User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rack on back of Solitude

I'm looking for advice on putting a rack, that can be a total weight of 500lbs, rack and cargo, on the back of my 2018 Solitude 384GK. This is my first RV with slides. I'm a bit concerned that this may affect the slide alignment. Any advice would be appreciated.

TheZone

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you talking about using the receiver that comes on the back of the trailer or welding something to the frame? The receiver is a no-go as it's only rated for 300 lbs. Welding to the frame may affect your frame warranty - but others have done it. Personally, I wouldn't want an extra 500 lbs. subjected to the G-forces on the back of my Solitude.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put a platform on the back of my Reflection that I think would easily hold 500 pounds. I used 2" square section of square 1/4" tube stock in the hitch receiver.
    On the ends, I used 1/4" rectangular tube stock and bolted them to the existing hitch mounting bolts on either side.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1028.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	31528

Name:	IMG_1029.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	31529

I made sure to drill the holes in the rectangular tube stock so that the top edges aligned with the center bar. I then bolted a diamond plate pan to that and installed a tool box on top of that.

Name:	IMG_1031.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	31530

Name:	IMG_1120.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	31531

Did not need to weld to the frame, but I did have to get longer bolts on the hitch mount to go through the tube stock. Any local metal shop can fabricate all the supplies and then you can install.

DAN
    2016 Reflection 323BHS
    2006 5.9L Ram Megacab

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW - Welcome to the site.
    2016 Reflection 323BHS
    2006 5.9L Ram Megacab

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thank you for your replies. First, I plan on either welding or bolting a platform to the frame. Dan have you had any issues with your slides? How heavy was your platform before your tool box? The tool box I plan on attaching to the the platform will will be removable and put in the truck bed when I'm not towing the trailer. It is 90 pounds. The second object I will be putting on the rack are 12 wooden plates for the support legs and levelers 106 lbs. I did an in depth weighing of all objects on the coach and made a C of G program which according, to the CAT scales, is accurate. I do a C of G before each move. Ex helicopter guy so it's now ingrained I guess. Rob, what sort of G forces are you talking about?

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheZone View Post
    ...Rob, what sort of G forces are you talking about?
    As a former sailor and fixed wing pilot, I'm into the weight and balance stuff, too. The suspension system on the RV (1800's technology, BTW) is in the center of the trailer, more or less, making it the fulcrum for the lever. The tow vehicle is sprung and dampened much better than the trailer and is relatively stable in comparison. Each time the trailer suspension with its 3.5" of travel hits a pothole or a bump, the back of the trailer moves disproportionately in relation to the front. There's a lot of acceleration/deceleration vertically back there - so much so that many manufacturers of bicycle racks won't approve their bike racks for use on RVs. Anyway, as a pilot you know that these types of forces multiply the weight of the mass back there. If your setup is designed and installed properly, you'll likely be OK. There are a lot of documented cases of things on the backs of RVs breaking (metal fatigue) and being dragged down the road when things weren't done properly. I saw it happen last year - oops! - in 2019 myself on I-10 in New Mexico.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob that will give me something to think about when I calculate the material to use.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob is correct on things getting a bit rough on the back. Especially true of trailers, fifth wheels less so. You just have to be careful on what you put back there. I mainly use the box on the back of my fiver to carry my generators, wood blocks, sewer attachments, and tools.

I do not know the exact weight, but it is pretty minimal. Basically the weight of tube steel and the aluminum pan, maybe 20 - 30 lbs. Tool box is also pretty light, thin aluminum construction.

I don't think you need to worry at all about the slides. I have not had any issues with this at all.

DAN
    2016 Reflection 323BHS
    2006 5.9L Ram Megacab

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Name:	trailer rack.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	31544 This is what I did

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TwoElkHounds (Dan) and [email protected] I apologize if I'm wrong but I assume it is Richard. You each have part of the design I was looking at. I do not have a trailer hitch on my solitude so it is necessary to attach directly to the frame as Dan has done, but the type of platform I was planning to use is more like Richard has designed. I will have my nephew (engineer type) design it and based on what rob stated will use between 3 to 5 G loading capacity. Dan and Richard, I have the same question, how long has the hitch been on your rig and have you had any problems with either the rack but more importantly the slides. I do approximately 6-8000 miles a year with my rig and some roads are entertaining.

Ed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast