Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black water gush with closed tank

Hello,

When the Black water tank is closed, and I open the outlet, a gush of black water comes out.
    And obviously, there is no hose connected yet so it spills all over the ground -- yuk!

What is causing this problem? And how can I solve it?
    Thanks!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like the black water slide valve is not closed all the way, perhaps some debris stuck, or it may need replacement/ repair.

Some minor leakage is normal. Thus the reason we empty black water first, close, then open grey water tanks last, then close.
    A gush is not normal.
    2021 310GK-R - MorRyde suspension and pin box. Sumo Springs. Solar, 7k axles.
    2019 Lance 1062 Truck Camper, 2 slides.
    2021 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 6.7 diesel, 10 speed auto, 3.55 diff-48 gallon fuel capacity
    2000 F350 XLT HD SRW 2WD 7.3L diesel, 6-speed manual trans, 3.73 diff - Firestone Airbags-Bilstein Shocks. 82 gallon fuel capacity

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Master IceMan View Post
    Hello,

When the Black water tank is closed, and I open the outlet, a gush of black water comes out.
    And obviously, there is no hose connected yet so it spills all over the ground -- yuk!

What is causing this problem? And how can I solve it?
    Thanks!
    The Black Tank valve is leaking. Either the seal is bad or there something blocking it from sealing. Some people are attaching a valve between the line and cap just to prevent this surprise. https://www.campingworld.com/twist-o...1&gclsrc=3p.ds
    2020 Chevy Crew Cab RST
    2020 Transend 30RBS

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It isnt necessarily leaking. If you see how the tanks are plumbed, there is no pitch on the header where all the tanks connect (above the coroplast). After you've dumped your tanks and then move the RV, the residual fluid in the header is what comes out of the outlet. This is why many of us use the twist on gate valve. Sure, it's possible the black valve is leaking, but with the amount of people that have this issue, I doubt all of those valves are leaking. I even replaced my black valves and tested them to be leak free. I still had that extra fluid after I've moved the RV after dumping.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And obviously, there is no hose connected yet so it spills all over the ground -- yuk! What is causing this problem? And how can I solve it?
    Thanks!
    Depends what you mean by "gush". Others have jumped to the assumption that your tank valve has failed, but if your "gush" is up to about a half-gallon or so and then it stops you more likely have a problem that appears too frequently on Grand Design trailers, which is NOT a problem with the tank valve.

Many GD trailers have black and gray tanks dumping into a manifold, a pipe fixture with several inputs and one output to the dump outlet. Due to bad design and/or sloppy manufacturing, that manifold frequently does not drain completely when dumping. When the trailer is taken on the road the various movements cause trapped sewage to finally make its way to the dump outlet, where it waits to thrill you the next time you remove the cap.

Nobody has reported a "solution" to this problem - some have reported that the design makes it very difficult to cut and re-plumb the drain pipes to make them drain better. Therefore the most common remedy is to put a gate valve on the dump outlet, so you can remove the cap and connect a hose before releasing whatever is trapped in the dump pipe.

This is the valve most often used; it simply twists onto the dump outlet:

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-...1P1F8QFR106C6J

Unfortunately, as you'll probably see it's not in stock. It's been hard to get for months on Amazon, likely due to an explosion in RV sales. You might get lucky and find one in an RV parts store elsewhere.

Good luck.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to everyone for chiming in; it's awesome to have this Forum!
    I'll get one of those Valve Gates -- when it's back in stock -- and see if that can control this flawed design.
    If not, then perhaps there is a leak that needs to be checked out.
    Thanks again!

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post

Unfortunately, as you'll probably see it's not in stock. It's been hard to get for months on Amazon, likely due to an explosion in RV sales. You might get lucky and find one in an RV parts store elsewhere.

Good luck.
    They might be back in stock. I ordered 2 last week in preparation for taking delivery of our 311 for $35/each and they were delivered yesterday.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did not have EXPERIENCE this problem, but saw the discussion and knew how much fun it would be. Installed the gate valve and have had no outflow experience. Better safe than sorry. It does stick out a tad past the side of our 3000qb but figure it is not a big issue.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to everyone for chiming in; it's awesome to have this Forum!
    I'll get one of those Valve Gates -- when it's back in stock -- and see if that can control this flawed design.
    If not, then perhaps there is a leak that needs to be checked out.
    Thanks again!
    I had the same problem. That valve will solve the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghdorn View Post
    I did not have EXPERIENCE this problem, but saw the discussion and knew how much fun it would be. Installed the gate valve and have had no outflow experience. Better safe than sorry. It does stick out a tad past the side of our 3000qb but figure it is not a big issue.
    Mine sticks out a little bit on my 2600rb. If another vehicle got close enough to take it off we'd probably have a much bigger issue then just the valve. In campgrounds I never get the trailer close enough to anything to worry about it.
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    2021 337rls w/ Andersen hitch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That Valterra valve was the first thing that got installed on our new 31MB. Read too many stories about the residual waste surprise when uncapping the dump pipe.

I couldn't find anything reasonably priced on Amazon or ebay, so I ordered from Walmart.

Etrailer has them in stock as well.
    Last edited by thunder550; 01-11-2021 at 07:08 AM.
    2021 Reflection 31MB
    Reese Goose Box 20k
    2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, CCSB 4x4, LBZ Duramax
    B&W Turnover Ball with 4" offset

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast