User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help with tire knowledge.

I keep reading about E vs G tire rating. My 2021 Imagine 2500 RL came with WestLake ST205/75R15 107/102L tires. It has Load Rating D 8 P.R. on the tire. The tire also has 75mph max speed and made in China stamped on it GD trailer specs are: UVW 5857, Hitch Weight 581, GVWR 7495, Axle rating 3500.

Are these tires any good or should I replace them? They only have a couple hundred miles on them and look good. I have trips planned from Oxford, Mississippi to Key West in February and to the Grand Canyon and Zion in April/May.

Thanks for any advice!
    BigSam
    2021 Imagine 2500 RL
    2020 F150 SuperCab FX4 6.5 Bed 5.0L Engine
    Carry Cap 2066# Tow Cap 9100# Truck 7050# GWVR

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are brand new Why wouldn’t they be any good?

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew 1840 payload
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have a tpms?

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew 1840 payload
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure what a tpms is. There are a lot of topics on this site about bad and dangerous Westlake tires. Everyone seems to think E is bad and G is ok. Several post about blowout with under 2000 miles and people replacing with Goodyear.

Just trying to be safe, but would hate to just waste 5 good tires. I’m not a fan of made in China. Tested a 5000 lb hitch ball from China that came apart before 3000 lb. Cant trust any China labeling.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The load range G Westlake tires have proven to be a good tire... the LR D and E Westlakes not so much. Many people replace them with the Goodyear Endurance trailer tires for peace of mind. The TPMS referred to above is a tire pressure monitoring system. Sensor-transmitters go on each trailer wheel and send signals to a monitor inside your tow vehicle. It will alert you to low or high pressures and temperatures. Unfortunately, a TPMS may not be of any help in the event of a catastrophic tire failure such as delamination - the damage will have already been done. Personally, I would replace your LR D Westlakes with the Endurance tires - but only you can make that decision.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SecondChance has been around for a while and knows his stuff. I watch a couple different RV forums, the biggest hoohaw was the Westlake E rated tires on heavier 15k+ trailers. Once they went to G on those trailers there have been much fewer reported problems. In my reading, I have not seen any failure reports on the Westlake D rated tires. Doesn't mean anything, I don't read every single post.

I figured because I was pretty smart and anal about tire pressure I could get away with running the Westlake E rated tires on my Momentum 376, 41' long, right at 20k with triple axles. Nope, $3500 insurance claim proved me wrong, so as you may well guess I am not a fan of Westlake tires.

I am not very scientifical most times, I just look at stuff and decide whether or not it will work. So my advice to you is to look at your Westlakes, go to the tire store and look at the other tires. Which one looks beefier, more robust, etc. Then you have to factor in the "better safe than sorry" vs "how much money do I have in the bank" vs "what if I blow a tire?"

A note on Tire Pressure Monitor Systems (TPMS). I won't pull an RV trailer without them, they have saved my bacon so many times. Plus the advantage of getting in your truck in the morning and checking your tire pressure by pushing a button vs crawling around in the wet grass. My TPMS was telling me that the Westlake that blew was loosing pressure about a pound a day, no biggy right? But it was indication of tire tread separation, I ignored it, I paid the price.

I tend to err on the side of caution (except that once) because I don't like being stranded on the side of the road fixing tires....
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSam View Post
    I keep reading about E vs G tire rating. My 2021 Imagine 2500 RL came with WestLake ST205/75R15 107/102L tires. It has Load Rating D 8 P.R. on the tire. The tire also has 75mph max speed and made in China stamped on it GD trailer specs are: UVW 5857, Hitch Weight 581, GVWR 7495, Axle rating 3500.

Are these tires any good or should I replace them? They only have a couple hundred miles on them and look good. I have trips planned from Oxford, Mississippi to Key West in February and to the Grand Canyon and Zion in April/May.

Thanks for any advice!
    If you have concerns, look at the weight rating on your tires and take your trailer to a scale to determine what the axle weight is. We have several thousand miles on our 2018 303 with Westlake E rated tires. Checking air pressure to ensure proper inflation before you tow will prevent many issues. Ultimately it is your decision to change. I would not change until I knew my actual axle weight and compared that to the actual tire weight rating.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone. Peace of mind means a lot to me. The 2500 RL max weight is only 7500# so I’m probably OK, but will go Goodyear anyway. Will also add the tire monitoring system.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    the biggest hoohaw was the Westlake E rated tires on heavier 15k+ trailers. Once they went to G on those trailers there have been much fewer reported problems. In my reading, I have not seen any failure reports on the Westlake D rated tires.
    Dallas - thanks, for pointing this out. This key item seems to be getting lost in all the tire threads in the last several months. Using less than the proper rated/capacity tires has been the real issue in many cases.......not that Westlakes are a "bad" tire. The reliability of Westlakes has been very good. With the few reports of failure in recent years, it is often very challenging to determine why.

It is also interesting over the many years how a number of these tire failure reports come from relatively new posters who seem to dive in our of the dark of night with a tire failure as their only post(s) and/or complaining about GDRV in general. Hmm ? Reports of tire failure from longer time quality posters has great value where we can try to learn more and improve what is necessary going forward.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide