User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What To Do On The Way West.....

It seems more and more folks are looking for routes west, things to do in Utah (National Parks), Wyoming (more national parks), and what to see at those places and how long to stay.

So what about the trip to and from.... Do folks just motor on out and back without stopping? Do they think there is nothing on the way from the eastern states to Utah, Wyoming, northern Arizona & such? Or maybe they just don't want to take the time between their eastern homes and the western attractions to sightsee oddities.

In this thread lets list places NOT IN UTAH, WYOMING or NORTHERN ARIZONA and NOT NATIONAL PARKS. Instead, tell us about some of the lesser know places to stop or visit. The guidelines would be those above with maybe a focus on what in states like Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska and North & South Dakota.

Here are some examples...

Hutchinson, Kansas - salt mines
    Regent, ND - the Enchanted Highway
    Cooperstown, ND - Ronald Reagan Minuteman Missile State Historic Site

Happy trails....... try going where there aren't crowds.....
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Corn Palace - Mitchell, SD
    Earthquake Lake - Cameron, MT
    Geographic center of contiguous states - Lebanon, KS

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my favorites - Carhenge in Alliance, NE. See https://carhenge.com/
    John & Cheryl
    Sold: 2017 Tiffin Allegro 31SA Motorhome
    Sold: 2017 Reflection 337RLS, dual pane windows, 2nd A/C, Go Power! Solar Elite w/2000 watt inverter, Titan electric/hydraulic brakes, Goodyear Endurance ST235/85 R16 tires
    Sold: 2015 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD, SRW, Duramax/Allison, 50 gallon Transfer Flow auxiliary tank
    States we have camped in with an RV:

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Custer state park SD Near Mt Rushmore. Badlands, Black Hills area. Lots of places north and south of I90.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Death Valley & Mt Whitney in Eastern CA.
    115 miles apart, lowest point in the Western Hemisphere to tallest mountain in the lower 48.
    John, Susan & Luke
    2015 Reflection 303 RLS #867
    Bakersfield, CA

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watch the four seasons of Deadwood on HBO and then stop in Deadwood, SD and have a drink at The Gem. Less than one hour south of I-90.

2018 F-250 6.7L Leveled, 35’s.
    2019 Imagine 2500RL, 640w Solar, Lion UT1300s, 3000w Inverter
    CRE3000, Sumosprings

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sort of pains me you left out Texas; you know how we are. But I'll get over it.

FWIW here are a few things around Texas that I think are well worth taking a slightly southern route to get from the east to your western destinations. I'll try to list these from north to south as I live north of Amarillo where I am more familiar with attractions than farther south.

Alibates National Flint Quarries & Monument-near Fritch (my home)

Lake Meredith; holding state records for walleye and small mouth bass-also near Fritch

Palo Duro Canyon State Park-east of Canyon. the second largest Canyon in the lower 48 & setting for
    the outdoor play Texas.

Caprock Canyons State Park ~8 miles north of Quitaque (pronounced kitty-quay) home of the official state bison herd.

Copper Breaks State Park-near Quannah. Sort of a hidden gem.

Lake Fork- DFW area & well known for some of the best black bass fishing in the state.

Hill country-encompasses a huge area in the center of the state created by an ancient granite dome (The Enchanted Rock) and home to many great attractions like the strong German influences in Fredericksburg, The Alamo in San Antonio, huge fields of bluebonnets (bloom peak April through May) and of course Enchanted Rock State Park. And if you are into motorcycling or trikes, the twisty roads of the hill country are phenomenal. The best known of those would be three FM roads 335, 336 and 337 bearing the moniker, "the Twisted Sisters" with over 600 curves in approximately 150 miles. Even if I40 may be as far south as you want to go there are some very fun twisty roads in the Panhandle I'd be happy to share if biking is your cup-O-tea and you bring one in or behind your RV.
    those who say "I can't", will always be right

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTx View Post
    It sort of pains me you left out Texas; you know how we are. But I'll get over it.

FWIW here are a few things around Texas that I think are well worth taking a slightly southern route to get from the east to your western destinations. I'll try to list these from north to south as I live north of Amarillo where I am more familiar with attractions than farther south.

Alibates National Flint Quarries & Monument-near Fritch (my home)

Lake Meredith; holding state records for walleye and small mouth bass-also near Fritch

Palo Duro Canyon State Park-east of Canyon. the second largest Canyon in the lower 48 & setting for
    the outdoor play Texas.

Caprock Canyons State Park ~8 miles north of Quitaque (pronounced kitty-quay) home of the official state bison herd.

Copper Breaks State Park-near Quannah. Sort of a hidden gem.

Lake Fork- DFW area & well known for some of the best black bass fishing in the state.

Hill country-encompasses a huge area in the center of the state created by an ancient granite dome (The Enchanted Rock) and home to many great attractions like the strong German influences in Fredericksburg, The Alamo in San Antonio, huge fields of bluebonnets (bloom peak April through May) and of course Enchanted Rock State Park. And if you are into motorcycling or trikes, the twisty roads of the hill country are phenomenal. The best known of those would be three FM roads 335, 336 and 337 bearing the moniker, "the Twisted Sisters" with over 600 curves in approximately 150 miles. Even if I40 may be as far south as you want to go there are some very fun twisty roads in the Panhandle I'd be happy to share if biking is your cup-O-tea and you bring one in or behind your RV.
    I wasn't pickin' on ya.... I was just thinking further north in some more remote states. Oh wait - West TX - that's pretty remote!!!! haha....

see you in San Antonio and Big Bend in March. I'll won't be stopping at our usual steak place - Big Texan in Amarillo.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    I wasn't pickin' on ya.... I was just thinking further north in some more remote states. Oh wait - West TX - that's pretty remote!!!! haha....

see you in San Antonio and Big Bend in March. I'll won't be stopping at our usual steak place - Big Texan in Amarillo.
    Nice! Make sure give us a holler, would be great to meet you Larry.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this might not be what you are looking for Larry, but there are sights like this all over the great USA.

World's Largest Ball of Twine Cawker City, Kansas

I haven't been there yet. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast