User Tag List

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    I'm no expert but using the 7 pin will not cause alt. issues with lithium's. They are able to be charged quickly with high amperage but they don't require it and wont pull it out of the alt. If the alternator tried to push anywhere near max amps though the 7 pin, it would melt down the wiring in the truck long before it ever hurt the alt. Now if you bypassed the stock system and ran a heavy gauge wire from the alternator to the batteries without something to regulate the charge I could definitely see a potential issue.

My 2017 GMC has been running with lithium's on the stock charging system for 4 years without issue.
    Thank you so much! I asked Battle Horn the same question & they gave me the same answer as you.
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Silverado 3500HD DRW
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes
    Solar System. 8 100 AH Lithium batteries, 12 200 watt panels, Victron 3000 watt inverter, Smart Shunt, Cerbo, & 2 MPPT Charger/Controllers
    Travel 6 months each year

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USA in a Chevrolet View Post
    I’m going to ask you a question based on the info in your post. With my 2020 Chevy 3500 can I safely use lithium batteries in my fifth wheel without damaging the truck alternator? I am having 4 200 watt solar panels installed but my concern is I have read that vehicle alternators will be destroyed by the high draw the alternator is using to charge the lithium batteries through the seven way trailer connection. The dealer installing the system says a LIBIM is not needed to protect the alternator as the truck alternator is protected by the low output though the seven way cord. What is your opinion. Thanks
    Ray,

It looks like your question has been answered by both Battle Born and others. I would only add that the 2018 Ford seems to be current limited to protect the truck. I expect experts like Battle Born are good sources and your 2020 Chevy is current protected as well.

Brian
    Brian & Shea+ Zeke & Roxy GSP’s
    2018 GD Reflection 303RLS 800w solar 400ah LiFePO4
    Sold 2018 Ford F-250 CCSB Lariat gas 2,980# payload
    2024 Ford F-350 4x4 CCSB Lariat diesel 4,000# payload

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m going to ask you a question based on the info in your post. With my 2020 Chevy 3500 can I safely use lithium batteries in my fifth wheel without damaging the truck alternator? I am having 4 200 watt solar panels installed but my concern is I have read that vehicle alternators will be destroyed by the high draw the alternator is using to charge the lithium batteries through the seven way trailer connection. The dealer installing the system says a LIBIM is not needed to protect the alternator as the truck alternator is protected by the low output though the seven way cord. What is your opinion. Thanks
    You are in pretty much the same situation as I. Because of conflicting advice, and the fact that an alternater failure on a trip would be a big pain, I decided to pull the fuse so my truck cannot charge the batteries. With 400 amps of battleborns and 1020 watts of solar, I do not need the alternater to charge the batteries.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    You are in pretty much the same situation as I. Because of conflicting advice, and the fact that an alternater failure on a trip would be a big pain, I decided to pull the fuse so my truck cannot charge the batteries. With 400 amps of battleborns and 1020 watts of solar, I do not need the alternater to charge the batteries.
    Since my post I have talked to the installer who is putting in my system & to Battle Born. Both say it’s not necessary to do anything as the wire size on the truck charging circuit is so small that the alternator cannot be damaged. The dealer is a very large company & I feel if they thought there was any possibility of legal liability they would want to install a BIM. In addition the salesman there said it was not necessary. When was the last time you heard of a salesman who passed on the opportunity to make a higher commission?
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Silverado 3500HD DRW
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes
    Solar System. 8 100 AH Lithium batteries, 12 200 watt panels, Victron 3000 watt inverter, Smart Shunt, Cerbo, & 2 MPPT Charger/Controllers
    Travel 6 months each year

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since my post I have talked to the installer who is putting in my system & to Battle Born. Both say it’s not necessary to do anything as the wire size on the truck charging circuit is so small that the alternator cannot be damaged. The dealer is a very large company & I feel if they thought there was any possibility of legal liability they would want to install a BIM. In addition the salesman there said it was not necessary. When was the last time you heard of a salesman who passed on the opportunity to make a higher commission?
    I hear ya... But my camping takes me far off the beaten path and phone service.... So why chance it? The solar will put way more amps to the batteries anyways, and I rarely tow at night, so there is pretty much zero benefit of using the alternater.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678