Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Imagine 2250RK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imagine 2250RK

Good afternoon,

I sold my Class C Navion IQ several months ago with the intention of getting a TT under 30' for 2 people. I'm looking at the Grand Design Imagine 2250RK.
    Would love to hear from actual owners of the Grand Design Imagine product for first hand experiences. Good, Bad or Ugly!
    I plan to buy a gently used 2018' or 19' F-150 XLT 4x4 with the 3.5 Eco-boost w/tow package to pull it.
    Although I have never owned or pulled a TT, I have pulled a tow vehicle behind the class C which I assume is not even remotely the same as pulling a 28' 6,000lb box.

thanks,
    Larry
    Last edited by Sightseer; 01-09-2021 at 12:22 PM.

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum, Larry.

I've not owned an Imagine TT, so can't speak to that. I can tell you that, fully loaded, the 2250RK will put about 975 lbs. on the hitch (the advertised hitch weights are empty/dry without any options). Subtract that, plus the weight of passengers, "stuff," and 100 lbs. for a weight distributing hitch, and it will be more about the Heavy-Duty Payload Package (HDPP) on the F150 than the tow package and tow ratings. Half-ton trucks are not long on payload. Here's a handy tool:

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-tt.shtml

If you use the search function on the forum (far right on the top blue bar), you'll find lots of posts about the Imagine line - and probably several on the 2250RK.

Good luck,

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sightseer View Post
    Good afternoon,

I sold my Class C Navion IQ several months ago with the intention of getting a TT under 30' for 2 people. I'm looking at the Grand Design Imagine 2250RK.
    Would love to hear from actual owners of the Grand Design Imagine product for first hand experiences. Good, Bad or Ugly!
    I plan to buy a gently used 2018' or 19' F-150 XLT 4x4 with the 3.5 Eco-boost w/tow package to pull it.
    Although I have never owned or pulled a TT, I have pulled a tow vehicle behind the class C which I assume is not even remotely the same as pulling a 28' 6,000lb box.

thanks,
    Larry
    Biggest failure can be in the hitch. My 1/2 ton GMC pulls our 2400 BH effortlessly
    I actually noticed our smaller single axle Jayco behind the truck more because of the increased porpoising in the single axle
    I have used Equalizer hitches but this time went with the Centreline and first tow of 1300 km was perfect

I do like the weigh safe hitch as well. Expensive but definitely top stuff imo

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew 1840 payload
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out my setup. It is perfect for two people (and our 4 legged family member).
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sightseer View Post
    Good afternoon,

thanks,
    Larry
    We have a 2019 2250RK and the only real bad or ugly is the oven is too small to use for anything. The oven is only 3" from the rack to the top. We overcome this by buying a 7 in one air frier, dehydrater, oven, ect It's never had to have any work/repairs done... yet. We love the floor plan and it's perfect for a couple who traves for a week or two at a time. I wouldn't want to live in it fill time though. The tanks are a good size and we can go 4 to 5 days even with both of us showering everyday (short military showers).

I would think any truck with a least a 1500lbs payload should be fine. I tow with a 2015 GMC 1500/Z71/ crew cab using a EAZ-Lift recuve 6 hitch. My truck has a 1730lbs payload but also has a lift and 35" tires that removes almost 300lbs of capacity. If we take 2 bikes, 2kayaks, 2 2k generators and have the fresh water tank full we are 140lbs over payload but that is very seldom we take everything and need water. Typically we have 700lbs of tongue weight and the trailer weighs in at 6k.

Hopefully that is some info you are looking for let me know if you have any particular questions.
    2021 Reflection 340RDS
    2022 Ram 3500 Big Horn/CCSB//4X4/SRW/HEMI/4:10
    2019 Imagine 2250RK~Sold

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We own a 2018 2250RK and love it. The truck you are looking for should handle it just find; I even think the ecoboost 2.7 would work and your are looking for 3.5 which is even better. I would go with 3.5 and make sure it has tow package mainly to keep transmission from over heating. We have 2012 Tundra with 5.7 L engine and it is a pulling machine with the 4.30 rear end far better than most half ton trucks out there and a lot of 2500 gas burners; it has tow package.
    Had several issues but GD sent me parts and I repaired myself, camper has never been back to dealership since we owned it. I do all service work myself, main item is to inspect and repack wheel bearings ever year. One thing I would look for is Goodyear Endurance Tires made in USA. I was planning on replacing CHINA BOMB Westlake tires this year but had blow out on last camping trip in December; replaced all 5 tires with Goodyear Tires(spare also). Have Tire Tracker tire monitoring system and pulled over as soon as alarm went off; very lucky only damage was plastic fender skirt. I also check tire pressure and lug nut torques before every trip.
    The only modifications I made was to add some coat hanging hooks to both sides of bed, one in bathroom and one by door in kitchen - Walmart had some that matched trim in camper. Added battery motion detect lights to all indoor compartments and they really help.
    You will love 2250RK; just make sure if it has CHINA BOMBs to replace them ASAP or your looking for camper damage when one blows.
    Last edited by Buckskin; 01-10-2021 at 05:16 AM.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckskin View Post
    We own a 2018 2250RK and love it. The truck you are looking for should handle it just find; I even think the ecoboost 2.7 would work and your are looking for 3.5 which is even better. I would go with 3.5 and make sure it has tow package mainly to keep transmission from over heating. We have 2012 Tundra with 5.7 L engine and it is a pulling machine with the 4.30 rear end far better than most half ton trucks out there and a lot of 2500 gas burners; it has tow package.
    Had several issues but GD sent me parts and I repaired myself, camper has never been back to dealership since we owned it. I do all service work myself, main item is to inspect and repack wheel bearings ever year. One thing I would look for is Goodyear Endurance Tires made in USA. I was planning on replacing CHINA BOMB Westlake tires this year but had blow out on last camping trip in December; replaced all 5 tires with Goodyear Tires(spare also). Have Tire Tracker tire monitoring system and pulled over as soon as alarm went off; very lucky only damage was plastic fender skirt. I also check tire pressure and lug nut torques before every trip.
    The only modifications I made was to add some coat hanging hooks to both sides of bed, one in bathroom and one by door in kitchen - Walmart had some that matched trim in camper. Added battery motion detect lights to all indoor compartments and they really help.
    You will love 2250RK; just make sure if it has CHINA BOMBs to replace them ASAP or your looking for camper damage when one blows.
    Does capitalizing “China bomb” have some significance?

Asking for a friend

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to emphasize the need to switch them out before you have camper damage.

RecPro RV Tandem Fender Skirt from Amazon for those that need to replace fender skirt - perfect match, even screw holes lined up.

B08KWHBFRV
    Last edited by Buckskin; 01-10-2021 at 07:34 AM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you're looking for a F150 be sure it has the Max Tow package and 36 gallon fuel tank. Factory tow mirrors and "LT" or "E" rated tires would be a bonus.
    The HDPP (Heavy Duty Payload Package) is a rare bird. It was only available on some trim / cab configurations. Along with a heavier frame it also had the rear end from a F250, different steering ratio, and heavier rear spring shackles among other things.
    My steel body first gen 3.5 never lacked for power and switching to "E" tires made a big handling improvement. But I was overweight on the gross and rear axle. Rather than spec out a new F150 I made the move to a F250.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckskin View Post
    Just to emphasize the need to switch them out before you have camper damage.

RecPro RV Tandem Fender Skirt from Amazon for those that need to replace fender skirt - perfect match, even screw holes lined up.

B08KWHBFRV
    Well since there are thousands out there and very few stories I think I will stick with the odds and wear them down since I own them

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast