User Tag List

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    What I see is it is all dependent on the production process or lack thereof. Not unlike what Boeing experienced in the DreamLiner.
    Those were "Lithium Ion" batteries in the Dreamliner, not LiFePO4. Again, different chemistry.
    Last edited by bertschb; 01-12-2021 at 09:14 PM.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These 280Ah cells are popular with the DIY solar folks. If my home-made 200Ah lifepo4 pack wasn't working so well (about 2 years old, and cost about $800 then) I'd go that route. Probably 2 sets of 4 and 2 BMSes (one each set of 4) for redundancy. I'm using a 125A DALY BMS now and it works fine but does not have a low temp cutoff (batteries are inside the trailer, so not too worried).
    https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...4e7a43518PyX5z

If you're comfortable building a pack, I encourage anyone to do so. It's actually quite easy.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthMuffin View Post
    These 280Ah cells are popular with the DIY solar folks. If my home-made 200Ah lifepo4 pack wasn't working so well (about 2 years old, and cost about $800 then) I'd go that route. Probably 2 sets of 4 and 2 BMSes (one each set of 4) for redundancy. I'm using a 125A DALY BMS now and it works fine but does not have a low temp cutoff (batteries are inside the trailer, so not too worried).
    https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...4e7a43518PyX5z

If you're comfortable building a pack, I encourage anyone to do so. It's actually quite easy.
    Yes, 280 ah Prismatic LiFePo4 cells are popular cells for use in DIY Battery projects. However, I am not sure going the DIY Route, building your own battery pack, could compete with the $271 per 100ah cost I found in my research. Besides, I am not sure at $271 per 100ah it would be worth the effort of building your own battery when this battery is available already assembled.

I also felt including a DIY battery project would skew the results of my research, I was looking for "Drop-in" replacements that could be compared (apples to apples) to the Battle Born Batteries.

PS: I also did not include my own experience using the Tesla, Model S battery modules. I wanted to focus on the "Drop-in" battery options that would be available to most of the readers on this forum.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disassembly of each, Battle Born and "Cheap Litium Batteries" is the only certain way to show that there probably isn't much difference in the battery composition and architecture itself. The big concern is the Battery Monitoring System incorporated and the casing (packaging) of the battery. The Battle Born is well engineered and proven, the main reason they can offer a generous warranty period. There are others like Lion Energy or Renogy. This isn't a promotion but a caution to look beyond.
    I could have easily gotten locally sourced LiFePO4 batteries assembled at a discount to the Lion Energy batteries I have.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I consider Life Blue batteries the "Gold Standard" not Battle Born. They also have Bluetooth capabilities.
    http://www.lifebluebattery.com/home/

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    Disassembly of each, Battle Born and "Cheap Litium Batteries" is the only certain way to show that there probably isn't much difference in the battery composition and architecture itself.
    Actually, there is, in that case. Battle Born batteries don't use prismatic cells, they use cylindrical. The BMS is not anything special, though.

What I'd want to see in the case of these random super cheap Chinese battery packs is the quality of the wiring inside, as well as the BMS, etc. There are some that have been torn down and look pretty good, but some of the really cheap ones are trash. SOK is good.
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sat in a workshop given by NYFD on Lithium Ion battery fires and take it very seriously if one catches on fire. The smoke is incredibly toxic and contains heavy metals and depending on the size you will play hell trying to put the fire out and will NOT be able to clean the area once contaminated.
    Larry & Deb
    2022 Reflection 337 RLS
    2021 F350 Lariat SRW
    Eastern Ks.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jstchilln View Post
    I sat in a workshop given by NYFD on Lithium Ion battery fires and take it very seriously if one catches on fire. The smoke is incredibly toxic and contains heavy metals and depending on the size you will play hell trying to put the fire out and will NOT be able to clean the area once contaminated.
    One thing to consider is that LiFePO4 batteries are a significantly lower fire hazard than the typical lithium ion batteries most people are familiar with (laptop, smartphones, etc).
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    justchillin I sat in a workshop given by NYFD on Lithium Ion battery fires and take it very seriously if one catches on fire. The smoke is incredibly toxic and contains heavy metals and depending on the size you will play hell trying to put the fire out and will NOT be able to clean the area once contaminated.

Quote Originally Posted by rootusrootus View Post
    One thing to consider is that LiFePO4 batteries are a significantly lower fire hazard than the typical lithium ion batteries most people are familiar with (laptop, smartphones, etc).

I agree with rootusrootus, LiFePo4, Lithium Iron Phosphate, batteries are safer than Lithium Ion batteries. LiFePo4 use a completely different and inherently safer battery chemistry.

To be clear, all of the batteries listed in the spreadsheet and mentioned in the original post are LiFePo4 batteries and not the less thermally stable Lithium Ion batteries.

Interestingly, I just read about a team of researchers at Penn State who have devised a method to charge LiFePo4 batteries very, very fast. Basically, what they do is heat the batteries up to 140 degrees (F) before charging them. This helps make the case that LiFePo4 batteries are a safer chemistry.
    Last edited by SolarPoweredRV; 01-18-2021 at 10:36 PM.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The issue is the flooded ( no pun intended) market of cheap, poorly manufacture market of cells which may not be as bulletproof as Battle Born or Blue, but have great cheap costs.

This coupled with the safety concerns with all lithium’s kept me in the safe Lead batteries
    Oasis Firefly carbon foam AGM are not your fathers AGMs

https://coastalclimatecontrol.com/in...g-reveals.html

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vi6czCNSqp8
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast