect and repack wheel bearings ever year. One thing I would look for is Goodyear Endurance Tires made in USA. I was planning on replacing CHINA BOMB Westlake tires this year but had blow out on last camping trip in December; replaced all 5 tires with Goodyear Tires(spare also). Have Tire Tracker tire monitoring system and pulled over as soon as alarm went off; very lucky only damage was plastic fender skirt. I also check tire pressure and lug nut torques before every trip.
    The only modifications I made was to add some coat hanging hooks to both sides of bed, one in bathroom and one by door in kitchen - Walmart had some that matched trim in camper. Added battery motion detect lights to all indoor compartments and they really help.
    You will love 2250RK; just make sure if it has CHINA BOMBs to replace them ASAP or your looking for camper damage when one blows.

Any tire which isn't maintained can blow out. Tires need to be checked cold, prior to being moved. I've had trailers which come with tires you couldn't find same company replacements if you wanted to. I've put Goodyear Marathons on a Fleetwood Pioneer, Goodyear Endurance on a 2016 Jayco replacing the tires that came with each trailer. And I put TPMS on each tire. TPMS saved us when an Endurance took a screw on an Interstate.

If the tires are correct for the weight of the trailer (with a reasonable safety factor), in good condition, pressures correct when cold, and you use TPMS, it doesn't really matter what tire you have. You would be surprised the major tire companies sell foreign made trailer tires.

The China Tire story continues even though there are stories out there that keep getting repeated. Yes, Chinese made tires have had issues, but so have tires made in other locations including the US. I had an Endurance tire that had a bead separation which Goodyear replaced. The cause, not being able to avoid a pothole on I-80 in Illinois. I've run the same Interstate with the Westlakes on our Imagine without an issue.

Tires are items which have to be watched. You will not 60,000 miles out of them. My understanding is roughly 10-12000 miles and/or 4-5 years is the average life of a trailer tire. All tires are going to wear out, either by mileage or time (due to weathering, sun damage, etc), so make sure pressure is where it is supposed to be, the tires are in good shape and you have TPMS. Avoid hitting potholes, curbs, etc and just be smart.
    2020 F-250 XLT SuperCrew 7.3L Blue Ox SwayPro, 2020 Imagine 2600RB,
    1600W Solar w/525AH LiFePO4, Victron 3000W, Road Armor w/wet bolt suspension, VisionWork Camera System, Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G Mobile Router,MicroAir EasyStart
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ FMCA#489460 Escapees SKP#166379

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckskin View Post
    We own a 2018 2250RK and love it. The truck you are looking for should handle it just find; I even think the ecoboost 2.7 would work and your are looking for 3.5 which is even better. I would go with 3.5 and make sure it has tow package mainly to keep transmission from over heating. We have 2012 Tundra with 5.7 L engine and it is a pulling machine with the 4.30 rear end far better than most half ton trucks out there and a lot of 2500 gas burners; it has tow package.
    Had several issues but GD sent me parts and I repaired myself, camper has never been back to dealership since we owned it. I do all service work myself, main item is to inspect and repack wheel bearings ever year. One thing I would look for is Goodyear Endurance Tires made in USA. I was planning on replacing CHINA BOMB Westlake tires this year but had blow out on last camping trip in December; replaced all 5 tires with Goodyear Tires(spare also). Have Tire Tracker tire monitoring system and pulled over as soon as alarm went off; very lucky only damage was plastic fender skirt. I also check tire pressure and lug nut torques before every trip.
    The only modifications I made was to add some coat hanging hooks to both sides of bed, one in bathroom and one by door in kitchen - Walmart had some that matched trim in camper. Added battery motion detect lights to all indoor compartments and they really help.
    You will love 2250RK; just make sure if it has CHINA BOMBs to replace them ASAP or your looking for camper damage when one blows.
    Thanks for info. I never thought about tires! I will definitely make that part of my walk around inspections. What are you using for weight distribution hitch? I'm seeing prices anywhere from $300 to $3,000. When I was pulling my Honda CRV I used the Blue-OX product which I had no issues with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2250rk and towing with 2018 F150 supercrew 4WD with max tow package and Blue Ox. Tows well, but still a little mushy with stock tires. Looking forward to getting LT tires with stiffer side walls. I really like having the 36 gallon tank. Typically getting between 11 and 13 mpg when towing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the info. What motor is in your F-150?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthshake View Post
    We have a 2250rk and towing with 2018 F150 supercrew 4WD with max tow package and Blue Ox. Tows well, but still a little mushy with stock tires. Looking forward to getting LT tires with stiffer side walls. I really like having the 36 gallon tank. Typically getting between 11 and 13 mpg when towing.
    thanks for the info. What engine is in your F-150?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For all those that swear by China Bombs; I have a limited camper database. My self and my camping buddy. We are both fanatic's about checking tire pressure before each trip along with several others items. Well my 2 person database both had camper damage due to China Bombs; I was the lucky one and only had to replace fender skirt; he had to replace 2 rims and other minor damage because when one tire failed the steel belt damaged other tire. That is when we both got tire monitoring system. So my 2 person database says China Bombs are bad. He bought new GD Reflection and it came with China bombs, he replaced them with USA Goodyear Endurance tires. I think Reflections now come with Goodyear tires but his was built before they started using them and dealer wouldn't switch them out for Goodyear so he bought them himself.

Keep in mind what runs along bottom of camper near tires, in my case it is a propane gas line. Was lucky when I had tire blow it didn't cut gas line. As preventive measure I took aluminum flashing from Home Depot and installed it about tires; it prevented black fabric material from being damaged when China bomb blew - you can see witness marks on flashing. If I had not have done this the black material would have been ripped from wooden sub floor.
    Last edited by Buckskin; 01-12-2021 at 03:35 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sightseer View Post
    thanks for the info. What engine is in your F-150?
    3.5L ecoboost

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I came from a 35' Tiffin to a Pickup and a TT. I tow with Nissan Titan, in the Colorado/Utah mountains a lot. I had an APEX 245BHS and almost bought the 2250RK. The lack of a real dinette swayed me to the Apex. Six months after the GD 22MLE came out and I fell in love with it, and just upgraded. You should look at it. It has both the theater seats and the Dinette. It has great storage and is about 500lbs lighter in UVM and GVWR. My Titan has decent Payload at around 1900lbs and plenty of power. I think the F150 you are looking would be fine unless you travel really heavy. To me towing around 3/4 of your tow rating and under your max payload is about the limit I like for extended travel. The 2250RK and 22MLE are both probably in the limit but not by a bunch.
    https://www.granddesignrv.com/showro...oorplans/22mle

I did 10k miles in my class A towing a CRV in one year and 6k miles on the Apex in 14 months. I had a Centerline TS hitch (noisy and somewhat hard to hookup) which worked really well but I sold it with the Apex. I just bought RAS for the Titan and a Blue OX Swaypro Hitch. Overkill but it will be a dream to drive, especially down steep passes at highway speeds. Considering Lippert Road Armor for the trailer. I prefer the truck trailer combination.
    Dan, Ponderosa Park, CO
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE (SOLD)
    2023 Hiker Mid Range Deluxe 5x9 (Due Oct 2023)
    2018 Nissan Titan Crew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We love ours

Our typical trips are 10 days to 2 weeks. In 2019 we travelled for 6 plus weeks on one trip. Its perfect for long trips.

Fully loaded we run about 6800 lbs, tongue weight about 800 lbs. We did the big trip with a 2012 V8 F150 with a 8200 lb tow rating. It did just fine, even crossing the Rockies. The shocks needed replacing at about 60K miles. I expected 75-80 based on previous trucks. I assume it was the trailer, but no big deal. The 3.5 Eco is supposed to be even better. But my belief is 7000 lbs and 30ft are maximums for a half ton, so in 2020 I moved up to an F250.

The trailer had a bent rear axle. The repair shop thought it had been strapped to a shipping trailer and ratcheted down. I know it was shipped twice between dealers after the initial delivery from GD. We blew out a couple tires on the road before we figured it out. GD didn't even blink with respect to warranty. They offered to replace the axles and fix the damaged skirt. When I said I wanted to upgrade to larger axles and would pay the difference, they went ahead and did it on their own dime. We can't imagine not owning an Imagine. After this adventure I strongly recommend tire pressure monitors, and I look at tread wear all the time.

Inside, the oven is too small, we don't use it. We have a convection toaster oven, regular toaster, instapot, Keurig, french press, and food processor stored on the bottom shelves of the pantry. [in plastic tubs with no lids]. That pretty much solves all the cooking needs. I mounted slideout drawers (from the container store) in the top half of the pantry. I put an elko rack (also from the container store) in the cabinet to the left of the sink. In the 2019 model it was completely open.

If we can't sit outside, we eat on trays stored in the console to the right of the sofa. The table is useless and gone.

Lots of other tweaks, but nothing else seems unique to this model. Upgrading is half the fun of ownership

Steve
    Steve & Sheryl
    Bucca and Nyx RIP-Tag and Gordon
    2019 Imagine 2250RK
    Ford F250

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We bought a 2018 2250rk in January 2020 right before all hell broke loose. We were still able to get 2 week long vacations in. Lake Tahoe and pismo beach. The biggest selling point for us was the large shower. We looked for a long time and finally settled on the 2250rk. In our two trips we didn’t have any issues. We tow with 2015 f150 4x4, 3.5 ecoboost. I put air bags on truck. Don’t know that I really needed to but I did anyways.
    We have 2, 14 day trips planned for southern Utah national parks and Oregon. So far we love the trailer. Lots of good info from others that have posted and I appreciate that

Ron & Debbie Richards
    Sonora Ca

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast