User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Question Inverter Install Above Lead Acid Battery's OK or Not?

I have a good one for the experts. I am doing a phased install of equipment - ultimately getting to Lithium battery's (Battle Born).

However for now I am wanting to install it above my 2 vented 12V lead acid ones. Both battery's are in sealed vented cases (I can make the seal better too (around the cables) Vents run to the front of the trailer (stock location).

I have been looking at a lot of installs and reading installation manuals. Go Power ( ISW 3000) says separate room close to battery's as do some others. Some brands don't say. I am assuming they want to be away from any flammable gasses. With the Lithium battery's this will be a non issue ( a good year out). I have also seen a lot of install photos with the inverter in the same space as lead acid battery's

The place I am wanting to go is in the front compartment of my 5th wheel about 12" to 14" above the battery boxes (3" or 4" below ceiling) on the back wall. Its a good place for the cable runs to the inverter and to the distribution panel. If I must it can go in the pass through on the other side of the wall, but that space gets filled and I am concerned with the lack of air circulation. In my proposed location there will be plenty of space around it.

Thoughts on this?

Thanks
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My original install was on the other side of the wall, away from the LA batteries. I actually drilled a hole just large enough for wiring to go through. I also mounted my inverter on top of my cord reel......now with BB batteries everything is all the way
    behind false wall
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our Victron multiplex inverter charger is not over our Firefly Oasis AGM batteries. They are in the pass through behind the Water station tied down. They don’t gas and the requirement for wet cell batteries being in a vented space and in acid proof contained boxes is not the same for AGM.

I would say the change of any explosive gases igniting are even less than the supposed chances of the Li batteries going into a thermal runaway and blowing up. It’s funny I have never seen any reports of lead acid batteries having the same issues with those kind of explosive results, even the wet cells. There is no issue with lead acid batteries flying in the holds of airliners....but lithium, that’s a different issue.

In all truthfulness I think most of the REPUTABLE companies making lithium batteries have strict quality control and are safe. That issue may not hold for the glut of cheaper import knockoffs. In the Li battery there is only a thin strip between the two electrolytes which if punctured could be catastrophic. I would worry more about Li than the lead acid batteries.most lithium cells should not be held in an enclosed space greater than 45 degrees C OR 113 degrees F. There is anecdotal evidence that extremes in temperature affect Li negatively.

https://www.nature.com/articles/srep12967
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here’s mine, above 2-6volt batteries in a case designed for them with venting. Front compartment
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BB223531-6938-4FB6-9AB1-0BCC409DEA3E.jpeg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	31659

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Sailor View Post
    Our Victron multiplex inverter charger is not over our Firefly Oasis AGM batteries. They are in the pass through behind the Water station tied down. They don’t gas and the requirement for wet cell batteries being in a vented space and in acid proof contained boxes is not the same for AGM.

I would say the change of any explosive gases igniting are even less than the supposed chances of the Li batteries going into a thermal runaway and blowing up. It’s funny I have never seen any reports of lead acid batteries having the same issues with those kind of explosive results, even the wet cells. There is no issue with lead acid batteries flying in the holds of airliners....but lithium, that’s a different issue.

In all truthfulness I think most of the REPUTABLE companies making lithium batteries have strict quality control and are safe. That issue may not hold for the glut of cheaper import knockoffs. In the Li battery there is only a thin strip between the two electrolytes which if punctured could be catastrophic. I would worry more about Li than the lead acid batteries.most lithium cells should not be held in an enclosed space greater than 45 degrees C OR 113 degrees F. There is anecdotal evidence that extremes in temperature affect Li negatively.

https://www.nature.com/articles/srep12967
    Good morning Dave.

The Lithium battery's you mention (ones in laptops and cells phones) Can self destruct. That type what is discussed in your link. However the LiFePO4 battery's (battle Born and Lion. etc) are a totally different animal and will not spontaneously run away and self destruct. There was one test that someone shot a bullet through one and nothing happened. It still worked (lower capacity). I too had to read up on them as I was also misinformed on their safety. Lead acid Batterys can also explode - witnessed it first hand - fortunately no one was hurt, except the car. It blew the plastic front corner off (radiator/light benzyl and bowed fender)

Here is so light reading
    https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/arti...-overview.html
    https://relionbattery.com/uploads/im...iumBattery.pdf
    and from the gooberment
    https://www.fire.tc.faa.gov/pdf/TC-16-17.pdf

Hope this helps

Have a great week
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone. With proper battery case and venting I think I will be OK. Someone also reminded me that GD has the power buss bar directly behind their battery and on that bar are circuit breakers, etc that can spark when tripped.

Thanks again for all the input