User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LanerC View Post
    Do you mean the solar charge controller had to be replaced or just the setting on your existing controller had to have the settings adjusted to lithium by the user?
    Just the settings - it has settings for flooded, AGM, and lithium.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fsalmy View Post
    Our on-order 378 will have factory solar and we think, a generator. I plan on expanding the factory solar panel to 600W total. We also have a 200W portable solar suitcase to chase the sun. I have 4 Crown 6V 260 ah batteries that we will also likely exchange for 2 or 3 LiFePo batteries at some point soon. Given the solar and gen setup, does it make sense to just go ahead and change out WFCO converter and factory inverter for something like the Victron Multiplus 3000?
    We love our Victron Multiplex 3000/12/120 inverter charger. Great power charging the batteries . No worries about exceeding wattage within reason. Seemless switchover from AC to DC. Great Bluetooth.

Well worth the expense
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am certainly no expert on the subject, but I have been doing a lot of reading on the subject. You will need a battery isolation module or a dc-dc charger or both?. The lithium batteries can draw much more current than your tow vehicles alternator and wiring can supply. On Battle Borns website they have several drawings with references to these devices.
    Please consult with someone more knowledgeable than I before connecting your lithium equipped rig to your tow vehicle.
    Sorry if this has been addressed in a previous post and I just missed it
    Lee

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by No-ladder View Post
    I am certainly no expert on the subject, but I have been doing a lot of reading on the subject. You will need a battery isolation module or a dc-dc charger or both?. The lithium batteries can draw much more current than your tow vehicles alternator and wiring can supply. On Battle Borns website they have several drawings with references to these devices.
    Please consult with someone more knowledgeable than I before connecting your lithium equipped rig to your tow vehicle.
    Sorry if this has been addressed in a previous post and I just missed it
    Lee
    I'm in the same boat as you in reading up so I can swap to LiFePo4's after delivery of our unit. I found this on the BB website in reference to battery isolation / alternator charging: "Before discussing this topic please note that when connecting to a towable trailer (such as by a 7-pin connector), you typically get a low amount of charge into your lithium (aux) battery bank and an isolator or current regulating device is usually not necessary."
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bruto I found this tidbit of info on Battle Borns site:
    "DC to DC or battery to battery chargers are a great way to charge your Battle Born Batteries using your vehicle’s alternator and starting battery. These devices provide a quick and smart charge with the added benefit of isolating the chassis and coach batteries when not in use.

These devices are typically used in conjunction with one to two Battle Born Batteries as they reduce the charging current under the recommended charge rate. Check out the Sterling Power line of DC to DC charges we offer here. "
    If you look at the bundles offered on the Battle Born website for towables, or motorhomes...neither include dc-dc charger.

When I look at schematic like the ones on "explorist.life" which has many great tutorials, drawings parts list etc. Whenever there is an alternator involved he has a dc-dc charger. I don't know the correct answer.
    Lee

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by No-ladder View Post
    When I look at schematic like the ones on "explorist.life" which has many great tutorials, drawings parts list etc. Whenever there is an alternator involved he has a dc-dc charger.
    He has the DC to DC charger shown because it's an excellent way to charge batteries while driving as it provides far more amperage than the truck alone. And unlike solar, it provides a charge whether the sun shines or not.

I had two Lion Energy UT1300 LiFePO4 batteries in my RV before I replaced them with two of the new BattleBorn BBGC3 270ah LiFePO4 batteries as part of my factory solar replacement project I recently finished. None of my wiring melted while I was driving.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123