User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which RV to choose

Yall I need some help:

First all, a little background, I have been in a camper most of my life, so I’m very comfortable with all the hookups etc.. when I was a kid and I wasn’t in school we were on the creek bank fishing and staying in my parents Allegro, Holiday Rambler, or they had a couple of different fifth wheels that I can’t remember now. Since I have been an adult I have also owned a Class A Country Coach previously, but lost that like everything else in my divorce. This will be me purchasing my first RV by myself for myself.

I have recently got a new job and am travelling all over the mountain/ desert area (Arizona, Colorado, Montana, Washington, Idaho) for work and I do not want to have to sell my home in Alabama, because I am hoping that eventually maybe 3 to 5 years (hopefully sooner) I will be able to transfer back down that way with this job. So I’m thinking that buying a RV kind of makes sense.

I am currently shopping for a travel trailer, I have been researching Grand Design and I really like their 297 RSTS, but also the Jayco White Hawk 32KBS has caught my eye as it checks all my boxes. However my tow vehicle is a 2020 GMC Sierra 1500 with 9,300 lbs conventional towing capacity, and both these rv’s dry weight is 1,000-1,200 lbs LESS than my 9,300 lbs towing capacity.

My question is would that be ok as long as I what is conservative on the gear that I bring with me? Also between these two rigs which one would you guys go with brand new?

Don’t worry I’m posting the same question on the Jayco forum as well, I want the most feedback that I can get.

The main things that are my must haves are a washer dryer connection, and a good all weather package due to the climate where I am at. Some of true creature comforts that I would LIKE, but that I don’t have to have are a king size bed, an island in the kitchen, and the fireplace.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The quick answer is NO. You do not have enough truck.
    Use the search feature and get the
    Many threads on payload.

Welcome and happy travels in the
    Trailer of your choice with a
    one ton truck.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. Truck is inadequate Payload capacity for your truck is 1,570 to 2,280 lbs
    It’s not all about towing capacity your other criteria is payload capacity
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look on the drivers door jamb of your truck and tell us what your payload capacity is
    It is on your tire sticker
    Depending on truck options this is likely under 1600 lbs. some can be as low as 1100lbs

My truck I speced bare so I have over 1800 lbs

The GD with a hundred pound hitch will have close to 1400 plus pounds of TW
    Some will get transferred to the trailer axles but I doubt you will have the capacity

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew 1840 payload
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey NB, my truck is a bare bones SLE crew 4x4 with 2120 payload capacity. I’m confused about the tongue weight you mentioned I thought tongue weight was factored at 10% of trailer weight and even if I add 100 lbs to it I’m still under, albeit at the edge. So you guys have got me thinking, the imagine 2970RL has some of the features I want and is well within my trailering limits fully loaded. Would that be a better choice for my 1500 truck? Or I have also thought about trading in my truck for maybe a 2500 gas burner to be able to comfortable accommodate the larger trailers, but I hate to do that because I use my truck to drive all over for work. Hell I don’t know, but I do know that I am going to buy an RV and I want to be comfortable, I am just trying to find the right one. So I am open to suggestions (I do not need a BH) However as this is my first one on my own that I am going to be responsible for towing I’m thinking that I would be better off just getting something smaller anyway until I get used to everything.
    Last edited by JoJoGlow; 01-16-2021 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Added information

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGlow View Post
    Hey NB, my truck is a bare bones SLE crew 4x4 with 2120 payload capacity. I’m confused about the tongue weight you mentioned I thought tongue weight was factored at 10% of trailer weight and even if I add 100 lbs to it I’m still under, albeit at the edge. So you guys have got me thinking, the imagine 2970RL has some of the features I want and is well within my trailering limits fully loaded. Would that be a better choice for my 1500 truck? Or I have also thought about trading in my truck for maybe a 2500 gas burner to be able to comfortable accommodate the larger trailers, but I hate to do that because I use my truck to drive all over for work. Hell I don’t know, but I do know that I am going to buy an RV and I want to be comfortable, I am just trying to find the right one. So I am open to suggestions (I do not need a BH) However as this is my first one on my own that I am going to be responsible for towing I’m thinking that I would be better off just getting something smaller anyway until I get used to everything.
    Wow 2120 is high. Didn’t know the new design changed that much. I have to look into that

1st thing is TW 10 percent that auto manufacturers spec is for towing a boat. With a boat 10 percent is fine but for a travel trailer the front of the trailer is a wall that hits the wind while you drive and will “lift” up reducing TW. Therefore 13-15 percent is a safe range
    2nd I would not just get any trailer. If you find the need to trade trailers in a short time you will tend to lose many if not tens of thousands of dollars
    You are better to buy the right trailer and risk needing to trade trucks which hold their value much better
    YMMV

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew 1840 payload
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plug all the numbers in here and listen to what others are telling you. 12 - 13% of the trailer's GVWR is the best number to use for the trailer's loaded tongue weight. The rest of the numbers come off the door sticker on your truck.

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-tt.shtml

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey NB, my truck is a bare bones SLE crew 4x4 with 2120 payload capacity. I’m confused about the tongue weight you mentioned I thought tongue weight was factored at 10% of trailer weight and even if I add 100 lbs to it I’m still under, albeit at the edge. So you guys have got me thinking, the imagine 2970RL has some of the features I want and is well within my trailering limits fully loaded. Would that be a better choice for my 1500 truck?
    No way do you want to tow a 2970 Imagine with a half ton truck. I pulled a 2017 Imagine 2950RL (the 2970's predecessor) with a 2017 F250 diesel with 2200 lbs of payload and you definitely knew it was back there. The scaled, loaded for camping tongue weight on it was over 1400 pounds! It is a way heavier trailer than you think, the water tank being upfront doesn't help. You can see pics of that trailer and truck in my profile album. You need a least a 3/4 ton gas or more for the trailers you're talking about.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will take a different approach than the rest of the knowledgeable people here. I have towed a 297RSTS with a 2009 Tundra. My payload was 1260 lbs per the door sticker. My towing capacity was 10,100 lbs. Basically my Tundra was maxed out everywhere, it was actually 257 lbs over the payload rating but still under the axle rating. The Tundra towed the trailer very well so it can be done. The 297RSTS weighed in at 9380 lbs loaded for travel but without any water. I also knew the trailer was back there. All weights were from a CAT scale. I do find though that towing with a 3500 RAM better but really only got the 3500 as we will likely upgrade to a 5th wheel before we are ready for a new truck. I also know that the trailer is back there with the 3500 as well. With a good WDH such as a Reese Straightline or similar you can do it with your truck but just remember you will be right at or over some of the limits.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Plug all the numbers in here and listen to what others are telling you. 12 - 13% of the trailer's GVWR is the best number to use for the trailer's loaded tongue weight. The rest of the numbers come off the door sticker on your truck.

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-tt.shtml

Rob
    Hey Second,

I am trying to fill out the link you sent, how can I find the RGAW? I am having trouble finding it, I did not see it on my sticker in my truck, i did see RGAWR, but not the actual weight of the axle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast