User Tag List

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just my personal opinion. If I have $60,000 invested in a camper and I'm sleeping above the compartment where the batteries are located. I'm buying the most reputable brand I can get.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will Prowse on you tube has done reviews of other brands that he tests and takes apart to see how they are built. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buNxclZixuU He also has some information on building your own which might make sense on larger banks.

There are definitely differences but there are some excellent choices for a better price, about 40% less, or more Ah for the same money. Here is an example of one he took apart and was impressed with. https://bigbattery.com/products/12v-...r-block/?ref=8 For me I would find a high quality battery at a decent price but not a rock bottom price. For instance the big battery you can get a 170ah battery for the same price as a 100ah Battleborn. Or you can make yourself a bank for less than 1/2, maybe a 1/3.
    Dan, Ponderosa Park, CO
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE (SOLD)
    2023 Hiker Mid Range Deluxe 5x9 (Due Oct 2023)
    2018 Nissan Titan Crew

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watching the teardowns convinced me that if I wanted a drop-in, I'd be pretty tempted by either SOK or BigBattery. Though the Battle Borns are pretty sweet and uniquely constructed, it's hard to ignore the more competitive options out there. I would totally skip all the random Chinese batteries on Amazon, though. Most/all are just crap, when you look inside.
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will also tore down the Lion Energy and thought they were decent. Posts aren't as good as Battleborn but overall construction was good.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    Will also tore down the Lion Energy and thought they were decent. Posts aren't as good as Battleborn but overall construction was good.
    Same price as the BB, though. I'll have to go watch his teardown video for that one, I'm curious how it is built.
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rootusrootus View Post
    Same price as the BB, though. I'll have to go watch his teardown video for that one, I'm curious how it is built.
    Yeah, no way I'd pay full price for the Lion Energy but they are frequently on sale at Costco for $699. Inexpensive way to introduce yourself to LiFePO4.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    When it comes to replacing your Lead Acid Batteries with Lithium Batteries, Battle Born is the "Gold Standard" brand to install, unfortunately, the brand also carries a premium price. Lithium batteries (LiFePo4 chemistry) have been around for quite some time and it is about time prices start to become more reasonable. Have you ever said to yourself; I would love to have Lithium batteries in my RV, but, the price is just too steep, I'll wait till the price comes down.

Well...

For those who are more price conscious (frugal) the prices have come down for Lithium Batteries (LiFePo4 Batteries). To be specific, you can now power your RV for ~ 70% less than the price of installing Battle Born Batteries.

I spent the day researching LiFePo4 (Lithium Iron Phosphate) batteries and I have found batteries as low as $271 for a 100ah (equivalent) Lithium Battery. Compared to a Battle Born Battery at $949 that is quite a deal !!!!!

Now these batteries are not covered by a 10 warranty, nor are they supported by a dealer network, but they are cheap and they cost less than AGM Batteries.

I realize not everyone is willing to go with the cheapest battery on the market, but I have also created a Spreadsheet with several options priced between these two extremes.

I will attach the Spreadsheet below.

The lowest price is based on a 12v, 200ah, LiFePo4 battery sourced from AliBaba in China and shipped direct. The pricing is based on ordering a single battery and paying shipping charges from China, if you were to order more than a single battery, the pricing might be lower due to lower shipping charges per battery.

I realize that not everyone is adventurous enough to order your LiFePo4 Batteries direct from China (where most LiFePo4 batteries are made), but for those who are daring enough, your wallet will thank you (to be honest, if this were an option available to me a few years ago, I would have purchased these batteries direct from China).

If you are considering installing a Robust Solar and Lithium Battery System, I would strongly suggest you consider installing a 24 volt system instead of sticking with a 12 volt system there are many advantages to a 24v system. If you do consider a 24v system, you should search for 24v LiFePo4 batteries (all the batteries on my Spreadsheet are 12 volts).

I have also included several batteries available from Amazon with free shipping (I love those magic words) and some even have Warranties that compare favorably with Battle Born Batteries.

I have sorted my list by $ per Amp Hour to allow for better comparison between the different Amp Hour offerings shown. Additionally, I have included the web link to the page where I found the batteries and pricing. Please note that these links may not be accurate for more than a few days after I post this.

If anybody decides to purchase any of the batteries listed, please post a note about your experience and how you like your new (cheap) battery or batteries.
    No thanks. I'll stick with a proven AMERICAN made product from a proven, customer oriented company.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rootusrootus View Post
    Watching the teardowns convinced me that if I wanted a drop-in, I'd be pretty tempted by either SOK or BigBattery. Though the Battle Borns are pretty sweet and uniquely constructed, it's hard to ignore the more competitive options out there. I would totally skip all the random Chinese batteries on Amazon, though. Most/all are just crap, when you look inside.

Totally agree. I wish I would have bought the BigBattery 170Ah or even a SOK instead of the 100Ah BattleBorn I bought. I wasn't sure the single 100Ah would be enough. It seems that a 100Ah Li compares to about 250Ah AGM. I had 300Ahm of AGM and 300 watts of solar in my old trailer and never ran out of power even running the furnace in the fall. I have 350 watts of solar and just one 100Ah Li in the new GD. I am getting great power out the solar bank. I have pretty modest power use even though I boondock mostly (no AC, no Microwave while boondocking)

I am thinking I will just add another Li battery later if needed. I am guessing I could add any size of Li to the existing 100Ah Li? Thinking adding a 170Ah would give me more than enough power at 270Ah. Thoughts?
    Dan, Ponderosa Park, CO
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE (SOLD)
    2023 Hiker Mid Range Deluxe 5x9 (Due Oct 2023)
    2018 Nissan Titan Crew

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiejack75 View Post
    No thanks. I'll stick with a proven AMERICAN made product...
    Do you mean American assembled product?
    Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiejack75 View Post
    No thanks. I'll stick with a proven AMERICAN made product from a proven, customer oriented company.
    Just out of curiosity, if you had the skills and desire, would you purchase the Prismatic batteries (grade A) and BMS direct from China and build your own battery bank? The reason I ask is because your homemade battery bank would be just as American made as the Battle Born batteries are, after all, the BB are made with Chinese parts and assembled in America so your homemade battery would be the same.

I think that I would tackle the project just to say "I did it".
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast