User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Factory solar worth anything?

I'm making arrangements to get a 247BH. This will be our second TT, the last was a Jayco X213. We almost exclusively dry camp, and the Jayco had two 12V lead acid batteries. Probably nothing special, just the ones it came with. We really just used them for lighting, occasional furnace, and charging cell phones. Never had a problem with capacity.

So anyway, I see this new trailer comes with a 165W panel installed. Only one 12V battery stock, though, right? I've got some questions...

1. How useful is 165W? Will it meaningfully charge the battery? We're in Oregon, so I expect solar is just so-so even in ideal circumstances.
    2. How easy is it to mount up another identical panel? Or is that not a good approach, and I should chuck the stock panel?
    3. I was thinking of at least one, maybe two lithium batteries. One should be kinda equivalent to 1.5 lead acid batteries, yes?
    4. What kind of system do you have, how big, how much battery, and what kinds of things can you run (and for how long)?

It's not a terribly expensive trailer, so I don't want to dump a serious amount of money into it. But I wouldn't mind having a little more capability than just running some lights, and a little peace of mind that I won't find myself completely out of power. I mean, I usually bring our champion 2000W generator just in case, but still...

I'm going to surf around and see what people recommend, but if you can think of anything in particular that a Transcend Xplor TT really needs, in particular this model, that would be really great to know. We have most of the accessories we bought for the last RV, so off the top of my head I don't *need* anything for this one except a new mattress, and more battery capacity since I already know a single 12V is no bueno.

Thank you!

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Transcend Xplor is now using the solar as a standard because they also run a 12 volt compressor driven refer.

Yes, it will easily maintain the battery. You can hook up a second, identical solar panel to what is already there.

The system is capable of being switched to lithium batteries as well.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the information. I'm learning more as I go, this helps plenty. Seems like the lithium batteries (Battle Born, but also others) are specifically designed with an integrated BMS so they can be drop-in replacements for lead acid. Sounds easy enough. It also seems like the factory charge controller is maybe just barely (and not quite, really) adequate for two panels. GD's web page for this particular trailer also says the wiring is MC4, but on another page it says not on the Xplor. Not a big deal, I guess, as long as the wire gauge is sufficient, the connectors can be dealt with.

I couldn't find enough about the particular panel to see about getting another identical one. Looks like it's bolted to the roof. Does it make any kind of sense to get one of the flex panels and then sikaflex it to the roof rather than more screws through the membrane?

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rootusrootus View Post
    Thanks for the information. I'm learning more as I go, this helps plenty. Seems like the lithium batteries (Battle Born, but also others) are specifically designed with an integrated BMS so they can be drop-in replacements for lead acid. Sounds easy enough. It also seems like the factory charge controller is maybe just barely (and not quite, really) adequate for two panels. GD's web page for this particular trailer also says the wiring is MC4, but on another page it says not on the Xplor. Not a big deal, I guess, as long as the wire gauge is sufficient, the connectors can be dealt with.

I couldn't find enough about the particular panel to see about getting another identical one. Looks like it's bolted to the roof. Does it make any kind of sense to get one of the flex panels and then sikaflex it to the roof rather than more screws through the membrane?
    I think they want you to use the identical panel from Furrion, as it was designed.

https://furrion.com/collections/sola...lar-panel-150w
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, 500 bucks to buy it retail, I bet you're right, they want customers to buy the Furrion panel to upgrade. For that price Furrion probably gives the original panels to GD for practically zero .

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, 500 bucks to buy it retail, I bet you're right, they want customers to buy the Furrion panel to upgrade. For that price Furrion probably gives the original panels to GD for practically zero .
    Just to give some perspective on Solar Panel pricing: Our 305 watt panels were $207 each. Our entire 4 panel, 1220 watt system only cost $828. I think you can do even better with today's pricing.

I find it useful when comparing panel prices to look at the Cents per Watt cost, for example: my panels cost $0.69 per Watt, the $500 Furion panel costs $3.03 per Watt.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    Just to give some perspective on Solar Panel pricing: Our 305 watt panels were $207 each. Our entire 4 panel, 1220 watt system only cost $828. I think you can do even better with today's pricing.

I find it useful when comparing panel prices to look at the Cents per Watt cost, for example: my panels cost $0.69 per Watt, the $500 Furion panel costs $3.03 per Watt.
    I am new to solar. I just upgraded my factory 300 watt system, adding a couple of AIMS 120 watt panels. They were much cheaper..... BUT, they are not anywhere near as stout. Is the extra strength necessary? I honestly do not know. But one can easily see the difference.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We switched at the last moment to ordering a 261BH instead of the 247BH, but I think it's basically identical when it comes to solar. So my understanding is that the circuit panel is in the bedroom, the converter is right behind it in the kitchen cabinet. I haven't found any good pictures, but it looks like there is some kind of box installed in the storage area up front where the water connection is. Is that the solar charger? Anybody know specifically what model it is?

I wonder how the wiring is laid out, do the batteries go through the storage area before connecting to anywhere else? I.e. if you put a couple really expensive lithium batteries, could you put them in the storage area instead of on the tongue? No need for them to be outside if they're not lead acid.

Edit: Found the information I was looking for, here are a couple useful threads from another GD owners forum. Someone with a 265BH provided the model numbers from their solar equipment. Here are the model numbers:

Furrion Net-Zero Solar Charge Controller FSCC30PW-BL
    Furrion Net-Zero 165W Rigid Solar Panel Model FSFP16MW-BL

So the controller isn't half bad, actually. And yes, it is in the cargo compartment. Also, it's compatible with lithium batteries, which is nice. Not compatible with FLA batteries, which makes me wonder what kind of battery GD puts on the trailer at the factory.
    Last edited by rootusrootus; 01-14-2021 at 07:02 PM.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    makes me wonder what kind of battery GD puts on the trailer at the factory.

None. They don't ship with batteries.

The Furrion charge controller is a MPPT 25A model. It has 3 settings, AGM, Sealed lead acid, and Lithium.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20210115_082932.jpg  
    Last edited by huntr70; 01-15-2021 at 06:35 AM.
    [email protected]
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is better than the jaboni controller used in the optional package on the bigger trailers it looks like. You will get better performance value building a system yourself of course.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast