User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outbackwack View Post
    I replaced my Westlakes with Goodyear Endurance and it was a great move. The ride is noticeably better since I run them at 10 psi less now. $400 for peace of mind when driving around $80,000 worth of stuff was a no-brainer for me.
    Where did you find them for $100 each?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungy View Post
    Where did you find them for $100 each?
    I paid $114 each for 5 of them (spare) shipped through Amazon for 225-75-15 and installed free at Lazydays Tucson
    Howard & Ellen

2018 RAM Rebel Hemi 27700 miles
    2018 Imagine 2600RB 10704 miles
    Equal-i-zer 14,000 hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Txfivver, the expected life of a travel trailer tire is 5 years of use regardless of the mileage. On my previous tt I replaced them on the 4th year. Discount Tire has good deals on tires. Good luck.
    Thanks,
    JB in South Texas
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    2010 Ford Expedition

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    Haha guess I'm busted now! As usual you all always have great advice and you are correct @JCR GD it really would lower my stress level during the trip. It would be nice to just set the cruise on 65, turn on the massaging seat and let er rip for 1200 miles. I do think I'll just go ahead and replace them before I go. I've put off installing the Nichols valve stems so I can use the Ford TPMS I ordered with the truck last year so I get 2 birds with 1 stone haha. Brian you are so right, I would be mad at myself if I didn't and something happened. I will probably post the Westlakes in the for sale section here for cheap. They're perfect for someone with a horse or cattle trailer etc.
    In reference to the Ford OEM TPMS system. I had the Dealer test my TPMS because I had a low pressure situation on one tire and the TPMS never alerted me. Turns out, the Ford TPMS only alerts if the tire pressure is 20 lbs low, in the Chevy Volt I had it alerted at 3-5 lbs. I decided that a TPMS which only alerted me at 20 lbs low, wasn't worth having on a trailer.

Consequently, I have decided to use a third-party TPMS for the 4 trailer tires.

Just something to consider...
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check into USA made Goodyear tires. You cannot beat their quality - they also have some made in China, be careful. USA made is always better for tires; you may pay more but not having one blow on trip makes trip more pleasurable. Had Westlake mfg week 42, 2017, 205/75/15, blow on last trip Dec 2020 and replaced all tires including spare with Goodyear Endurance tires made in USA when I got to campground in FL.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Blanco View Post
    Txfivver, the expected life of a travel trailer tire is 5 years of use regardless of the mileage. On my previous tt I replaced them on the 4th year. Discount Tire has good deals on tires. Good luck.
    Thanks,
    JB in South Texas
    I 2nd the first part of this comment. Trailer tires are not like regular tires. Just because they look good, or are low mileage doesn’t mean you keep them rolling. I had G rated on my 2017 Sol 379 and never had a problem with them. I too replaced at the 4th year and replaced with G rated Westlakes again. Purchased from etrailer for a great price, making sure the date stamp on them was the most recent possible. I’ve put quite a few long trips on them and still no problems at all.
    2017 Solitude 379 FLS
    2017 Ford F350 SRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    Ok I'd love to hear from the more experienced veterans on here. My Solitude is 2.5 years old and has been towed about 5K miles including the delivery trip to the dealer. It is always stored inside and I monitor tire pressures religiously, the Westlake G rated tires look brand new. The date codes are 1018 on three and 0318 on the fourth one. I'm am towing it from San Antonio to Ft Wilderness in April and allowing myself 3 days travel time to get there. I have no cushion for a blowout or related damage as family is flying in the morning after I get there so I have to be there. I plan on putting Sailuns on it this year but just debating if I should get one more trip out of the Westlakes, this will be the farthest I've ever towed it. Thoughts and advice is very much appreciated as always.
    I would worry more about your battery keeping your refrigerator running than your 14 ply, G rated Westlake tires. You have a big rig but not nearly as heavy as the Momentum's that have 25% more steel in their frames to handle their cargo. If you have kept the tires out of the sun, UV damage is minimum and I wouldn't hesitate making the trip. Personally, I am a Hercules fan. I became one when I had a Goodyear blowout between Casper and Douglas on my previous TT. The tire shop I pulled into was servicing all of the support vehicles that ran the coal and oil fields North of the city. They replaced my Goodyear tires with Hercules tires and I never looked back. When my Westlake tires wear out in another 10,000 miles, I'm replacing my E-rated, 10 ply tires with F-rated 12 ply Hercules tires.

On your way to Florida, checkout Cajun Palms RV Resort, 1055 N Barn Rd, Breaux Bridge, LA. Nice park, easy off/on from I-10.
    Last edited by wjpatter; 01-16-2021 at 04:53 PM.
    Bill & Marsha
    2020 Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 2500HD Silverado 4x4
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A94047CC-DD12-48CD-9AE0-84CAD0A73921.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	31612Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2A8E3E18-B579-493A-9873-E5532AE6B2C1.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	31613I just did a major refit on my Momentum 351m. New 8000# Dexter axels. 8000# comfort ride slipper springs and shocks, disco brakes, oil bath hubs so while I was at it I upgraded the wheels and tires to 17.5” with Sailun 16 ply h range 235/75 17.5. The date codes are 4120 never had tires that new of any make. $168 a piece and free shipping. I monitor them with a TST temp/pressure monitor. I had a Thor fifth wheel years back that had exploding d range tires from the factory. Everytime one exploded it took fenders, plumbing etc. with it. I replaced the Orem tires the e range tires on the road so was limited to what the tire shop had. The next summer the same thing happened to the e range tires when it was 115 degrees in Bakersfield, Ca. I never weighed that trailer but suspect it weighed more than the sticker said. All tires were aired up properly I think cheap tires, heat and weight combined did them in. It was a bunkhouse model so no toys in the garage and not a lot packed in the trailer. Needless to say I’m gun shy with tires. My current 351m is a toyhauler and I haul a Rzr in the garage. It doesn’t have much CCC and loaded with water the springs didn’t have much arch left in the. I dont haul the water very far but the Rzr goes on long rides and with everything for boondocking the weight adds up. I plan to weigh each tire and use the Sailun chart to set the tire pressures. The Sailun tires are built super strong and thick. The tire shop was not happy with me as the tire machine they had wouldn’t work to mount the tires, they had to do it by hand. I haven’t heard any horror stories about the g range Westlake tires and I haven’t had any issues in 2 years having them but the construction of the Sailun tires is night and day better than the Westlakes so is the weight. The Sailun is all steel construction and not just the tread the sidewalks are steel also. They are listed as a commercial truck tire for all positions or for trailer applications.
    2019 Momentum 351m. 1200 watts solar, Victron Inverter/charger, Battery monitor, 150/100 solar charge controller, 3 170 ah Renogy LIPO batteries. 2017 Ram 3500 SRW SB wireless 1 airbags. Reese Gooseball, B&W turnover ball.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2019 solitude with the same “G” rated tires as you have and they to are 2018 vintage. Approx 6-7k miles on them. We just making a 250 mile quick holiday trip to visit family. Pre-inspection complete and air checks on all tires, complete! I’m good for this one last short trip on the Westlakes and then Sailun S637 on this spring. Made it ~100-110 miles into the trip and just had pulled back into right lane from passing 18-wheeler and had a tread separation and then blowout on passenger side. Luckily there was a parking lot to pull into so I can change tire. And yes, shirting damage!
    New Sailuns on all five rims before heading home 3-days later.
    Plus a side note: if you (or any new Rv buyers) get talked into purchasing the “Road Hazard” tire and rim guarantee/warranty, don’t. We (I) didn’t know it before signing all of the paperwork and getting our neat GD-Solitude carrying case, but Lionshead already has a 5-year warranty on their rims & tires. It doesn’t cover road hazard though. As for the additional policy we purchased for “road hazard”, it you don’t have a 2x4 or rebar jammed through it, you’ll be denied. Sorry for the ramble!
    As for your question, if you are questioning your OEM tires, replace them now. Your mind will be at ease on your next short trip and on your long up coming summer trip.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Run them out, the G rated Westlake is a good tire. Mine have over 25,000 miles and still have good tread, but I will be replacing them this year with more Westlakes.
    If you are hitting curbs or driving 75 all the time, dont check them often, then all bets are off and frankly, no tire brand is gonna help you
    Last edited by Tim2542; 01-16-2021 at 09:13 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast