User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    With a good WDH set up properly you won't need air bags. I never did and had a 1300+ lb tongue weight with the 297 RSTS. Also a good WDH setup properly will go a long way to help with the pushing. I towed with my 2009 Tundra for 11 years and only the highest winds pushed me around but then they were pushing the big rigss too. The key is a good WDH and having it setup properly with the front end with all the unloaded weight back on it. This will prevent the need for airbags and with the push.

Rob
    Well clearly you must be the Toyota Tundra and WDH expert. I must have imagined being blown around on the interstate. I’m glad you set my memory straight.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmartin189 View Post
    Well clearly you must be the Toyota Tundra and WDH expert. I must have imagined being blown around on the interstate. I’m glad you set my memory straight.
    Your WDH was either an inferior brand with chains or it was a quality anti sway hitch set up poorly

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew 1840 payload
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmartin189 View Post
    My isn't someone sensitive about someone elses experience not being the same as theirs. I am by no means or have every stated that I was any kind of expert. I have only relayed my experience just like you did. I am sure that you didn't imagine being blown around on the interstate. However I do know that with my Reese Straightline properly tweeked I didn't need airbags and did not have the same experience as you had even with a much heavier trailer. All setups are not created or setup equal.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tow a slightly smaller 2400BH with my 2017 Tundra TRD Pro. Fully loaded to camp and everyone in the truck I’m just a hair over payload but not quite over RAWR. I’ve spent some quality time at the CAT scale to dial everything in at this weight and the result is that even though we are at or slightly over the truck’s available payload, it doesn’t look or drive like I’m anywhere close to being over payload. It’s stable and predictable at all speeds, in the wind, passing and being passed by 18-wheelers, winding mountain roads, you name it. I keep fine tuning the packing so eventually I might be slightly under max payload. I will admit that it was a little twitchy with the initial half-assed setup the rv dealer did but good enough to get me home. The Tundra tows pretty good for a half-ton truck. Decent power as long as you don’t mind winding the engine up. Over 60 mph, you can really feel the wind resistance of the trailer tax the tundra drivetrain. Of course, I’m on 35” tires and stock 4.30 gearing so that doesn’t help either. I haven’t made up my mind if I’m going to drop down a tire size or two or re-gear the truck which would put the power band back to stock. I’ve also considered upgrading to a 3/4 or one ton single wheel truck but that is definitely not in the budget for the foreseeable future.

I almost purchased a 2800BH and have some regret not doing so. The lack of interior room and an actual couch sure makes the 2400 seem cramped on extended stays. Even though I’d end up even more overloaded, the extra room would be worth it. Actually, both my kids have grown like weeds since we’ve purchased our 2400 and the bunks are tight, especially for my oldest. That being said, I’d probably skip the bunks and look for one with a bigger living room/kitchen and jack knife sofas or something like that. For now, the 2400 gets the job done and we are comfortable in it for the most part. It’s easy to tow and maneuver, even in city traffic or on a dirt road in the mountains.

Hope this helps. Here’s our rig;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2775_heic-S.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	31660

Name:	IMG_2719_heic-S.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	31661
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Double cab

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by That 1 Ron View Post
    I tow a slightly smaller 2400BH with my 2017 Tundra TRD Pro. Fully loaded to camp and everyone in the truck I’m just a hair over payload but not quite over RAWR. I’ve spent some quality time at the CAT scale to dial everything in at this weight and the result is that even though we are at or slightly over the truck’s available payload, it doesn’t look or drive like I’m anywhere close to being over payload. It’s stable and predictable at all speeds, in the wind, passing and being passed by 18-wheelers, winding mountain roads, you name it. I keep fine tuning the packing so eventually I might be slightly under max payload. I will admit that it was a little twitchy with the initial half-assed setup the rv dealer did but good enough to get me home. The Tundra tows pretty good for a half-ton truck. Decent power as long as you don’t mind winding the engine up. Over 60 mph, you can really feel the wind resistance of the trailer tax the tundra drivetrain. Of course, I’m on 35” tires and stock 4.30 gearing so that doesn’t help either. I haven’t made up my mind if I’m going to drop down a tire size or two or re-gear the truck which would put the power band back to stock. I’ve also considered upgrading to a 3/4 or one ton single wheel truck but that is definitely not in the budget for the foreseeable future.

I almost purchased a 2800BH and have some regret not doing so. The lack of interior room and an actual couch sure makes the 2400 seem cramped on extended stays. Even though I’d end up even more overloaded, the extra room would be worth it. Actually, both my kids have grown like weeds since we’ve purchased our 2400 and the bunks are tight, especially for my oldest. That being said, I’d probably skip the bunks and look for one with a bigger living room/kitchen and jack knife sofas or something like that. For now, the 2400 gets the job done and we are comfortable in it for the most part. It’s easy to tow and maneuver, even in city traffic or on a dirt road in the mountains.

Hope this helps. Here’s our rig;

Name:	IMG_2775_heic-S.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	31660

Name:	IMG_2719_heic-S.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	31661
    Thanks for the info. Going to give it a try knowing I will mostly likely be over payload some. We are weekend warriors and no mountains or any crazy terrain, typically stay within a couple hours of the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Name:	8F9DB208-7676-4DEC-AD63-37E6DE14903C.jpeg 
Views:	12 
Size:	619.8 KB 
ID:	31722I have a ‘12 Tundra 2wd 5.7 and a 2800
    Upgrade to E rated tires and better shocks for starters
    I have a Blue Ox sway pro with 1k bars
    Keep it under 70, which is the max you should tow anything anyway
    My payload is 1455, 4 yrs no issues if you don’t overdrive the pkg
    Last edited by Outcamping; 01-23-2021 at 02:54 PM.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pulling a 2800bh with 2018 tundra dc. Tongue weight approaching 1000# with equalizer 1000 wdh. You’ll definitely know it’s back there. Feels the wind. Power not a problem, I run 62/65mph. Putting on E rated tires this spring. Keep as much of you load in the camper as possible, balance it over the axles and good wdh properly setup you’ll be okay. Would not go any bigger!
    Dan
    2020 Imagine 2800BH
    2018 Toyota Tundra
    Equalizer WDH

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Truck has load range E’s on jt already will be jacking them up to 80 for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of great feedback and insight provided so far.

I have a 2019 Tundra Limited Crewmax with a 2020 2800BH running a Recurve 3 WDH on 800lbs bars. I'll happily contribute.

I can't emphasize enough how important it is to get the hitch tuned properly. Tape measure will get you close, but a CAT scale will help you fine tune it. For about $14 and an hour of time, mine is tuned within 20lbs of unloaded front axle weight. If one is nearby, you'll want to validate the configuration as you adjust your packing habbits and gear. Took us about 4 differrent teips to find our baseline.

Once the hitch was set, the first thing I did was add a rear sway bar. Huge improvement in rear end stability with and without trailer.

After our first trip, I realized the stock shocks (black, non-TRD) were too soft for towing and I added Bilstein 5100 fronts and 5160 rears. This elimated 90% of the porpoising and made me feel like the truck was in better control of the trailer. Well worth the few bucks and the ride is more predictable unloaded as well.

With that adressed, we invested in a $15 obdII bluetooth adapter and the OBD Fusion app so we could precisely monitor the transmission temps and many other sensors. Yours has the factory external trans cooler, but monitoring is helpful. A Google search will lead you to the Tundra forums of where you can find endless examples of gauges and data points you likely never thought about. Obviously you'll need to use your tow/haul mode and with that, we can easily control our trans temps with the use of the app and manually controlling the trans. 4th is 1-to-1 and is great for temps, but not for fuel economy. 5tth is first overdrive and we use this on flat roads at highway speed. We no longer run in D due to gear hunting and trans temps while it tries to lock up the converter.

We're upgrading to E rated tires this spring and we have our CB radio tuned, but it's all about being smart and knowing the limits of your ability and your truck's capability. Chalk test for tire pressure settings, trailer tire pressures always checked, hub temps monitored, a rear view camera with microphone, factory tow mirrors, and continuous scrutiny of paseenger cargo to keep payload (stuff) weights down are all important. Trailer payload gets eaten up just as fast, which is why scales are your friend. Also, speed kills, and expect 8-11mpg based on terrain, speed, headwind and load.

Look at a company named Coachbuilder for upgraded rear shackles as well, as they will help with any remaining rear end wiggle.

Otherwise, keep your anti-sway solution (built in to our Recurve) tight and know there is no prize for pushing your own limits. The drive to and from is half the fun and it shouldnt ruin your experience. This goes for all occupants, not just the driver. To assist in the experience, we're likely going to use one of the RV specific GPS applications so we can avoid the higher grades and low clearances.

It's a great trailer and the Tundra is more than capable of towing it, stock, and even better with just a few upgrades.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tundra has less payload than other full size trucks generally. If your truck has a 4.30 rear end you must get horrific gas mileage...Toyota consistently ranks just ahead of Titan for poor fuel economy.
    Spike & Kimberly
    2020 Imagine 2970RL
    2021 F-350 7.3L CC LB SRW
    2002 GMC 2500HD 6.6L -Traded

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast