User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZMike View Post
    Funny that I came across this thread now. The brakes on my 2600RB have been very grabby from when I picked it up, meaning I could not do the initial setup properly with my brake controller. The brakes would lock up no matter how I set the initial voltage on the controller. This controller has worked fine on the other two trailers that I've recently owned. I took it in for some warranty work this month and told them about my issue, and that I felt pretty strongly that the brakes needed to be adjusted. Well, lo and behold, when I picked it up, they told me that the brakes were fine, that I needed to adjust or replace my brake controller. Do you know how they check them? They pull the breakaway switch and if all of the magnets energize then the brakes are fine! Well, I was a brake mechanic in a prior life (when disc brakes were in their infancy) and I know when drum brakes need adjustment. So, here I am, at my campsite, having just completed a brake adjustment on all four wheels, and I could not believe (or maybe I could) how far out of adjustment they were. I'm pretty sure that they were not adjusted since Dexter built the axles. Why can't service people actually listen to customer's problems? There were other issues that I can rant about, but this one was pretty important.
    I take it your brake controller was just fine.

I too have replaced and adjusted brakes on many pre disk brake vehicles. Prior to disk brakes becoming prevalent, almost all drum brakes on vehicles were self adjusting and actually worked very well. Non-self adjusting drum brakes disappeared on American made vehicles in the mid 1960s. So todays RVs with non self adusting drum brakes can be considered “vintage” technology.

On a previous thread regarding dealer PDIs vs the PDI performed by GD, a dealer service rep replied that they “checked the brakes” and that it was a PA state inspection requirement. Pulling the breakaway switch is clearly not a proper verification of brake operation.

I started this thread hoping that folks would get their dealer to properly adjust their brakes prior to initial delivery.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewwi View Post
    Were they self adjusting like your dealer said?
    They are but as you probably know those adjusters are only meant for incremental movement to take up slack as the shoes wear. I did a LOT of adjusting before I felt the shoes on the drums. RE PA state inspection that would only be done before delivery if I bought the trailer and registered it in my state, I bought it in Delaware. In the days of drum brakes on motor vehicles inspection was required bi-annually. It used to be they needed to pull two drums on opposite sides to measure shoe thickness. Adjusting the drums was a courtesy done by the repair shops. My inspection reports now show results for shoe measurement on two wheels.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had new axles/brakes installed in the fall. The old brakes worked well at 7-7.5 gain after I ran separate separate 14ga wire for the curb side, highly recommended. Well I hooked up to the trailer with these brand new axles and brakes and gain was still set at 7.5. No brakes! Adjusted to 10, like very little if anything, I could idle and not be stopped. Adjusted them myself and hit the highway. Went about 70 miles, still felt weak so I tightened them more at a rest stop. Went another 70 miles and touched the brakes, burned my fingers. They worked at this point, but were super hot. I backed them off and they are fine now.

Lesson learned, it does take a couple hundred miles for them to seat, most of the time this is done during delivery for new units. If you replace them expect to have very little braking until they seat.

2018 F-250 6.7L Leveled, 35’s.
    2019 Imagine 2500RL, 640w Solar, Lion UT1300s, 3000w Inverter
    CRE3000, Sumosprings

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    They are but as you probably know those adjusters are only meant for incremental movement to take up slack as the shoes wear. I did a LOT of adjusting before I felt the shoes on the drums.
    Sounds like your brakes were never adjusted properly initially by GD and the dealer did no better when you took it back to them.

One has to wonder about the 271+ point PDI by GD and the dealers PDI. Seems proper brake operation should be somewhat high on that list.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip94ta View Post
    I had new axles/brakes installed in the fall. The old brakes worked well at 7-7.5 gain after I ran separate separate 14ga wire for the curb side, highly recommended. Well I hooked up to the trailer with these brand new axles and brakes and gain was still set at 7.5. No brakes! Adjusted to 10, like very little if anything, I could idle and not be stopped. Adjusted them myself and hit the highway. Went about 70 miles, still felt weak so I tightened them more at a rest stop. Went another 70 miles and touched the brakes, burned my fingers. They worked at this point, but were super hot. I backed them off and they are fine now.

Lesson learned, it does take a couple hundred miles for them to seat, most of the time this is done during delivery for new units. If you replace them expect to have very little braking until they seat.
    If properly adjusted initially after axl/brake replacement you should have had adequate braking. They may need adjustment after “seating in” but having no RV brakes for up to 200 miles is just not acceptable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12