User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Basement Door Won't stay Closed

Anyone having problems with the basement door on the driver's side opening while going down the highway? It latches good, can't pull it open when locked but driving down the road and it comes open. Seems to be worse on rough roads, been using a strip of gorilla tape to keep it shut. Everything looks straight, nothing bent, don't know what to think.
    2020 Ford F-350 King Ranch, 2021 Momentum 397TH, Kawasaki KRX 1000

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you watched the rear view mirror(s) for frame flex while going down the road? If everything interfaces well and the latch has enough bite, this would be the only other thing I could think of.

BTW, welcome to the forum!

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you talking about a slam latch or a twist lock?

If twist lock, mine would come open from vibration and gravity. I took the lock apart and reconfigured it to rotate the other direction so gravity would keep it latched.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    Are you talking about a slam latch or a twist lock?

If twist lock, mine would come open from vibration and gravity. I took the lock apart and reconfigured it to rotate the other direction so gravity would keep it latched.
    I need to do this to mine. One of the propane doors opened on the way home from our last trip.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everything looks good

Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Have you watched the rear view mirror(s) for frame flex while going down the road? If everything interfaces well and the latch has enough bite, this would be the only other thing I could think of.

BTW, welcome to the forum!

Rob
    Everything looks good, door seems to latch securely. It seems like with vibration the slam latch works back and releases the door. Maybe if the door wasn't so tight when it's closed the latch wouldn't work itself back and open, then of course it would leak dust, water. Just spit balling here, I don't know how that sucker opens back up.

When we get home in a few months I'll have the dealer look at it if we don't come up with something (other than gorilla tape) before then. I can't be the only one that this happens too. The RV itself seems to built better than our previous one, kind of surprised we are having this problem.

And thanks, looks like a pretty good forum to be part of.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put your cell phone in movie mode and start recording. Place the camera in the compartment such that it's pointing at the latch and close the basement door. Maybe seeing how the latch engages will give you an idea why it's not staying closed.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll give that a try. Wonder if I could get my wife to ride in there and see what's going on..........probably not!