Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Air Bags Firestone or Air Lift?

I am thinking of fitting air bag Helpers to our new F450 and would like to know if any one has them and which make, the Ford dealer is saying the Air Lift make is good so any help would be nice.
    how would you say it has helped you when towing and do they have any downside?
    Tony & Hilary Self
    2014 Momentum 385TH #290
    2015 Ford F450 with B&W Companion ,Transfer Flow 57 G Midship and 40 G Toolbox tanks
    Extra load springs

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For my F250, I use the Air Lift 5000 with onboard compressor.
    I had a leak at a T-connection; just tightened it and it is fine.

I had a slight sag when hitched or carrying a 2K lb load.
    Pump in 35-40 lbs of air and I'm level again.

I am happy with them.

K
    Ken & Wilma
    Central Maryland
    2014 Reflection 337RLS #439
    2011 F250 CC 4x4

Site Team
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Hi Tony,
    I have used the Airlift 5000's twice now. Once with my Tundra, and now with my Ram 3500. The Ram rides level without the use of the bags, but with the bags, the chucking has been greatly reduced. It also keeps the truck's natural rake better. I'm a believer. I ran the air lines to the back of the truck under the tailgate, and that is convenient to take my bike pump and pump them up with. I am going to put a compressor on the truck soon (more for the air horn that I want), but for now the bike pump works great.
    Ct..
    Chris Tretta
    Albuquerque, NM

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4 6.7L Cummins
    2019 Grand Design 385GK
    2014 Grand Design 369RL - Sold
    Class A CDL, Doubles/Triples, Hazmat and Tanker endorsements

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I have the Firestone Ride-Rite air bags with an on-board compressor. Works great but I can't imagine why you would need them on a 450! What's the purpose of that big of a truck? Heck, I can't see the purpose on a 1 ton.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Airlift 5000 Ultimate with the jounce bumper inside. Also their Wireless One on board compressor.
    I chose Airlift over Firestone because I liked the way the Airlift bags go under the frame rather than how the Firestone ones bolt to the side. I have also heard that the Firestone system has to be disconnected if lifting the truck by the frame. I can't confirm this, but there is no such restriction with the Airlift system.

I would echo Poppy's question . . . why would you need these on an F450 ?
    I put them on my F150 (much smaller 5th of course) and have ended up hardly needing them.
    No squat with the Reflection 303 but I run them at 30 psi which raises the back end of the truck 1/2" and cushions the ride.

No downside to having them even if you don't use them . . . that I can see.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    I have the Airlift 5000 Ultimate with the jounce bumper inside. Also their Wireless One on board compressor.
    I chose Airlift over Firestone because I liked the way the Airlift bags go under the frame rather than how the Firestone ones bolt to the side. I have also heard that the Firestone system has to be disconnected if lifting the truck by the frame. I can't confirm this, but there is no such restriction with the Airlift system.

I would echo Poppy's question . . . why would you need these on an F450 ?
    I put them on my F150 (much smaller 5th of course) and have ended up hardly needing them.
    No squat with the Reflection 303 but I run them at 30 psi which raises the back end of the truck 1/2" and cushions the ride.

No downside to having them even if you don't use them . . . that I can see.

Rob
    Hi Rob (Love the photo of the Pets, its a hard life)
    We carry a lot in our 385TH and have not had the new F450 out for a trip yet but moved the RV from one space to another and the truck did dip more than I would like!
    So for the cost of $1000 I think it would be a good bit of kit to have, what was the cost of yours as we would get the full kit as well?
    Do you empty the air when not towing?

Thanks
    Tony
    Tony & Hilary Self
    2014 Momentum 385TH #290
    2015 Ford F450 with B&W Companion ,Transfer Flow 57 G Midship and 40 G Toolbox tanks
    Extra load springs

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Tony,

I did my own installation and paid about $850 Cdn for the hardware which would have been about $700 US at the time.
    The hardware is good quality . . . the wiring harness to hook it all together left a little to be desired . . . I basically built a new one. $1000 for the parts sounds a little high, but a really good "installed" price.

I dial the pressure back to minimal (10 psi) when not towing, to soften the ride. The beauty of the on board compressor, is that you can try different pressures towing or not towing, at the press of a button.

And yes . . . our critters lead a pretty good life !

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also use the load lifter 5000 with the wireless sir one system... It works great! I think the load lifter 5000 uses Goodyear air bags?? They look more durable than the firestones.

My two cents

PC

Steve and Lynne
    I went with the Air Lift 5000 system with the on board compressor, as stated before these bags have internal jounce bumpers so even if you lose all the air in the system it will not hurt the bags. Here's my take on the "I have a heavy vehicle, more than my fifth wheel needs, so why go with air bags?" The air bag is a very progressive spring in itself. It adds a gradual dampening effect before the 1 ton and up leaf spring system engages the overload leaf, which is quite a jolt. Also the air lift system can restore the rear ride height where the leveling keeps the headlights out of the trees and also keeps the alignment angles where the manufacturer or owner wants them to be. See vehicles in our signature. JMHO!

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the AIr Ride 5000's on my 2003 F250. When we hooked up to our 323BHS last week, I forgot to pump'em up. My truck and trailer rode pretty level with 2K lbs. on the hitch.

My truck rides great with the 5000's with just a few pounds of pressure. I can feel the front end suspension a little better when the rear end is slightly stiffer.

We really don't tow that often to where the air compressor would be worth the investment. I think I paid about $250 total for my setup on Amazon.com.

The only complaint was putting together each air bag assembly prior to mounting the bags on the axle and to the frame. Air Ride's instructions were like reading a foreign language. Only way I figured them out was by seeing a video on UTube.com.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast